PRS pickups

I've got a JB/Jazz in one of my CU24's and a Custom 5/McCarty Neck in another. I think C5/Jazz would be my ultimate combo for a C24.

Love the DGT pickups as well as the 245 pickups in my SC.
I swapped the JB for a CustomCustom and it is great with the Jazz neck but sometimes a JB is just the ticket, especially great for heavier tones. I have heard the DGT pickups are really good although I have not tried them yet. I need a DGT 😀

Had the HFS/VB in my PRS. Replaced them with 57/08’s and recently a JB/‘59. The JB straight up rips. Perfect match for this particular guitar IMO. Still undecided on the ‘59 though. It’s a little too bassy like the 57/08 was.
I also like JB/59, have them already in another guitar. Do they have a wire for cool split, and in the affirmative so they sound good split? I need the split tones../

I swapped the JB for a CustomCustom and it is great with the Jazz neck but sometimes a JB is just the ticket, especially great for heavier tones. I have heard the DGT pickups are really good although I have not tried them yet. I need a DGT 😀
I have had the CustomCustom/Jazz in a Godin Lgxt. I like the CC, but for hard rock I also prefer the JB. The jazz sounds wonderful clean, but for crunch it’s not my thing.

I’m honestly not familiar how they sound split. The ones I have installed are 4-wire, but I don’t have them wired for split.
Same here. I have a '59 in the bridge of a partscaster and it has a nice mid oomph without being too congested. I like it. Have not tried it split yet. Parallel wiring might be a good option also, which I tend to like better with others.

I've got a JB/Jazz in one of my CU24's and a Custom 5/McCarty Neck in another. I think C5/Jazz would be my ultimate combo for a C24.

Love the DGT pickups as well as the 245 pickups in my SC.
I was going to mention Custom 5's but I haven't compared them to enough pickups in any meaningful way to draw much conclusions.

HOWEVER

putting a Custom 5 in my Custom 22 made it sound very "Les Paul" to my ears, I think the scoop of the pickup balances out the PRS midrange a bit. Its a cool sound, but I ended up going back to the Custom and also JB (they just feel like home to me in a PRS).

Thread delivers!! PRS Pickup Thread and we all end up talking about pickups alright. Just not PRS Pickups. :LOL:
You are right, but in hindsight I must say the title I really had in mind was “Pickups for PRS”, and eventually I did get what I was looking for.

By the way, I just ordered a pair of 57/08’s, we’ll see how they sound in my guitar. Other intruguing options: Thornbuckers, JB/JAZZ, …

I've got Thornbuckers in my PRS CE-24, specifically the TB neck and TB+ 53mm in the bridge. They sound really good there, very versatile. The only thing against them is they can be a bit polite sounding. I have a set of SSV pickups in my other PRS (S2 Standard 24) which sound really good as well. I'd be curious to try an SSH or SSH+ in the bridge if it were more for heavier music as well.

I have a mostly hate relationship with the 85/15's in my CU24. Loved them until I branched out and found what works best for me.

Debating the ToneNerd guy's offerings, seem to be well loved and the price is right.

I've got Thornbuckers in my PRS CE-24, specifically the TB neck and TB+ 53mm in the bridge. They sound really good there, very versatile. The only thing against them is they can be a bit polite sounding. I have a set of SSV pickups in my other PRS (S2 Standard 24) which sound really good as well. I'd be curious to try an SSH or SSH+ in the bridge if it were more for heavier music as well.
You actually don’t need 53mm in the bridge for anything except vintage fender spacing but it’s not detrimental.

You actually don’t need 53mm in the bridge for anything except vintage fender spacing but it’s not detrimental.

Yeah mostly cosmetic I also wanted to see if the extra windings added a little output. I’ve got 50mm on the other PRS.

My S2 Custom 24 currently has a Custom bridge and 59 neck combo. Works great. My
SEs still have their stock pickups. Which funnily enough work great :idk The newer Santana S pickups are solid. They sound thick but have a great articulation. Aren’t too tubby on the bottom end either. My Starla has its DS02s in it. I have an eye open for a set of Core Starla pickups for it but honestly it sounds great. It does that Gretschy kinda thing and I love it for that. Really versatile guitar and fun to play.

My S2 Custom 24 currently has a Custom bridge and 59 neck combo. Works great. My
SEs still have their stock pickups. Which funnily enough work great :idk The newer Santana S pickups are solid. They sound thick but have a great articulation. Aren’t too tubby on the bottom end either. My Starla has its DS02s in it. I have an eye open for a set of Core Starla pickups for it but honestly it sounds great. It does that Gretschy kinda thing and I love it for that. Really versatile guitar and fun to play.

The stock SE pickups really are quite good especially for the money. I swapped out the pickups in my SE 245 for Dimarzio 36ths and they sound basically the same. I also swapped out the pickups in my S2 Standard for Suhr SSV's and again they are really close. Like 90-95% of the sound.

Really the biggest reason to swap them out is for something quite different. Instead of 8-9k 42ga humbuckers, going for like a JB/Jazz or something like that.

Back