PRS pickups

The stock SE pickups really are quite good especially for the money. I swapped out the pickups in my SE 245 for Dimarzio 36ths and they sound basically the same. I also swapped out the pickups in my S2 Standard for Suhr SSV's and again they are really close. Like 90-95% of the sound.

Really the biggest reason to swap them out is for something quite different. Instead of 8-9k 42ga humbuckers, going for like a JB/Jazz or something like that.

Yeah that’s how I feel about them too. The HFS/VB S pickups weren’t necessarily bad but I thought I could do better and literally had this set of Duncans just lying around unused. I also went whole hog on the S2 and replaced the bridge with a MannMade 2040. I liked the original trem but the Mann unit feels much more substantial and a little more stiff than moulded PRS trem they use on the SEs and S2s. Now that could be the trem, that could be the springs or it could be that I changed the gauge from 9 - 46 in E standard to 10 - 46 but in E flat. It wasn’t a very scientific comparison. That’s not to say I dislike the SE trem. I like it a lot. It’s still on my Santana and works great. Even better once I replaced the standard tuners with locking tuners. But for this S2 I wanted to have some fun with it beyond “what you see is what you get.”

I've actually liked every PRS pickup I've tried with the exception of the 57/08 set. I currently own guitars with McCarty pickups from 2004, Mira pickups, #7 pickups, and 53/10 pickups.

I guess I just have bad taste.

I’ve kicked the tires on replacing my old McCarty pickups for years. They’re a touch on the dark and smooth side compared to something like the 57/08 to my ears. They have a nice body to them though, and plenty of snap and bite when needed if I dial the amp in for it.

My other guitars are brighter, but the McCarty has always been home.

Anyway… I’m always curious about 57/08s and similar pups from other makers and if a change is a good idea. On the flip side I kind of like just letting this guitar be what it is. I always watch for what others find swapping pickups on a prs. I’m concerned I’ll find something like @Jarick where I spend a chunk of cash plus the time for the pickup swap to find that it wasn’t really that significant of a change.

Had the opposite experience with my Gretsch, putting TV Classics in that guitar was a huge improvement. That makes me wonder if I could make the McCarty better with a change.

D

I eventually received the 57/08 pickups and got my luthier to replace the HFS/VB. Yesterday I rehearsed with the band -- these pickups are awesome!

The output level is not so weak -- not a bad thing. The humbucker tones are great. PAF-style, but voiced slightly more modern. They are not as "pearcing" as the Classic 57 can sometimes be, but they are a bit sweeter in the mids and highs. They don't cut through a mix in the same way, but that can be adjusted by dialing the eq on the amp. They handle gain very well, at least for hard rock stuff. I like that notes on the low E and A strings stay tight, more so than a Les Paul (which I guess one would expect from a CU24).

The split tones are good. I preferred the split tones of the HFS/VB (they really make a sensible impersonation of a Strat). The 57/08 are less chimey and more glassy, so to speak. But they do get the job done.

Overall, I am very happy so far. My bandmates too.

I have a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs arriving today that I'm going to put in my 594. :banana

I've really enjoyed the 58/15LTs that are in it, great pickups, however they seem a bit scooped in this guitar and the low end is super flabby/woofy.

I have Black Dogs in my R9 already and love them (bought it used and they were already in it). They're hard to find in stock in Canada and I randomly found this new set on Reverb, shipping from within the country. I don't usually put the same pickups in different guitars, so this will be an interesting experiment.

I'm certainly not expecting the DC594 to sound exactly like my Les Paul, but if I can get more mids + output, along with better defined lows and just a more full-on rawk vibe, I'll be happy. The Black Dogs have a big mid-bump, almost cocked-wah level, and I'm hooked on that honk. Also has nice high mids that just cut so nicely in a band mix and great definition in the lows.

Part of me wants to just leave the 58/15LT in the neck, as I really like it, especially the split tone, and I have no idea what the BKs will be like when split. But knowing myself, I will likely put both BKs in anyway. Also, this set wasn't cheap and I don't want a neck pickup just sitting around unused.

I'm going to have it switched to 50s wiring, as well. That's a big part of how I use my LP and I've been really missing it on the 594. (Seems weird that PRS left that off of these, it's a pretty significant aspect of the sounds they're aimed at?)

I have a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs arriving today that I'm going to put in my 594. :banana

I've really enjoyed the 58/15LTs that are in it, great pickups, however they seem a bit scooped in this guitar and the low end is super flabby/woofy.

I have Black Dogs in my R9 already and love them (bought it used and they were already in it). They're hard to find in stock in Canada and I randomly found this new set on Reverb, shipping from within the country. I don't usually put the same pickups in different guitars, so this will be an interesting experiment.

I'm certainly not expecting the DC594 to sound exactly like my Les Paul, but if I can get more mids + output, along with better defined lows and just a more full-on rawk vibe, I'll be happy. The Black Dogs have a big mid-bump, almost cocked-wah level, and I'm hooked on that honk. Also has nice high mids that just cut so nicely in a band mix and great definition in the lows.

Part of me wants to just leave the 58/15LT in the neck, as I really like it, especially the split tone, and I have no idea what the BKs will be like when split. But knowing myself, I will likely put both BKs in anyway. Also, this set wasn't cheap and I don't want a neck pickup just sitting around unused.

I'm going to have it switched to 50s wiring, as well. That's a big part of how I use my LP and I've been really missing it on the 594. (Seems weird that PRS left that off of these, it's a pretty significant aspect of the sounds they're aimed at?)
Let me know what you think of them. I have a 594 with all rosewood neck, and it needs HELP. Was going to try a ToneNerd pu, but last I heard he was in the middle of moving to Japan and could be reallllly delayed.

Also, sorry for the necro-reply I was scrolling at work and didn’t notice the date. I was interested because I’m changing Zexcoils out of my S2 Singlecut for Fralin humbucker size him cancelling P90’s and putting the Zexcoils in my 594 because I like the neck split better than the 85/15LT’s. I may miss the bridge pickup slightly though, that 85/15 sounded really good to me

Last edited:
Let me know what you think of them. I have a 594 with all rosewood neck, and it needs HELP. Was going to try a ToneNerd pu, but last I heard he was in the middle of moving to Japan and could be reallllly delayed.

Will do! Here's the BD description from BK's site:

The Black Dog is an aggressive, throaty humbucker with deep bottom-end, muscular mids, smooth highs and more output than a vintage PAF.

The Black Dog humbucker is designed for players that need a vintage-voiced pickup with extra weight in the mid-range. Because we hand-wind with a modern polysol wire, the Black Dog is able to match the asymmetrical coils of The Mule while gaining additional output and grind. A stronger, richer mid and extended bass response lends itself to hot blues and hard rock tones without compromising clarity. Single note playing has plenty of weight behind each note with a solid high-end that sings when used with added preamp gain. Clean tones have depth and a full bodied ring to each string with excellent note separation in chords.

The Black Dog humbuckers are also particularly good at providing extra definition and punch to extended scale guitars. Seven string and baritone guitars benefit from better control of the highs and increased definition in the bass.

Blues, Garage, Punk, Grunge, Alternative, Classic Rock, Heavy Rock and Metal

Equally at home on any solid-body guitar and especially well suited to extended range guitars or any guitar lacking in mid range body.

SPECIFICATION
Position: Bridge DC Resistance: 9.4 kΩ Magnet: Alnico 5
Position: Neck DC Resistance: 7.7 kΩ Magnet: Alnico 5

I wasn't the biggest fan of the stock pickups in my 594. Mine is a 2016. I was not happy with how much my volume dropped when I switched guitars at gigs. I bought a set of 57/08 pickups from the PRS accessory store. Those made a big difference in the guitar for me. They are still in the guitar and will not come out unless I decide to sell it, which isn't likely. It is one of my more played guitars.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the stock pickups in my 594. Mine is a 2016. I was not happy with how much my volume dropped when I switched guitars at gigs. I bought a set of 57/08 pickups from the PRS accessory store. Those made a big difference in the guitar for me. They are still in the guitar and will not come out unless I decide to sell it, which isn't likely. It is one of my more played guitars.
Mine came with plain 58/15 - not LT nor MT nor +. They were "ok to meh".

Put Fishman Adlers in and it was a huge improvement, but still doesn't wow me. Of course there's a chance the guitar is a dud but it's really great acoustically, so should just come down to a better pu.

I'd say it's a bit on the bright side, lacks mids and low end.

Put Fishman Adlers in and it was a huge improvement, but still doesn't wow me. Of course there's a chance the guitar is a dud but it's really great acoustically, so should just come down to a better pu.

I dropped my 594 off at the shop today to have the BKs installed + 50s wiring added. I'm not handy enough to do it myself and am certainly not going to try and learn on a PRS Core… :rofl

Unfortunately, they said they're very busy and it will take a few weeks.

I agree that if it rings nicely acoustically it is down to finding the right set of pickups to bring that out in a way you like it. I can't say enough good things about the PRS 57/08 pickups. I have them in a number of my guitars and they sound great in all of them. This of course depends on the types of tones you play and what you are looking for from the guitar.

I agree that if it rings nicely acoustically it is down to finding the right set of pickups to bring that out in a way you like it. I can't say enough good things about the PRS 57/08 pickups. I have them in a number of my guitars and they sound great in all of them. This of course depends on the types of tones you play and what you are looking for from the guitar.
Thank you, I appreciate it greatly! And, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about 57/08's ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - so they are for sure an option to consider.

I lean towards heavy stuff, but lately have been playing the Holy Diver solo and QR Operation Mindcrime licks, pretty standard 80's rock/hard rock. Sometimes I dabble in Rush, but I have to get a lot better, lmao. So - kinda all over the place :rofl. It doesn't need to have the most brutal pu's ever, but I'm sort of afraid of PAF clones in it, since the original were of that flavor, and disappointed.

Thank you, I appreciate it greatly! And, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about 57/08's ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - so they are for sure an option to consider.

I lean towards heavy stuff, but lately have been playing the Holy Diver solo and QR Operation Mindcrime licks, pretty standard 80's rock/hard rock. Sometimes I dabble in Rush, but I have to get a lot better, lmao. So - kinda all over the place :rofl. It doesn't need to have the most brutal pu's ever, but I'm sort of afraid of PAF clones in it, since the original were of that flavor, and disappointed.
You may like the 59/09 or \m/ (metal) pickups better. They are hotter than the 57/08s. Even though the PRS metal pickups are named that, they are actually much more versatile than the name would have you believe.

The 57/08 is an Alnico II PAF type pickup. They have great clarity in them. I can get all the gain I need, and then some, from my amps and pedals to I tend to like pickups that have good tone and clarity on a clean channel and then tailor them from there with gain.

I dropped my 594 off at the shop today to have the BKs installed + 50s wiring added. I'm not handy enough to do it myself and am certainly not going to try and learn on a PRS Core… :rofl

Unfortunately, they said they're very busy and it will take a few weeks.

Okay, I got my 594 back with the new BK Black Dogs installed! Was perfect timing, as I was able to pick it up right before band practice.:rawk

I can definitely say they are a huge improvement over the stock PRS ones, for me. Much more of a hard rock sound, lots of mids and upper mid kerrang, along with way tighter bass, more output, and more clarity in general. VERY happy with the switch.

I didn't have time to make any adjustments, as I'm usually fussy about overall pickup and individual pole piece height, but they sounded great and won't need too much tweaking. I'll probably lower the bridge a bit and raise/lower some of the pole pieces, but not a big amount.

Also, another huge improvement is the split coil sounds. More highs, detail and harmonics, a far bigger improvement than I was expecting. Makes the PRS split tones sound dull in comparison.

And lastly, very happy with the switch to 50s wiring, works much better for how I get tones, rolling off for semi-cleans, etc. Seems a like a weird detail for Paul to have left out of these otherwise stellar Gibson-esque beauties.

Played some more at home tonight, and just checking back in to confirm that these BK Black Dogs are REALLY GREAT in this 594, super happy with them and very glad I went ahead with this swap. :love

For some reason I was more reluctant to change out pickups in a new PRS, but it was well worth it, and again, super glad I did it.

If you’re on the fence in a similar way, I say go for it.

Back