PRS pickups

Played some more at home tonight, and just checking back in to confirm that these BK Black Dogs are REALLY GREAT in this 594, super happy with them and very glad I went ahead with this swap. :love

For some reason I was more reluctant to change out pickups in a new PRS, but it was well worth it, and again, super glad I did it.

If you’re on the fence in a similar way, I say go for it.
Definitely added these to the long list of potentials for my 594. What I have isn't bad, at all, and way better than stock - but idk, just not there.

I love the “s” neck version of the 594 pup in my s2 but have been toying with the idea of taking the core 85 from my CE, putting that in the bridge of the s2 and experimenting in the bridge of my CE. Like Mayve am SD alpha/omega in there or finally trying something BKP

"I'll take $4,000 guitars that need an immediate pickup grade for $1,000, Alex."

Alex Trebek Yes GIF by Jeopardy!

My biggest issue with the 58/15 LT pickups in my 594 were output volume. When I would change guitars at a gig, I lost too much volume with the 594. I bought a set of 57/08s for it. I got a set that is hotter than the spec they have now. There was a period of time where they were coming out hotter for some reason. They work really well in the 594 and deliver everything I had hoped for.

Fast forward to the fall of last year. I bought a new PRS Studio. It has the 58/15 LT pickup in the bridge. PRS had a sale on a bunch of things and pickups were one of those things. I ordered a 57/08 pickup fully expecting that I was going to swap it out because I didn't really like that same pickup in my 594. As luck would have it, I received a pickup that was a little out of spec on the low side. I contacted them and they had me send it back for a replacement. In the time it took to send it back and receive a replacement I kept adjusting the pickup in the guitar. By the time I received the replacement pickup I had the stock pickup adjusted to a point where it was performing very well. In fact, I can switch guitars and not notice a volume difference. I left the stock pickup in it and put the 57/08 on the shelf. I don't know why this pickup works so much better in this guitar but it really makes me wonder if I put the stock pickups back in the 594 if I could get them adjusted to where I like them and don't have the volume issue. I measured the pickup in the Studio and it is right in the range of what I took out of the 594. I like the 57/08s in the 594 so much that I decided to not mess with it.

All of this to day that the same pickup could perform much different in a different guitar. I really like the 58/15 LT in the Studio and didn't really care that much for them in the 594. I haven't put the 57/08 in the Studio so I can't really say if I would like it better or not. It is easier to just leave it stock since I have it to a point where I like it.

Back