FM3 as audio interface?

I think it fair honestly there was nothing more that could be discussed they gave honest answer , we will get to it as soon as we have time but at the moment most users want all the new stuff

What could be gained by 2 pages of complaints if they have addressed that they are aware and will work on it
Definitely!

As long as they don't delete the thread, I think it has served its purpose

Another thread was opened on the Fractal forum regarding this issue - it has now been locked, not sure why it was all very courteous.

"We are of course aware of the USB latency reporting complaint. We understand and empathize that this issue and required workarounds have made things more difficult for some of you. However, the FM3 team has been dedicated to keeping up with Axe-Fx updates for as far back as I can remember. It requires a lot more work for the "little brother" to inherit features from the powerful Axe-Fx III, and addressing the USB fix is would need to take effort away from these other areas. The vast majority of customers would prefer that we continue to add new amp models, new effects, new sound features, and more -- and even clamor on a regular basis for these to be done already. And this isn't like "dusting crops": the FM3 is a serious professional product which needs to be programmed and maintained with the utmost care. We will keep you updated on any developments in this area and maintain our commitment to high quality products"

Yikes. What a frustrating and condescending response.

And sort of disappointing to know that this sort of latency and the latency reporting are even issues. I know the FM3 is a unit full of compromises (by its nature), but I'd expect more when a 3 paragraph section of the product's page is titled (in big bold letters) "Impressive USB Audio Capabilities". If they can't / won't improve it, or won't right now because they're focusing on other products, they should at least not push that aspect as pro-level for "studio work" or that the FM3 can "double as the hub of a portable recording studio". Any cheap prosumer audio interface with these sort of issues wouldn't even be a consideration.

I am going to be knowingly hypocritical af on this. But I don't think the FM should be used an interface anyway. Wayyyy too limited as is without adding audio interface duty on top of everything else, imo.

I am going to be knowingly hypocritical af on this. But I don't think the FM should be used an interface anyway. Wayyyy too limited as is without adding audio interface duty on top of everything else, imo.

Yeah, I've never used one, but from looking into it quite a bit as a potential customer, the FM3 seems good as a straightforward and limited modeler and should be used that way only when possible. Yet re: the USB audio aspect, they spend a lot of marketing space saying how good the audio interface is and how you don't need anything else, so I wish they'd just treat it as a bonus feature instead, especially since that seems to be how they're viewing it going by that forum response.

Another thread was opened on the Fractal forum regarding this issue - it has now been locked, not sure why it was all very courteous.

"We are of course aware of the USB latency reporting complaint. We understand and empathize that this issue and required workarounds have made things more difficult for some of you. However, the FM3 team has been dedicated to keeping up with Axe-Fx updates for as far back as I can remember. It requires a lot more work for the "little brother" to inherit features from the powerful Axe-Fx III, and addressing the USB fix is would need to take effort away from these other areas. The vast majority of customers would prefer that we continue to add new amp models, new effects, new sound features, and more -- and even clamor on a regular basis for these to be done already. And this isn't like "dusting crops": the FM3 is a serious professional product which needs to be programmed and maintained with the utmost care. We will keep you updated on any developments in this area and maintain our commitment to high quality products"
Sounds like they might be stretched thin for manpower on FM9/FM3 gapless switching, new reverbs etc updates on top of working on future products. It's a disappointing response but I definitely hope they at least try to fix it after they are done with the gapless switching etc.

Imagine having to keep up with Cliff :wat :rofl
Selena Gomez Cooking GIF by Max

It was probably locked because they don't have plans to fix it and would rather not draw attention to it. If they're going to lock threads that attempt to discuss it, then there probably won't be any way to change their mind about whether it's an important problem. It does seem weird to leave a problem like that unfixed on an otherwise high quality modeler.

Well, if ya’ll would stop with the Escobar-At-The-Bus Stop gifs, it might give Fractal the idea there’s more than amps and effects ya want!

Obviously, most of us love Fractal‘s products for all the obvious reasons, but advertising „Impressive USB Audio Capabilities“ and not fixing a quite serious flaw of that feature… would we let Neural get away with this? :unsure:

I've tried hitting them up a few times already regarding this issue but everytime the answer seems to be the same as what's been last posted in the FAS forum. :confused:

I don't think any feedback or "uproar" about it would make them change their mind, it's just very low priority for their current workforce on the device. FM3 is kinda feeling like the shafted one of the family recently...

Yikes. What a frustrating and condescending response.

And sort of disappointing to know that this sort of latency and the latency reporting are even issues. I know the FM3 is a unit full of compromises (by its nature), but I'd expect more when a 3 paragraph section of the product's page is titled (in big bold letters) "Impressive USB Audio Capabilities". If they can't / won't improve it, or won't right now because they're focusing on other products, they should at least not push that aspect as pro-level for "studio work" or that the FM3 can "double as the hub of a portable recording studio". Any cheap prosumer audio interface with these sort of issues wouldn't even be a consideration.
I agree.

The Fractal explanation is full of contradictions, you can't say that the FM3 is a serious professional product - whilst saying at the same time there is a fundamental issue which they promote the product with.

I have no need for gapless switching - I do have a need for a useable audio interface which I was owed to believe it was when I purchased it.

I agree.

The Fractal explanation is full of contradictions, you can't say that the FM3 is a serious professional product - whilst saying at the same time there is a fundamental issue which they promote the product with.

I have no need for gapless switching - I do have a need for a useable audio interface which I was owed to believe it was when I purchased it.
Not to sound biased but I think we are overacting a little bit.

Even if you remove USB audio entirely it's still very much a professional device imo.

Hopefully they fix it soon but they have quite the back log and tons of people ask for a bunch of things. I'm sure they will get to it. In the meantime you can plug in to a Audio Interface to make due (which imo the fractal line is overrated as an audio interface, even on the III. I always recommend a dedicated AI). However, there is no work around to gapless switching, the missing amp models, etc. so I imagine those are taking priority.

I don't see the issue. People are having some problems with their devices, doesn't matter if anybody agrees or not, there are some problems. Nobody is saying crazy stuff like "FAS sucks" etc. They all spent money on the products that they love. People are allowed to talk about things that could be improved upon imho. Everybody knows how much I use and love my Fractal gear but if I'm having issues, I should be free to (calmly and respectfully) talk about them, right?

Edit: I'm referring to the thread on the other forum being closed.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue. People are having some problems with their devices, doesn't matter if anybody agrees or not, there are some problems. Nobody is saying crazy stuff like "FAS sucks" etc. They all spent money on the products that they love. People are allowed to talk about things that could be improved upon imho. Everybody knows how much I use and love my Fractal gear but if I'm having issues, I should be free to (calmly and respectfully) talk about them, right?
Isn't that what we are all doing?

I'm also curious if Fractal has fixed the MIDI out voltage issue on the newer FM3 units. The FM3 would provide higher voltage to connected MIDI devices than it should. This mainly affected devices like the CME WIDI Master wireless dongle, they would get hot in use on the FM3 but not e.g on my Focusrite audio interface. I had to build an adapter cable with a resistor in it that reduced the voltage to the appropriate level and that solved the problem.

Fractal has never acknowledged the issue afaik. Axe-Fx 3 does not suffer from the same problem either.

Back