• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing something but all the pics seem to suggest it's in a FM3 housing, right?
Nah. If you scroll back up and look at the close-ups you can see, while blurry, that (1) its shorter front-to-back than an FM3 since an FM3 would have substantial overhang on a metro board and (2), its a bit shorter vertically than an FM3. There appears to be a weird little ridge/crease at the transition from the switches to the screen/UI bit, too.

I think it's the dimensions of a FM3 but different layout
It's definitely smaller than an fm3, for sure in height and depth but I think also in length. Just look at the connections on the back and compare them to the FM3.
Also the screen looks smaller since it only has 4 knobs underneath it, the space on the right of the screen where buttons reside is way less too.
And doesn't look like it has room for scribble strip displays either.

By looking at the connections I'm starting to think this thing doesn't have an fx loop.
On the left there are 1 or at most 2 jacks that are probably exp pedal jacks.
Then there are other 4 jacks that are labeled in pairs, so I bet those are stereo input (L/Mono and R) and stereo out (L and R).
Then SPDIF (or phono in 😆), USB, probably some type of small midi connectors and DC in.

Tonight Show Friends GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I mean, is it THAT game changing compared to the existing FM line that he just HAD to gig with it?
Because a "gig test" is quite dangerous for professional acts if shit hits the fan.
Not game changing, but I would guess one doesn't build the kind of relationship he has with as many companies he has by drawing a line in the sand with "not gonna gig with it until others have".

If it’s an FX4, I will buy it in a split second. No hesitation, no questions asked.

Bidding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
What would an FX4 offer that an FM3 doesn't already offer? Apart from an extra footswitch? Wouldn't an FX unit be a subset of the functionality of an FM unit?

Or is this based on the assumption that an FX4 would be significantly cheaper?

What would an FX4 offer that an FM3 doesn't already offer? Apart from an extra footswitch? Wouldn't an FX unit be a subset of the functionality of an FM unit?
  • Extra footswitch goes a long way. 4 gives you 4/8 scenes, 3 scenes + tuner etc. That's a significant convenience over having to deal with hold functions and a whole footswitch navigation system to do things.
  • Smaller size is good. FM3 is quite tall and bulky to go nicely on a pedalboard IMO.
  • Potentially easier usability. I tried using the FM3 as my fx box for a bit and just got frustrated working the effects from the onboard UI.

Or is this based on the assumption that an FX4 would be significantly cheaper?
I would guess that they would include relays for amp channel switching and they would have the proper converters for use in 4CM. It has been stated by FAS that the FM3 is inferior to the Axe-FX III and FM9 for use in 4CM because the hardware is different.

All accounts are the FM3 isn’t the most transparent or easiest to use in 4CM with amps.
That's interesting, since I keep reading (here) that the QC sucks for 4CM leveling, etc., and the FM3 is the preferred solution. (Though "better" does not necessarily imply "good"?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back