What is it not it is? Is it?

• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been holding on to some gig money with nothing gear-wise really appealing to me. Sounds like this might change soon.

Why not a fractal for the entry level/not beginner but not “pro”?

Tap into a large buyer base?

Means cheaper stuff and cheaper manufacturing of course, but I mean… under 800 usd at least and less features than the big boxes. Two three switches and let the rest be controlled by midi. Less dsp than FM3 maybe… idk…

dog loop GIF

I’d be okay with a plugin that actually ran on a dedicated (killer) audio interface where the software interface really was effectively Axe Edit controlling the plugin that runs on hardware dsp.

Season 4 Nbc GIF by The Good Place
Those who’d buy that already own at least two Apollos, I always felt those things are too expensive for what they do compared to a modeler in guitar pedal format.

With that said. The perfect homeplayers hardware still doesn’t exist imo…

Want switches and stomps, don’t want an amp.

I want an audio interface with amp cab modeling and built in fx loop for reamping a pedalboard…. but I won’t buy an UA.

I think both fractal and Line 6 should knock them out in that area…

Those who’d buy that already own at least two Apollos, I always felt those things are too expensive for what they do compared to a modeler in guitar pedal format.

With that said. The perfect homeplayers hardware still doesn’t exist imo…

Want switches and stomps, don’t want an amp.

I want an audio interface with amp cab modeling… but I won’t buy an UA.

I think both fractal and Line 6 should knock them out in that area…
My experience with UA has not been as Rosie as a lot of folks. Their stuff sounds great, but I find the app for their pedals to be super spotty and very clunky, and have had a bear of a time with my Solo in all sorts of ways in terms of it talking properly with my computer, etc. I suspect that has something to do with bus power and it constantly turning in/off disconnecting/reconnecting, but it still sucks. Also, while the tweed amp sim is great…the other UA amp plugins are kinda meh. And I don’t love the “holy hell, why do I have to have five different plugins that are all just slight variation on the same compressor”! Approach they have to their plugins. Would LOVE to have a Fractal take on this kind of device.

In terms of “we need a Fractal device for the common man!” … meh. If they go with an amp/cab only pedal by the time I add a reverb and a power supply to drive the reverb and amp/cab pedal, I’ve paid for an FM3.

They're ultimately just different approaches for different situations. There are absolutely specific uses where anything other than using a HW modeller would be daft. And likewise, working with plugins just makes certain things WAY more flexible, powerful, inspiring, easy, fast that anything else feels unnecessarily cumbersome.

As things stand Fractals stockpile of DSP vs the number of products they sell that take advantage of them has SO MUCH potential. They could (theoretically) release 10 new products that would all be wildly popular. There are also very valid reasons why they don't do that, but there is a ton of potential money on the table if they want it.
I like Fractal more, BUT the Helix ecosystem takes the cake, with Helix Native.

Ask 100 people which is the best modeler for amp tones and you'll get some consensus,
but at least a half dozen platforms would be getting multiple votes.

Ask the same 100 who has the best delays and verbs and Fractal would win by an overwhelming margin.

That being said, I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat!

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Ask 100 people which is the best modeler for amp tones and you'll get some consensus,
but at least a half dozen platforms would be getting multiple votes.

Ask the same 100 people who has the best delays and verbs and Fractal would win by an overwhelming margin.

That being said, I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat!

View attachment 26213
for $199

In terms of “we need a Fractal device for the common man!” … meh. If they go with an amp/cab only pedal by the time I add a reverb and a power supply to drive the reverb and amp/cab pedal, I’ve paid for an FM3.
No way an amp/cab only. I would say a proper signal chain. But not exactly as good as FM3

Back