For a LP, Gibson Classic 57's or Burstbuckers or ???

Byrdman

Roadie
So I have 3 Epiphones and 2 have Gibson Pickups and 1 doesn't. I put Classic 57's in my ES-335, my Epi 59 LP came with Burstbuckers 1&2, and I have a Silverburst Epi LP that has Epi pickups in it that I want to change. The guitars with Gibson pickups sound great to me, the Epi pickups in the Silverburst are garbage compared to the Gibson's. I have already put push/pull pots to split the coils in the HB's, but it is still uninspiring compared to the other 2.

So what I am thinking of doing is put Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and a Classic 57+ in the bridge of the Silverburst. Anyone have Classic 57's in a LP or dual HB guitar? How do you like it or do you prefer anything else like SlashBuckers, SD Super distortion, etc? This one is going to be used for the higher gain/Drop D/Alt Tuning songs we play including Velvet Revolver, STP, Foo Fighters, etc.

BTW, we mostly play late 60's-70's rock, 80's & 90's rock and alternative/Grunge, play through Marshall heads, DLS100H & SC20H, and use a Stomp XL for effects and amp modeling.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

How about a set of Gibson 490R/498T like those that come stock in a Les Paul Custom??

It'll give you a very different flavour than the BBs or the 57s. I think they'd be perfect for
some added juice to do the heavier lifting. :idk

They tend to be very easy to find on the used market, so that's a bonus, too. :beer

How about a set of Gibson 490R/498T like those that come stock in a Les Paul Custom??

It'll give you a very different flavour than the BBs or the 57s. I think they'd be perfect for
some added juice to do the heavier lifting. :idk

They tend to be very easy to find on the used market, so that's a bonus, too. :beer
I'll start looking! I have seen them around a lot over the years so I thought they were shit. Worst case they dont work, I sell them and get something else.

Thanks for the suggestions!!:beer

Oh, they are far from shit. I just think Pickups are an easy and painless swap,
which is why this one act is probably done far more than any other modification
when it comes to guitars and guitarists. :idk

The Alnico II Mags in the '57s tend to be softer, saggier, and not as immediate as ceramic or
A5.

The Slash SD Sig pickups are close to the '57s--as they use Alnico II Mags and have a
similar output and EQ curve. So maybe give them a shot if you have them on hand.
Can't hurt. Sometimes the PAF thing with an OD pedal can get you as heavy as you
need to be.

The Alnico II Mags in the '57s tend to be softer, saggier, and not as immediate as ceramic or
A5.

The Slash SD Sig pickups are close to the '57s--as they use Alnico II Mags and have a
similar output and EQ curve. So maybe give them a shot if you have them on hand.
Can't hurt. Sometimes the PAF thing with an OD pedal can get you as heavy as you
need to be.
I found a new 498T on Reverb that the guy just pulled out of a new Gibson LP for $80 shipped, so I went ahead and bought it. Should be here next week.

Made an offer on a 490R but was not accepted but no worries, the cheaper ones on reverb look pretty beat up so I'll take my time.

Since I am the rhythm guitarist, I play on bridge 90% of the time anyway and can wait for a decent deal on a neck PU.

I found a new 498T on Reverb that the guy just pulled out of a new Gibson LP for $80 shipped, so I went ahead and bought it. Should be here next week.

Made an offer on a 490R but was not accepted but no worries, the cheaper ones on reverb look pretty beat up so I'll take my time.

Since I am the rhythm guitarist, I play on bridge 90% of the time anyway and can wait for a decent deal on a neck PU.
I think the Duncan 59 pairs really well with the 498T btw. Food for thought

I absolutely hate 57 classic + in the bridge of an LP. When I had an LP with one in there I replaced it with the SD Pearly Gates and it was a monumental improvement

I also dislike the burstbucker pro bridge. Not sure about the other BB versions but my current LP came with a pro. Replaced it with an SD Pegasus and it’s just awesome for high gain stuff. That one’s a departure from classic LP style pickup though

I’d get a 498T if you were wanting to keep it Gibson EDIT: derp looks like that’s what you went with lol. Good call!

I absolutely hate 57 classic + in the bridge of an LP. When I had an LP with one in there I replaced it with the SD Pearly Gates and it was a monumental improvement

I also dislike the burstbucker pro bridge. Not sure about the other BB versions but my current LP came with a pro. Replaced it with an SD Pegasus and it’s just awesome for high gain stuff. That one’s a departure from classic LP style pickup though

I’d get a 498T if you were wanting to keep it Gibson EDIT: derp looks like that’s what you went with lol. Good call!

I'm not a fan of the classic 57 or BB pro either. The standard BB 1+2 are a pretty decent set of pickups though. I also really like the BB 1+2 with the magnets swopped for AlNiCo IV.

I'm not a fan of the classic 57 or BB pro either. The standard BB 1+2 are a pretty decent set of pickups though. I also really like the BB 1+2 with the magnets swopped for AlNiCo IV.
My Clasic 57's in my 335 sound awesome! I did change the wiring to 50's from Toneman. Just enough Growl without being overbearing if that makes sense. The BB 1 & 2 my Epi 59 came with sounded better than decent, but when I put in a 50's wiring kit from Toneman, they really came alive IMO.

Yeah, I got a 498T heading my way for the bridge, any other suggestions for the neck? I can wait for the right deal to come along too, since I play mostly on the bridge anyway or blend it with the neck dialed down to around 7.5-8 on volume. Hell the Epi Neck PU that is in there now may work with it too. They are the ones that originally came with my Epi 335 CS that has push/pull pots.

Definitely open for any and all suggestions!

Anyone have experience with a Dimarzio PAF Pro for the neck? Found one for a decent deal $50 shipped
Has them in two guitars in the neck position. “Had” is the key word. I’d skip that one.

The best stock neck pickup I’ve heard was in my friends Epiphone Florentine. It’s a ProBucker-2.

Are the Classic 57's what they are calling a 59th Anniversary Set these days?
I really dont know. I got mine from a buddy.

He has a matching white Gibson LP & SG and pulled both sets out and had his luthier install some SD's he loves when he did the initial setup. I was at his house one day and asked if I could buy a set and he said "no, just grab what you want" LOL...

My Clasic 57's in my 335 sound awesome! I did change the wiring to 50's from Toneman. Just enough Growl without being overbearing if that makes sense. The BB 1 & 2 my Epi 59 came with sounded better than decent, but when I put in a 50's wiring kit from Toneman, they really came alive IMO.

Yeah, I got a 498T heading my way for the bridge, any other suggestions for the neck? I can wait for the right deal to come along too, since I play mostly on the bridge anyway or blend it with the neck dialed down to around 7.5-8 on volume. Hell the Epi Neck PU that is in there now may work with it too. They are the ones that originally came with my Epi 335 CS that has push/pull pots.

Definitely open for any and all suggestions!

Personally speaking, I'd take (no disrespect!) SOTS's comments about Gibby pickups with a grain of salt.
He's a notorious Gibby PU hater, and wears that merit badge proudly! :beer

I really dont know. I got mine from a buddy.

He has a matching white Gibson LP & SG and pulled both sets out and had his luthier install some SD's he loves when he did the initial setup. I was at his house one day and asked if I could buy a set and he said "no, just grab what you want" LOL...

Cool dude! :beer

Back