PRS pickups

vino_buono

Roadie
I have a PRS CU24 with HFS/VB pickups. In general it’s a great guitar, but I have gotten a bit bored with the pickups. I like them in split coil mode, but I find the bridge humbucker sound is too modern; there’s too much low mids and not enough of those syrupy mids that an LP has. I am thinking of installing different pickups. Essentially I am looking for more of a classic rock humbucker sound, but I also need them to sound good split. Style is classic rock and hard rock, not very high gain (say, up to Bon Jovi type of gain).

57/08? 59/09? Other? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old PRS pickups are not great. I would try a paf style it will certainly do what you want. I put Thobak 101s in mine. Massive improvement.

I have 57/08s… What would you recommend Andy for a bit more string separation/clarity?

I had the 57/08’s and they are about as classic PAF as you can get from PRS.

I’d say at a minimum, go with the 59/09’s. For the money, you’re better off with some Seymour Duncans or if you want to splurge, one of the boutique brands.

I have 57/08s… What would you recommend Andy for a bit more string separation/clarity?
I actually think they’re some of the best PRS pickups. Out of the readily available paf stuff I like Duncan antiquity and Seth’s . Lollar imperials are pretty good too but if you have 57 08s this may not be for you. Bare knuckles makes some great stuff for the tone you’re looking for and you could always give Tim a ring for recommendations. I am surprised 57 08s don’t work for these tones for you though so I am hesitant .

I actually think they’re some of the best PRS pickups. Out of the readily available paf stuff I like Duncan antiquity and Seth’s . Lollar imperials are pretty good too but if you have 57 08s this may not be for you. Bare knuckles makes some great stuff for the tone you’re looking for and you could always give Tim a ring for recommendations. I am surprised 57 08s don’t work for these tones for you though so I am hesitant .

I really like the 57-08s in my McCarty 594.

Edit because I’m an idiot. The McCarty has 58-15LTs in it. Whatever the fucking things are, I like them.

Last edited:
I’m probably just being a super picky… or imagining things.

The tones from those 57/08s are fine… It’s just sometimes I want a little more string separation but maybe that’s asking too much. Or maybe I should try raising/lowering a couple of pole pieces.

I’m probably just being a super picky… or imagining things.

The tones from those 57/08s are fine… It’s just sometimes I want a little more string separation but maybe that’s asking too much. Or maybe I should try raising/lowering a couple of pole pieces.
That won’t really help. It just allows you to fine tune output but with the magnet at the base flat is almost always best. Normally a paf style has good dynamics and note separation.

Let’s see, I currently have one with Seymour Duncan Jazz/CustomCustom, one with Thornbucker/Thornbucker+, and one with Dimarzio 36th/Transition set. They are all better to my ears than the stock pickups whether they are the HFS/VB or 85/15s. I also like the Dragon II’s and lots of folks like the 57/08s. You just have to try them and see,

Had the HFS/VB in my PRS. Replaced them with 57/08’s and recently a JB/‘59. The JB straight up rips. Perfect match for this particular guitar IMO. Still undecided on the ‘59 though. It’s a little too bassy like the 57/08 was.

Had the HFS/VB in my PRS. Replaced them with 57/08’s and recently a JB/‘59. The JB straight up rips. Perfect match for this particular guitar IMO. Still undecided on the ‘59 though. It’s a little too bassy like the 57/08 was.

Yep the good old 59/JB set rips!
Meh. I have that 59/JB set in two of mine, and I grew tired of the JB in that guitar. I have a CE24 with the original HFS, and I like that one better for that kind of tone.

Having said that, I am going for a more PAF vintage tone these days.

If you go coverless, can't go wrong with a Super Distortion. It's becoming my favorite all-rounder after years of never trying it. Neck would be a Dimarzio EJ or Humbucker from Hell. Leaner and meaner - PAF Pro neck or bridge.

Back