FAS Speaker Tab…

Also - I think FAS is the only one to model this aspect of amps?

Do the others have anything similar? Is it included in Kemper’s profiling process, or QC’s?

Also - I think FAS is the only one to model this aspect of amps?

Do the others have anything similar? Is it included in Kemper’s profiling process, or QC’s?
Helix at least does but they don't expose it as user adjustable parameters which is the real win here. I think both Helix and QC still sound good through a poweramp and cab, but being able to match the speaker impedance curves to your real cab will make it behave in a more realistic manner.

Helix at least does but they don't expose it as user adjustable parameters which is the real win here. I think both Helix and QC still sound good through a poweramp and cab, but being able to match the speaker impedance curves to your real cab will make it behave in a more realistic manner.
Helix (and most modellers/emulations) model the impedance interactions, but only for one cabinet. If you change IR’s or cabs, the impedance curve doesn’t change with it. It’s just the impedance interaction they modelled the amp with (usually the matching cab if there is one, sometimes for heavier amps it’s a Rectifier cab).

The only other company I know where you can adjust impedance curves is STL Amphub and their newer Tonality’s.

Profiling will capture what you feed into it. That’s why if you capture an amp direct, the load it’s connected to (and how you intend to use it) is really important

Helix (and most modellers/emulations) model the impedance interactions, but only for one cabinet. If you change IR’s or cabs, the impedance curve doesn’t change with it. It’s just the impedance interaction they modelled the amp with (usually the matching cab if there is one, sometimes for heavier amps it’s a Rectifier cab).

The only other company I know where you can adjust impedance curves is STL Amphub and their newer Tonality’s.

Profiling will capture what you feed into it. That’s why if you capture an amp direct, the load it’s connected to (and how you intend to use it) is really important
Yeah, for example a Deluxe Reverb model would always use the impedance curve of a 1x12 Deluxe Reverb Jensen speaker.

ML Sound Lab MIKKO lets you bake in a user adjusted impedance curve into the exported IR, which is a novel solution but perhaps not the right one as we are talking about an interaction between the amp and cab.

is there a reason why the speaker tab and parameters are in the amp block ? should it not be in the cab block ?

200w.gif

Without some kind of accurate-ish impedance curve emulation the negative feedback loop and what's inside it like Presence & Resonance do not sound or operate correctly, especially true when the modeled poweramp starts to breakup.
I have no idea what Line 6 does but it works (sounds and measures correctly), I also assume Fractal does it with less 'tricks' and closer to what a real amp does electrically.

Last edited:
Back