FM3 as audio interface?

(which imo the fractal line is overrated as an audio interface, even on the III. I always recommend a dedicated AI)

Yeah I’m starting to come to that conclusion myself. I have the Axe Turbo Championship Edition and I get enough varied latency issues to consider going back to using an AI. I am going to try checking the USB version this weekend but I got it recently enough I’d assume it’s all current.

Yeah I’m starting to come to that conclusion myself. I have the Axe Turbo Championship Edition and I get enough varied latency issues to consider going back to using an AI. I am going to try checking the USB version this weekend but I got it recently enough I’d assume it’s all current.
For sure. I always use a dedicated AI. Amps, helix, Kemper, etc etc. If you are serious about recording, you need to consider an AI.

Apparently this is something that is very common with various audio devices. Maybe it's just a coincidence that I've never dealt with an issue like this before. No sound card that I've ever used before had a latency like this, also not my Axe Fx II and XL+.

Do you have a dedicated AI at all Jon? I'd honestly be shocked if you didn't with all you gear and recording.

People sometimes ask me that and tell me to get a dedicated sound card but aside from the things that I sometimes have to deal with, working with my Axe Fx III as soundcard for recording guitars and reamping with real amps etc just works really well. Even with large mix sessions, it can handle it really well. For recording vocals and stuff I always use another device though, but for getting my guitar signals into my PC digitally, I really like working with my Axe Fx and have for a decade or so.

For sure. I always use a dedicated AI. Amps, helix, Kemper, etc etc. If you are serious about recording, you need to consider an AI.

Oh yeah, I was using an AI before getting the Axe, I was just hoping it could be an all-in-one device and replace it, to cut back on wires/devices/clutter etc.

I'd kind of rather the FM3 had good 2 channel digital IO (SPIDIF / AES, etc...) with the ability to set the clock source and frequency than an onboard AI.

-Aaron

Oh yeah, I was using an AI before getting the Axe, I was just hoping it could be an all-in-one device and replace it, to cut back on wires/devices/clutter etc.
That would be ideal! I use the EVO4 (or 8) and it doesn't take up much space. Although it does feel pretty cheap, it's worked fine for me.

But yes, I hope fractal works on it after the backlog is caught up on

Perhaps I was too harsh, just felt that way to me. I didn't even post in that thread myself but this made me feel like what I'm saying didn't make sense while it does:

View attachment 16799

Anyway, it's all good. No harm meant!

As I said, I haven't experienced anything like this with any other USB sound card. If this behavior is expected with the Fractal devices I guess we should just accept it and move on. I never said it's a huge deal.

The message you’re quoting is not from a FAS employee. ;)

I'm just curious though, to anybody here with an Axe Fx 3: when you are using it as your USB audio interface, are you experiencing any issues like a delay, even after the "fix"? And if so, is that same thing also happening with your other interfaces?

In my case the answer is no, but maybe this isn't the same with other PC's/daws. In my case it's just happening with the Fractal devices. So I don't feel like the issue with the Axe Fx III is fixed completely. It has improved, sure! But not fixed 100% (if I compare it to my experiences with various other USB interfaces that I have used over the years).

Back