• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An FM9 MKIIT is £1899 here in the UK, and I've danced around getting one in the past, to use with valve amps. It is objectively WAY more capable than the VP4, but on one level... the VP4 is more flexible precisely because it is a simple device you can pair with other things.

Like having a bunch of lego, as opposed to these huge all-in-one devices that try to trap you in an eco-system on some level.

Don't know if this is covered in the manual, I need to re-read it, but I was wondering what happens to the spdif out signal when the 4CM mode is turned on? Maybe it still outputs the stereo out signal?

Like having a bunch of lego, as opposed to these huge all-in-one devices that try to trap you in an eco-system on some level.
I'm so used to Fractal's usual vulgar display of power approach, and this is obviously a different paradigm. I had set my expectations for "honey, I shrunk the FM3". Personally, I can't picture seeing the VP4 and the FM3 side by side on the virtual store shelf and picking the VP4. Cheers to those who are looking forward to the VP4, though....

a 100% deal breaker for me
You're probably aware, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. You can get MIDI controlled boxes that do amp channel switching. I own the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and there are a few other boxes on the market that accomplish the same thing. As I understand it, the VP4 can send MIDI commands and thus could change amp channels with one of these devices as the go between.

You're probably aware, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. You can get MIDI controlled boxes that do amp channel switching. I own the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and there are a few other boxes on the market that accomplish the same thing. As I understand it, the VP4 can send MIDI commands and thus could change amp channels with one of these devices as the go between.
That was my plan!!!!!🤘

I'd say around 700£ then
I wasn't up to date on EUR/GBP rates, it seems brexit wasn't that bad after all :sneaky:

Yeah I was thinking £699 comparing the prices of the FM3 between Thailand and the UK. If it is then I'm about £100 better off than I thought I was going to be. This morning I was assuming about £800 for a VP4.

If its £700 for all of the fractal effects including being able to use two reverb engines and two delays at once seems a pretty good price to me. Certainly compared to strymon and meris.

Of course I'm aware of that but having the switching outs in the unit is soooooo much more practical.

Compressor, drive, EQ, delay, reverb. Absolutely common FX chain for yours truly, used for pretty much any lead sound since ages. Impossible with this guy. And I may even add another drive here and there (especially when running into clean pedal platform amps). Or a wah/filter.

As said before, IMO this could be a fantastic device (and perhaps even a bargain) for those looking for a spatial/modulation FX unit. But as the main device to run into either a pedal platform amp or using it in 4CM, I think there's better alternatives around.

As said before, IMO this could be a fantastic device (and perhaps even a bargain) for those looking for a spatial/modulation FX unit. But as the main device to run into either a pedal platform amp or using it in 4CM, I think there's better alternatives around.
Agree. I find it VERY lacking for a 4cm intended use device.

I mean... VERY VERY lacking.

I couldn´t use it, for instance, since I need to change amp channels, and I usually need more than 4 effects (even when I don´t use complex signal chains). Also, four footswitches are too few.

I´m a little surprised by this product, honestly.

Agree. I find it VERY lacking for a 4cm intended use device.

I mean... VERY VERY lacking.

I couldn´t use it, for instance, since I need to change amp channels, and I usually need more than 4 effects (even when I don´t use complex signal chains). Also, four footswitches are too few.

I´m a little surprised by this product, honestly.

See for me using a JVM and analogue drive/fuzz pedals this is great. It looks like I'll also be able to change the channels, modes, effects loop and reverb via midi with this.

My typical chain is:
Tuner
Volume Pedal
Wah Pedal
Drive Pedal
Delay 1
Delay 2
Reverb

.... this, my crybaby, and my lehle volume pedal.... I mean, add my JVM to the mix... or my Dual Rectifier with the midi doohicky box I have... that's a rig dudes.

If I'm honest, I was really hoping for more than 4 blocks at once. But a huge chunk of that is just block "GAS" ... I probably don't even need more than 4 blocks at once for the majority of the time.. and I can add other pedals to the setup.

I don't think this product is meant to be an all-in-one. I think it is meant to play nicely with your other stuff.

It actually looks incredible! Touchscreen is NOT needed as I've said in the past. Touchscreen would have been ONE way to solve the UX issues, but I think they've solved it very neatly here without the use of a touchscreen. People will know that I've been critical about Fractal's UX (not UI) in the past but I think this is a homerun for them. It looks amazing!

I think this also sets a very good direction that Fractal is moving in. A similar one for amp+cab (probably also including a drive block to not lose stereo capabilities of the VP4) would be amazing!

The good thing about this approach with not having an all in one box with a whole grid is that it appeals to regular analog amp people as well. Look at it as a gateway product into the Fractal universe.

Congratz to Fractal! Keep it up :cool:

My typical chain is:
Tuner
Volume Pedal
Wah Pedal
Drive Pedal
Delay 1
Delay 2
Reverb

.... this, my crybaby, and my lehle volume pedal.... I mean, add my JVM to the mix... or my Dual Rectifier with the midi doohicky box I have... that's a rig dudes.

If I'm honest, I was really hoping for more than 4 blocks at once. But a huge chunk of that is just block "GAS" ... I probably don't even need more than 4 blocks at once for the majority of the time.. and I can add other pedals to the setup.

I don't think this product is meant to be an all-in-one. I think it is meant to play nicely with your other stuff.

That's basically my take on it too.

What caught me by surprise about the VP4 is that has clear limitations, somenthing you don't usually associate with Fractal products.

I might have a skewed view but to me Fractal have always been the brand that makes full featured products with endless options.
Well the FX8 had clear limitations, as did the Axe FX Standard versus Ultra, as does the FM3 versus FM9, and FM9 versus Axe3. For instance, for a lot of people only having 1 delay or reverb block would be fine enough, for me it kills a product more than a lot of other things.

Limitations are obviously somewhat subjective, because they're based on a users notions about how they'd like to use a thing versus how they can use a thing.

I don't think enough good things can be said about the form factor of the VP4.

My typical chain is:
Tuner
Volume Pedal
Wah Pedal
Drive Pedal
Delay 1
Delay 2
Reverb

Block 1 - Compressor
Block 2 - Drive
Block 3 - EQ
Block 4 - Reverb, using the pre-delay as your delay pedal. IE: Two effects in one.

Exactly! Adds to what you already have or gives you the core to add to an amp. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back