• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5ms. Using a cheap Motu M2.
3.5ms is what's shown in the buffer setting or you actually measured it?

I have no experience with those Apple cpus, but with my 13th gen I7 no way I could run two instances of NAM plus a convolution reverb at less than 1ms, as the NAM player does.
I can barely run a single NAM at 64 samples (which is already 5 or 6 ms RTL via usb), anything lower than that starts to crackle.
Maybe I could get closer with a thunderbolt or PCIe interface but I doubt I could get under 1ms.

Last edited:
So how comes that some recent ARM powered Windows boxes are at least getting pretty close?
Good question 👍

The Snapdragon Elite X from Qualcom uses TSMC's 4 nm node which was exclusive to Apple for quite some time (for the M2/3 and A16(?) processors). Now that Apple is gobbling up all the 3 nm capacities other companies get access to the "older" tech.

Good question 👍

The Snapdragon Elite X from Qualcom uses TSMC's 4 nm node which was exclusive to Apple for quite some time (for the M2/3 and A16(?) processors). Now that Apple is gobbling up all the 3 nm capacities other companies get access to the "older" tech.
For comparison, typical NXP ARM SOCs (used by UAFX for example) are based on 28 nm or even 40 nm nodes which desktop CPUs used around 2010.

Amy Sedaris Judging You GIF

3.5ms is what's shown in the buffer setting or you actually measured it?

Measured. Of course.

but with my 13th gen I7 no way I could run two instances of NAM plus a convolution reverb at less than 1ms, as the NAM player does.

But we weren't talking about the NAM player (which is a most excellent thing from technical POV).
FAS devices and most other modelers are in the ballpark of 2-3ms. You can easily get that low with some interfaces, at 96kHz you could even get below 2ms pretty easily (of course that'll cause a big CPU hit).

Heard over at TOP:

"Rumor is that Fractal seems to explore the same one amp in a pedal concept as well." (as UA)

So I guess it is the much anticipated Blues Jr in a box, finally!
I hope it's not something like that personally. Not that it wouldn't be good, it's just a harder sell because it needs to be priced high enough for a good profit, but that would mean a very trimmed down offering. It's in that middle land of "well if I payed a little more I could get all of this over here..." And conversely, "if I pay a little less, I can get all of this over here..."

I hope it's not something like that personally. Not that it wouldn't be good, it's just a harder sell because it needs to be priced high enough for a good profit, but that would mean a very trimmed down offering. It's in that middle land of "well if I payed a little more I could get all of this over here..." And conversely, "if I pay a little less, I can get all of this over here..."
Nah, I don't think Cliff would go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back