First guitar amp/fx modeler?

Necropost alert.

The L6 POD was my first modeler, right after they started shipping with the 2.0 upgrade already installed from the factory. I had just graduated high school.

As cool as that device was, it was actually the model guide in the manual that perhaps left the biggest mark on me. I was young and had no idea what a Deluxe Reverb sounded like, or how the Cut knob on an AC30 worked. I studied that guide like the fate of the world depended on it. I spend months working through the amp models, referencing the guide, listening, adjusting, comparing…it was like someone dropped a museum of gear on me and my little 18 year old brain couldn’t get enough.

Now I have a tradition of running through some specific amps every time a next gen device comes out just to compare and appreciate the increased realism we seem to get with each new generation modeler.

Imho the L6 pod is one of the greatest piece of gear ever made.

Nothing has been the same after they released it.

IMG_1373.jpeg

cjqke5fboo896n1xtfrm.jpg

Yamaha DG80 1x12 combo for me. It's still one of the best designed modelers ever made.

The one pictured seems to be the older model which didn't have all the fx printed on the front panel (got them as a fw update tho).

Its operation was so delightfully simple:
  • 8 generic amp models.
  • Section for selecting a preset from the front panel.
  • Trim optimized the input for the guitar you use.
  • Output sets output level.
  • Chickenhead knobs are motorized and move to show preset's amp settings or effects settings depending on the Mode button.
  • Want to edit fx? Press the Mode button and the chickenhead knobs now have 2-3 controls doing tape echo, chorus and tremolo.
  • Reverb is on the amp layer and is just a level control with a button to switch between spring, plate and hall reverb.
I'm still amazed nobody has given another try at this design, with either the faster modern motorized controls or with rotaries and LED rings. It works, is almost as easy as a regular amp.

Started playing in 1995, never really liked multi/modeling stuff.

Crossed paths with friends' gear/plugins over the years:

- Boss GT-8 and GT PRO
- some little Zoom device
- a silver KORG AX family member
- Waves GTR
- various iterations of Guitar Rig

All had some decent sounds but were just "mehhhh" to me.

Then, during one of the longer Covid lockdowns in 2020 I got sucked in by YouTube videos with A/B comparisons of real-life pedals against HX/Helix models, and after a few hours developed a MASSIVE case of GAS.

I quickly built a "financing plan" Excel sheet, and sold gear that sat unused. A couple weeks later I had enough cash, and the end of the lockdown was within reach. Needless to say, I went to the store as quick as I could, picked it up, and have been happy with the unit ever since. :D

I'm aware of its drawbacks, but there's always a workaround. ;)

EDIT: I totally forgot the POD X3 that I owned for a few years. Bought used, in good condition, I always wanted to like that one, but never could, for some reason. Seems I erased it from my mind after selling it on... ;)

Last edited:
I bought a digitech RP7 in 98 or 99. Prior to that I'd been using a few boss pedals and Dunlop wah. I couldn't even try it in the store but the sales guy told me that boss owned digitech and the effects in the rp7 were the same as the boss single stomp boxes. Like the young idiot I was I believed him but soon found out he was full of shit.

The store wouldn't take it back so I was stuck with this large blue piece of shit that might still be in my dad's garage. I went back to my boss pedals and didn't look at modelling/multi fx for a long time.
Fuck I hated that rp7.

bcqyhraqrn0qweouajw0 (1).jpg

First modeling? Hmm, modeling...

I ran the (analog) speaker emulated output of a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp into an Alesis Quadraverb GT with its speaker emulation (digital EQ based?) also engaged for my first direct rig. Sounded great. I don't think there was anything else that could be called "modeling" in the quadraverb gt.

Next was a Flextone (III I think) circa late 2000/early 2001 which was the first amp modeling I ever used.

I was running a Fender GDEC and Boss ME50. I had barely an idea how to run either, let alone the two together.

Back in the 90's it was a Korg G3, not bad for what it was at the time. Affordable and reasonable ( not great) effects.
Then around mid 2000's I got the Korg AX1500G, which, for me, was a step up.
But still not great.
Thats when I went down the pedals route.
However, about 2012 I got a Line6 M5, to add to my existing pedals. Bought it as a cheap way of adding effects that I didn't already have. The o/ds in it were a bit meh, but it had some decent reverb and delays.
About 4 months ago the M5 "died".
So I thought, ok, I'll stay with pedals from now on. However, Blackstar had bought out the Amped 1 & 2.
It was bound to happen.... GAS attack!!!
Now I have the Amped 2 as well as my pedals.
Now I'm happy................... so far 😉
ffthullkao37euesy4o9.jpg
57_2a910505-8b98-4427-9392-4253ebf0252a_1200x1200.jpg
7422846_800.jpg
IMG_20230805_145957.jpg

I wish I had tried it. Decent?

I’d like to see a new Pandora with improved amp and effects modeling, IR’s, built in drum rhythms, Bluetooth streaming for backing tracks and play along plus a looper and multi-track recorder. Kind of like a Boss Micro BR-80 on steroids and in that form factor.
View attachment 324
I am still using the BR-80 when I travel. Loaded with backing tracks. I have dialed some decent tones that are pleasant to play with headphones.

It has everything that is needed, in pocket size. Rhythms, play audio files, speed change, multi-track recording, mic, line aux input.

A modern version with Bluetooth streaming, updated COSM, IR loader and better file management would be very welcome.

Luckily, my phone still has headphone jack output that I connect to the BR-80 aux input when needed. So I am not in a rush until I have to renew my phone.

BOSS BR-80.jpg

Last edited:
The first half of my tone chasing life was dedicated to finding an all in one solution, and this was the first attempt. Made entirely of plastic, I rode it til the wheels fell off (refused to power up). I mean, its a multi-fx, but it had different amp sims, so I'd consider it an early modeler. Anyway, it made my guitar sound like a humpback whale which was pretty awesome at the time. :LOL:

3zyaRI9h.jpg

Back