FM3 as audio interface?

With my Quantum, if I loopback from output 1 into input 1, and I do the same test, I get this:
1704114224866.png

Which is more or less dead on. So I can confirm, the Axe FX III could be tighter really.

Is this screen relevant whatsoever?View attachment 16574
Yeah your recording delay is basically the offset value. Best thing to do is measure the difference between your reamp signal and your Axe FX's output, and from that you can calculate the offset you need.

Jon's already done all this I'm assuming. He's just wanting the Axe to do it automatically, which it does seem to do to some extent, but it isn't dead on.

Yeah your recording delay is basically the offset value. Best thing to do is measure the difference between your reamp signal and your Axe FX's output, and from that you can calculate the offset you need.

Jon's already done all this I'm assuming. He's just wanting the Axe to do it automatically, which it does seem to do to some extent, but it isn't dead on.
I’m using an FM3 .
Would there be any difference between the Axe and the FM3 regarding this?
How would I go about measuring my reamp
Signal and the units output signal.
Sorry for my ignorance lol

So... in Reaper, I start off with:
View attachment 16565

I add a track, stick a drum sample on it, and setup the routing so that it sends to the Axe FX via the USB 7/8 inputs. Then I setup this patch in Axe Edit:
View attachment 16567

And I setup another track to monitor out 1 in the DAW, and I record it. This is what I see:
View attachment 16568

For a buffer size of 64, and a sample-rate of 48000, there is a 30 sample offset here; which is approximately 0.625 milliseconds. IMHO, not something to worry about, but easily adjustable by doing a 30 sample offset in the preferences.

If I do not use the reported value from the driver.... I get this:
View attachment 16569

Which is about 285 samples; or approximately 5.9 milliseconds.

So clearly the driver is reporting something to the DAW, which is much better than it used to be.

If I enter 30 into the output manual offset section of Reaper:
View attachment 16570

Then it is dead on. But this value won't translate to my other audio interfaces, so I'll remove it.
Are you use the Input Manual offset and set to -30 samples?
I thought the Axe 3 manual offset had been fixed? 5.9 ms still seems a lot compared to other devices?

Are you use the Input Manual offset and set to -30 samples?
I thought the Axe 3 manual offset had been fixed? 5.9 ms still seems a lot compared to other devices?
Please re-read my posts again.

The auto-compensation within Reaper, using the drivers reported values, gets me to within under a millisecond of the input signal - ie; they are reasonably closely aligned.

The 5.9ms figure is only when you disable using the drivers reported values.

How would I go about measuring my reamp
Signal and the units output signal.
Sorry for my ignorance lol
Put a sound with a clearly identifiable transient on a track - a kick drum, snare drum, or a rimshot or something.

Send that to your Axe FX via USB 7+8. Have a straight preset on the Axe where Input USB goes straight to output 1. Turn the noise gate off on the in USB block.

In your DAW setup another track monitoring the USB input that corresponds to output 1 - input 1/2 by default.

Then record the signal. Then zoom in and compare/measure the difference between the two transients. This will tell you for that buffer setting and sample-rate, what your offset needs to be.

Please re-read my posts again.

The auto-compensation within Reaper, using the drivers reported values, gets me to within under a millisecond of the input signal - ie; they are reasonably closely aligned.

The 5.9ms figure is only when you disable using the drivers reported values.
Ah ok - was just the order you presented the screenshots in

Last edited:
🤪
So this is where I’m at
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 9.29.55 AM.png

the upper track is dead on the beat
the lower track here is one tick behind
how do I go about finding what the offset should be?
fm3

logic is a bit shit with sample accurate editing. But they do have a HW insert plugin with a ping that can align/measure.

All you need to do here is measure that time gap. could use a sample delay and polarity flip and gradually delay the original file until it phase cancels with the FM-3. You can see exactly how many samples behind it is.

Or you can measure with the marquee tool

Back