• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the FX8 had clear limitations, as did the Axe FX Standard versus Ultra, as does the FM3 versus FM9, and FM9 versus Axe3. For instance, for a lot of people only having 1 delay or reverb block would be fine enough, for me it kills a product more than a lot of other things.

Limitations are obviously somewhat subjective, because they're based on a users notions about how they'd like to use a thing versus how they can use a thing.

I don't think enough good things can be said about the form factor of the VP4.

A few days ago I said I was looking at a used FM3 because I might as well check out fractal amp modelling. When I was properly digging into it I found out you could only use one reverb and delay block. For me that's an instant deal breaker.

I can't do the FM9 either because I don't want to use something that size with my wah and fuzz pedals. I also couldn't afford it tbh.

That leaves me with VP4. I can totally see how it wont work for others but a VP4, Wah, expression pedal and Tone bender is all I'd need. I'd still have room to chuck cool pedal du jour on my board too.

Well the FX8 had clear limitations, as did the Axe FX Standard versus Ultra, as does the FM3 versus FM9, and FM9 versus Axe3. For instance, for a lot of people only having 1 delay or reverb block would be fine enough, for me it kills a product more than a lot of other things.

Limitations are obviously somewhat subjective, because they're based on a users notions about how they'd like to use a thing versus how they can use a thing.

I don't think enough good things can be said about the form factor of the VP4.

Ok but FM3, FM9 are scaled down versions on the big boy therefore you know will have less of everyrhing.

Don't know, is just my impression I'm not saying I'm right but seeing a brand new FX only unit that seems to offer less (at least in some areas) han an HXFX is wired.

Don't know, is just my impression I'm not saying I'm right but seeing a brand new FX only unit that seems to offer less (at least in some areas) han an HXFX is wired.
I sort of agree. But also... I just keep thinking to myself about what scenarios I need more than 4 blocks for... and a lot of the time it tends to be to overcome some sort of limitation in the available processing (not enough tail on a reverb for instance, so stacking delays before it to increase the ambience) or to otherwise wash out the core guitar tone and turn it into something else. Which I know I can easily do with even just a single block on the Fractal side.

The fact that patches will spillover and that changes are gapless.... I tend to think that this is one effects unit where I truly could just think on a presets basis. Won't need to C*ck around with scenes, won't need to C*ck around with parallel paths and switching between them... there's a ton of housekeeping workflow on other devices that this one looks to be avoiding, and that is something that really appeals to me. Allows me to just focus purely on the sound.

Of course I'm aware of that but having the switching outs in the unit is soooooo much more practical.
Yeah, that is true. It is probably a cost cutting / size reducing measure not to include relay switching abilities on the unit. If you want it to be a certain size and under a specific price point then decisions need to be made.

The FX8 has relay switching abilities on the unit but I still need the Control Switcher for my Fryette Sig:X because it has more than two switchable functions.

Few setup ideas:
1728649826101.png

1728649902431.png

1728649941187.png

I think it's just different pros and cons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HX Effects is limited to 6 fx slots.

Let's say you want multiple drives to switch between. You can already waste a good 2-3 spots on the HX Effects on those, vs using channels on one block on the VP4. Same could be true for having several delays, modulations, or reverbs.

Where the HX Effects has an advantage is when you want to run a complex chain all at once, like Comp - Drive - Mod - EQ - Delay - Reverb. The way I'd get around that is two presets where Comp and Drive get swapped, as at least I don't often want to run Comp AND Drive together but instead it's Comp OR Drive.

I think it would be cool if Fractal could add a "preset EQ position" feature as a fw update, so you could put it before or after any block. Almost like a 5th block, and offer both graphic 10-band and parametric options like the Axe-Fx global EQ.

I think it would be cool if Fractal could add a "preset EQ position" feature as a fw update, so you could put it before or after any block. Almost like a 5th block, and offer both graphic 10-band and parametric options like the Axe-Fx global EQ.
On the other hand putting the eq before or after mods, delays and reverbs makes little or no difference at all.

Comp - Drive - Mod - EQ - Delay - Reverb.
This specific chain can be accomplished with the trick Orvillain mentioned previously, i.e. using the reverb block to do both delay and reverb (see the echo plate or echo room types for example)

PS: with the exception of the eq not being switchable within the preset I think.

If the fm3 only had an spdif input - i could use the VP4 for pre effects and FM3 for cab block and post effects - but then the FM3 is not very good for USB audio

It doesn't have...
All comes down to the features / price ratio.

Supporting more than 4 effects means an additional DSP, more switches, larger housing, larger LCD, etc. = higher price.

If it's not expensive, you get a lot for the price. And you can buy two.
Price in Thailand: 26,900 THB (~800 USD)

This specific chain can be accomplished with the trick Orvillain mentioned previously, i.e. using the reverb block to do both delay and reverb (see the echo plate or echo room types for example)

PS: with the exception of the eq not being switchable within the preset I think.
I think it's a workaround that you should not have to do, like on my pedalboard I would prefer not to have to use the delay side of my SA Collider when I have a Volante or El Capistan that sound better for tape delays.

For my uses though, 4 blocks at once is going to be enough most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back