FM3 as audio interface?

1704127273331.png

Adjust that slider, or enter a value in samples in the box next to it.

Where do I start with this.
I have had the FM3 for 3 years this month and recording via USB has never worked correctly as in there is offset latency when recording.

I have a couple of other USB devices so last year I raised a support ticket with them with some offset latency numbers.
Antelope synergy mic - under 1ms
Native instruments Complete 4ms -
FM3 - 12ms

This was acknowledged by Support of being an issue but no date for fix

Over the last 12 months on the Fractal forum I have posted threads about it.
The last update was on the thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/page-4#post-2489736

It was a little disappointing to hear that apparently for most people it was "not a showstopper".
Fractal's own website claims that it has "impressive USB capabilities" - this simply is not true.
I'm more of a recording guitar player but don't need the processing of the axe3 (more interested in raw amp tones) so it would be lovely that company of Fractal's quality would fix this.

“To be fair…” Looks to me that it is an issue that they might not consider it as a priority or that it is something hardware related and hard or impossible to fix. I would be disappointed too for that price and their advertising.

From memory, I think the value of the latency adjustment is dependent on what blocks you have in your chain. For example, I recall an empty patch requiring a different value vs a patch with an amp block vs one with amp and cab blocks.

It’s been over a year since I looked into this issue into depth with my setup.

I also had to increased the value from V6 to V7, although I might’ve just added more effect blocks into my typical patch.

From memory, I think the value of the latency adjustment is dependent on what blocks you have in your chain. For example, I recall an empty patch requiring a different value vs a patch with an amp block vs one with amp and cab blocks.

It’s been over a year since I looked into this issue into depth with my setup.

I also had to increased the value from V6 to V7, although I might’ve just added more effect blocks into my typical patch.

I suggest dialling in the latency compensation to an in>out preset. If you dial it in for a super complex preset that perhaps does introduce a bit of latency, then you're negatively affecting it for simpler presets.

Where do you check the version of USB driver for the Axe?
this is the link for the FM3 drivers

They don't seem to announce it on the Fractal forum to my knowledge so I have to check every so often this link.

The USB drivers can be found here on the forum I believe

The USB drivers can be found here on the forum I believe
Doesn't work for the FM3 I don't think.

Recording time is limited as is. Zero chance in hell I would be fucking with any of this manual correction.

Another thread was opened on the Fractal forum regarding this issue - it has now been locked, not sure why it was all very courteous.

"We are of course aware of the USB latency reporting complaint. We understand and empathize that this issue and required workarounds have made things more difficult for some of you. However, the FM3 team has been dedicated to keeping up with Axe-Fx updates for as far back as I can remember. It requires a lot more work for the "little brother" to inherit features from the powerful Axe-Fx III, and addressing the USB fix is would need to take effort away from these other areas. The vast majority of customers would prefer that we continue to add new amp models, new effects, new sound features, and more -- and even clamor on a regular basis for these to be done already. And this isn't like "dusting crops": the FM3 is a serious professional product which needs to be programmed and maintained with the utmost care. We will keep you updated on any developments in this area and maintain our commitment to high quality products"

Not allowing justified and reasonably expressed criticism is never a good move.
Although I personally don't actually use the FM3's USB audio, it should work if it's advertised.
Agreed but as FAS has stated before, it is their forum and they can mod what is and is not allowed, for better or worse.

Fortunately, we do have "neutral" forums where we can discuss such things, such as here!

Not trying to give FAS an out but this isn't out of the ordinary.

I think it fair honestly there was nothing more that could be discussed they gave honest answer , we will get to it as soon as we have time but at the moment most users want all the new stuff

What could be gained by 2 pages of complaints if they have addressed that they are aware and will work on it

Back