Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

giphy.gif

I don't come to this forum (or any forum, for that matter) often enough to understand all the jokes regarding Doug, someone cares to explain ? :)
Great update, now I have updating work to do !

I don't come to this forum (or any forum, for that matter) often enough to understand all the jokes regarding Doug, someone cares to explain ? :)
Great update, now I have updating work to do !
He went full on fanboy for the Tonemaster Pro, made numerous ridiculous claims about it's supposed superiority to Fractal stuff which were thoroughly debunked, then doubled down on the claims after the debunking. He also said 97% of people on his YouTube video agreed with him. He also posts basically worthless videos where he shows a screen grab of release notes and goes over them, while offering no useful tips or tricks.

He went full on fanboy for the Tonemaster Pro, made numerous ridiculous claims about it's supposed superiority to Fractal stuff which were thoroughly debunked, then doubled down on the claims after the debunking. He also said 97% of people on his YouTube video agreed with him. He also posts basically worthless videos where he shows a screen grab of release notes and goes over them, while offering no useful tips or tricks.
As much as I hate to watch this guy's videos (which is why I don't) what were these ridiculous claims he made? I need some good entertainment right now and laughing at his ridiculousness seems like just the ticket.

I don't know, Cliff said it should be possible on the other products and he probably knows how gapless is done and how all their products work. I'm optimistic that it's coming the FM3 as well.

I dont have a horse in this race ...... but given Fractals track record, I'd be amazed if it *didn't* also come to the FM3 ...... I'm guessing (?) the potential stumbling block is minimizing the CPU "hit" on the lower powered FM3 processing power.

As much as I hate to watch this guy's videos (which is why I don't) what were these ridiculous claims he made? I need some good entertainment right now and laughing at his ridiculousness seems like just the ticket.

I generally found his videos to be entertaining. Not a lot of deep diving like Leon or Cooper's videos, but he did a good job of running through the basics. Then the TMP hit the streets, and overnight he went from "Look at how easy it is to do stuff on the Fractal" to "The Fractal is way too hard to figure out, the TMP is so much better."

I dont have a horse in this race ...... but given Fractals track record, I'd be amazed if it *didn't* also come to the FM3 ...... I'm guessing (?) the potential stumbling block is minimizing the CPU "hit" on the lower powered FM3 processing power.

BUT... The CPU hit would be offset by using multiple presets instead of having unused blocks in certain scenes that suck up processor power.

If the FM9 gapless truly only requires about 1,5%, then I can't see it being an issue on FM3. Even if it ends up using 5%, I think that's a worthy compromise, especially on a turbo.

The MarkV is a very cool model , it’s like the Mesa MK for dummies, one gain pot
Pres shift and fat engaged
It’s like the they said hey the amp sounds best with these on but we will save you the hassle

Every time they do a Mesa Mark model, Cliff gets better at it. The Mark V Extreme and IV modes are absolutely awesome sounding. I've been messing with them all night and they sound incredible.

He's since removed the videos in question, and did a lot of forum cleaning, but the gist of it was he did some "tests" of his own, intending to show the TMP had better aliasing than the Fractal, completely misunderstood his own results which actually showed the exact opposite, then when more knowledgeable people told him he was wrong he doubled down. It was two or three days of pure hilarity/stupidity.

Every time they do a Mesa Mark model, Cliff gets better at it. The Mark V Extreme and IV modes are absolutely awesome sounding. I've been messing with them all night and they sound incredible.
For me the Mark V models ended up being mostly "eh, I was getting the same sounds out of the Mark IIC and IV models already". Of course you can argue that I just dial them the same, but I can't help it. Sure, the Extreme is a bit different but nothing I can't ballpark with other models.

I just can't get excited about new amp models. All the tones you would want are already there if you are willing to just apply yourself to making good use of the models available, and the million tone shaping tools on top of that.

I've not tried the Mark's very much tbh. Not an amp I am very familiar with in the real world either.

All the tones you would want are already there if you are willing to just apply yourself to making good use of the models available, and the million tone shaping tools on top of that.

I've been saying that for some time. The good thing for us is that it's been getting easier and easier to get to them as the firmware advances.

Back