(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

I start with the amp, dial that in to taste. Then I go over the modelers and run the same DI tracks through them, tweak them to try to match them (to an extend and within reason). Put them together, level match them and that's that.
In the Axe-Fx you have tools at your disposal to do this scientifically. Learn how to use the Tone Match block. It's a great tool for identifying frequency differences. Try different impedance curves until the line is as flat as possible. You can also use it when comparing other products to one another or to real amps.

At high gain levels humans hear frequency response above all else. There are little dynamics left and subtle things like distortion decay texture are not heard. It's neat to compare a real amp to a modeler but if all things are not equal, i.e. speaker impedance curve, compressions settings, etc. it's simply not an accurate comparison.

It's working. Several million in annual revenue. :idk
Yep. When I saw the stats on that from ad traffic alone, the “supporting memberships” made me cackle. The only things those memberships are supporting are the owners’ bank accounts.

The ad stuffing really does keep increasing, too. Even if you’re signed in, if you go there with a mobile browser, there are now persistent animated banners at the bottom of the screen most of the time. Reminds me of an Angelfire site from 1998.

If you haven’t been corrected by Jay , you have not spent enough time on gear forums
The first time it happens, it catches you by surprise, because he stalks his prey from the shadows like a hungry puma before pouncing.

But then after a few times you realize he’s more like a lovable housecat that barely tolerates people, and you wave the string around for him just for fun. ;)

(He really does know his technical stuff. Have to give credit where it’s due, and I’ve genuinely learned things from some of his posts.)

So this is what a "bug" looks like? :idk

5153_Aliasing_Brand_F_vs_AxeFx3.PNG

Back