FAS Speaker Tab…

TubeStack

Shredder
… has been the single most important set of parameters for me in getting the feel and response as close to an actual tube amp as I can, using a solid state power amp + Mesa cab setup.

Speaker Impedance Curve, Speaker Breakup, Drive, etc, all make a big difference and add up to an astonishing level of realism.

I know it's a lot of experienced Fractal users here, but just for the record: it's a very effective page for getting great results.

(And for @Stone when he inevitably gets an FM3… :grin)

… has been the single most important set of parameters for me in getting the feel and response as close to an actual tube amp as I can, using a solid state power amp + Mesa cab setup.

Speaker Impedance Curve, Speaker Breakup, Drive, etc, all make a big difference and add up to an astonishing level of realism.

I know it's a lot of experienced Fractal users here, but just for the record: it's a very effective page for getting great results.

(And for @Stone when he inevitably gets an FM3… :grin)
I love the impedance curve!

Playing with the impedance curves using real cabs got some pretty damn cool results. The feel of it completely changes and the way I can feel low end hitting my toes at low volumes is pretty f*cking cool.
For me it was the last thing needed to make the amp models feel like using a real amp through my cabs.

I started to think today if modelers need to come with a built in solid-state stereo poweramp and be able to automatically figure out the speaker impedance curve needed if connected to a real cab.

Honestly; I futzed with this tab ALL THE TIME with the FM3. Not sure why; but I never do anything with it in the FM9.

It does help, but it isn't the same thing as a valve head into a cab. There's impedance interactions with the speaker that modellers and class D poweramps don't recreate properly.

It does help, but it isn't the same thing as a valve head into a cab. There's impedance interactions with the speaker that modellers and class D poweramps don't recreate properly.

Agreed. Is Class A/B any better?

That’s what my ISP Stealth Pro is… I’ve yet to try a Class D, Seymour Duncan, etc.

Agreed. Is Class A/B any better?

That’s what my ISP Stealth Pro is… I’ve yet to try a Class D, Seymour Duncan, etc.
Nearly every guitar amplifier with multiple output valves will operate in Class AB

Are you saying that’s why a solid state Class A/B power amp will somehow be better with a modeler?
All depends really Class A/B is the stalwart including Mainstream Hi-Fi but Of late certain advancements in Class D are replacing Class A/B due to weight and cost factors and they can sound really good, the reason being why a lot of "FRFR" Wedges and powered cabs Use Class D is based on price performance ratios, all depends on what your budget is and what tone in the room your seeking
as we often see here a lot like 4CM into their amps & cabs while others prefer "FRFR" setup, its always a matter of budget and preference as in all things, myself i use powered cabs (for room tones stereo is awesome) from my Helix and works for me YMMV
Atomic CLR which are highly regarded and Praised use Class D
Friedman ASM12 powered cabs use Class A/B is one better than the other ? :idk

I'd quite like to try a Class A/B poweramp, to see if it's any different in the feel and sag.

There's a ludicrous thread on the Fractal forum right now with a lot of people claiming that 'feel' is imaginary. I can only think they've got dogshit ears tbh.

Are you saying that’s why a solid state Class A/B power amp will somehow be better with a modeler?
Shaq No GIF

All depends really Class A/B is the stalwart including Mainstream Hi-Fi but Of late certain advancements in Class D are replacing Class A/B due to weight and cost factors and they can sound really good, the reason being why a lot of "FRFR" Wedges and powered cabs Use Class D is based on price performance ratios, all depends on what your budget is and what tone in the room your seeking
as we often see here a lot like 4CM into their amps & cabs while others prefer "FRFR" setup, its always a matter of budget and preference as in all things, myself i use powered cabs (for room tones stereo is awesome) from my Helix and works for me YMMV
Atomic CLR which are highly regarded and Praised use Class D
Friedman ASM12 powered cabs use Class A/B is one better than the other ? :idk

I think the Friedmans are Class G?

Also, fwiw, I think the ISP guy says the Stealth Pro is “almost Class H” in a video I found. But everything else I've found says A/B.

Anyway, both the ISP and the Katana are Class A/B and are the only power amps I've tried. The SDs are on my list, but I don't love them and am pretty damn happy with the ISP, really.

I would LOVE it if Fractal would just make a damn power amp, or have someone make a Fractal-approved one. I'd buy it in a second.

Honestly; I futzed with this tab ALL THE TIME with the FM3. Not sure why; but I never do anything with it in the FM9.

Interesting. Are you using your FM9 straight into a DAW? If so, maybe the default settings are great for that.

I think the Friedmans are Class G?

Also, fwiw, I think the ISP guy says the Stealth Pro is “almost Class H” in a video I found. But everything else I've found says A/B.

Anyway, both the ISP and the Katana are Class A/B and are the only power amps I've tried. The SDs are on my list, but I don't love them and am pretty damn happy with the ISP, really.

I would LOVE it if Fractal would just make a damn power amp, or have someone make a Fractal-approved one. I'd buy it in a second.
well then if your happy with your ISP then all good
as im happy with both my Powercabs (y)

Great article here on amp class designs

I'd quite like to try a Class A/B poweramp, to see if it's any different in the feel and sag.

There's a ludicrous thread on the Fractal forum right now with a lot of people claiming that 'feel' is imaginary. I can only think they've got dogshit ears tbh.

There seems to be a bit of sag with both the ISP and Katana 100 Power Amp In, no matter what amp model I choose, and I've wondered if it's part of the A/B thing. I do choose somewhat similar amp models though, and generally go for classic rock crunch, so hard to say. (No “chugga chugga“ here, haha…)

There seems to be a bit of sag with both the ISP and Katana 100 Power Amp In, no matter what amp model I choose, and I've wondered if it's part of the A/B thing. I do choose somewhat similar amp models though, and generally go for classic rock crunch, so hard to say. (No “chugga chugga“ here, haha…)
"No chugga no cry... say say...." - Chug Marley.

Back