FM9's deep tweaking gets me the closest I've ever gotten to this "unique" JCM800 tone

The second mixer was just there so I could quickly check how it sounded in mono (mixer blocks have a mono/stereo toggle). I build almost all presets in stereo but try to make sure they sound good merged. The first mixer block was to quickly tweak balance as I was still poking around and I forgot to delete it :rofl

The enhancer block was to get the stereo field a bit closer to the original, and that second comp block is the “Dynamics Enhancer,” which gives it a good bit of extra thwack when you give the strings a hard strum. That’s to try to get closer to the attack of a loud-as-fook cab exciting a room.

The first comp block is just a classic DynaComp, which also helps add to the percussive attack while fattening up the sustain.

I should note this is dialed in for stereo monitors or headphones to be similar to the album tone, so no guarantees at all about how it sounds through a cab unless you mod it :)
Thank you sir! It sounds pretty damn tasty :guiness

Sounds like a Jaguar to me. :LOL:
I thought the same for a while, but I actually have a Jag and tried it for this same reason a while ago :LOL:

The intro guitar, when you listen to the stems, was recorded separately from the rest of the song. The sustained upper-string notes of the intro (which sound like overdubs) definitely sound like Jag to me.

However, once it gets to the first verse, that guitar I’m almost certain is a strat. I couldn’t get it sounding all that close with my Jaguar, and his tone there is very similar to other tracks where there are video clips of him recording them playing a strat.

I could be wrong though! Wouldn’t be the first time :roflMaybe I’ll have to get my Jaguar out and give it a try with the FM9.

This thread made me want to listen to some RHCP the other day. So in I went and about the 4th song in
Keidis and his schtick had me turning them off. Still a legend. But man.... hard for me to abide that dude's
vocal..... uhmmmmm..... stylings at times. :idk
Yep, I totally get it, but I don’t take him too seriously and mainly enjoy the instrumental.

John, Flea and Chad are amazing together when they get locked-in. One of my favorite parts of seeing them live was all the improvised jams with those three in between songs. Especially given their age, those guys still go hard. Flea is in his 60s and still does handstands on stage! :LOL:

Back