NGD - Suhr Standard Plus in Bengal Burst

Congratulations! That's a beauty. The thing that really appeals to me about this model vs the Modern is the lower out cutaway. This to me is the way it should be, just unfettered upper fret access. Does this one have the hum cancelling system for the single coils? Best of luck with the tuning stability.
Yep, this has got the silent system like my Classic S had. It's fantastic, zero noise whatsoever and the pickups sound like they should.
John's design for using a "dummy" coil to eliminate hum is really clever.

New guitar day! Time for the customary wall of text! :rawk

I've had a Classic S for about three years and really liked that guitar a lot, but I'm ready for a change. I can't really justify having two bougie high-end guitars at once, so I traded my Classic S for this new Standard Plus. Basswood body with maple top, roasted maple neck and a pau ferro fretboard (nice and dark). I wanted to try a Standard for the smaller / lighter body and the simplified control layout. Also I've always loved Suhr's Bengal Burst finish. :love

I lived with the strat-style volume knob on my Classic S for a few years but I always wished it wasn't there. It was fine most of the time, but palm muting the B and High E strings forced me to lift my hand over the knob and that motion was actually starting to strain my wrist and hand in a weird way. I didn't want to mess with Suhr's fancy wiring by trying to remove a tone pot and move everything, so this was an easy solution. It's so nice to play this guitar and not even think about the ergonomics - it just works. This guitar feels about a pound and a half lighter than the old one, so that's a nice bonus.

The pickups are two V60 single coils and an SSH+ humbucker. The SSH+ is hotter than I'm used to but it sounds good. I guess it's kind of like Suhr's version of the JB? I dig it. The V60s are super bright compared to the V60LPs in the old guitar. When playing my normal Plexi sounds I find that rolling the tone knob back to 7-ish brings it closer to the sound of the LPs. They certainly sound great, just different.

Tuning stability is a bit lame, but who knows how old these strings are. I doubt they're factory strings because whoever put them on used almost a full wind on each tuning post for some reason? With locking tuners?? :wat Hopefully new strings and some nut lube will fix that.

View attachment 27162View attachment 27163

Oh man that thing is beautiful! Suhr Standard Plus is a bucket list guitar for me. I love HSS and hate the Strat volume knob position.

I couldn't afford one so I got an Ibanez AZ MIJ model for $1800 and swapped the pickups out for Suhrs. I have a Thornbucker Plus and a pair of ML's right now. Sounds great.

The thing that really appeals to me about this model vs the Modern is the lower bout cutaway. This to me is the way it should be, just unfettered upper fret access.

I totally agree. The Modern (of which I have two) doesn't actually have good upper fret access compared to my Suhr Standard and Tom Anderson Angel guitars. It seems to me that Suhr prioritized form over function on the Modern body shape.

Wow !! Congrats Hemm and HNGD

surprised oh my GIF

That headstock is insane, trying to wrap my brains around how it's cut, to cause that grain.... just so cool.... I may even like it more than the body. 😉
Well, it looks like it's from the center of the tree, possibly cut on an angle relative to vertical. But because the small rings are so tight, cutting it on an angle would make them further apart. Maybe the tree was curved at that section.

Back