(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

I've got the physical amps of the same models of BE-100 and Recto amps that are in TMP. Sweetwater has "demo" TMPs for $1530.

I am soooo tempted to buy one and take all this crap up the street to the studio I usually goof off in and reamp some Lasse Lammert against the Amps, TMP and AXE III. Mic up a real cab there, run the TMP and AXE into the power amps of the real physical amps and just see what is what.

It would be a shit load of work and I can get studio time pretty cheap but it would also be a hell of a lot of fun and I know the guy there would love trying to legitimately match these up vs each other.

I would expect a lot more people will be shooting out the TMP over the next months. Props to @GuitarJon on the EVH shootout.

Dude, do the Recto next. I know you have one in that amp pile of yours. :satan Who knows how many more bugs will be uncovered...
The JCM800 I think has a bug most definitely

Do I really believe it’s just a bug? Eh. But the fact that they were upfront about it within 1 day is the right move for building trust and showing they’re committed to the product. I do believe that it’ll be noticeably improved in the next firmware or two.
It's certainly not impossible. Fractal has had plenty of "this model was using the wrong values for something" that was not found out until someone pointed it out. Let's face it, keeping 300+ amp models all perfect across any modeling changes is going to be a lot of work. On top of that programming is hard, and it's easy to make stupid mistakes even when you have a lot of experience and know the system inside and out.

Of course, when someone raised the issue, Fractal forum users would go "nope, did not happen, Fractal never makes a mistake" until the issue was actually verified to be a problem.

We put a lot of stock in our favorite modeler makers getting things right. We can't go to their amp room to try their reference amps and verify. We can't be sure their reference amp is the best example of said amp either.

For example I like how my Strymon Iridium sounds, but its Marshall model is closest to the Fractal 1959SLP model, a Marshall Superlead reissue rather than a vintage model. It sounds much more "polite" than the Plexi 50 or 100 models, with less gain and sizzle. The Strymon seems to do a bit unusual "more normal volume and less treble volume" thing with its single Drive knob whereas most people dial a Plexi for more treble, less normal volume so it has more bite.

For someone looking for a vintage Marshall tone, the Strymon model might be a bad thing because it isn't aggressive and sizzly in the same way. It's not even a question of "this device is more accurate" but "I like this variant of the amp better." I'm sure when people get their hands on the UA Lion this same hyperbole about how it's soooo much better than <insert modeler> will raise its head on The Other Place.

It's certainly not impossible. Fractal has had plenty of "this model was using the wrong values for something" that was not found out until someone pointed it out. Let's face it, keeping 300+ amp models all perfect across any modeling changes is going to be a lot of work. On top of that programming is hard, and it's easy to make stupid mistakes even when you have a lot of experience and know the system inside and out.

Of course, when someone raised the issue, Fractal forum users would go "nope, did not happen, Fractal never makes a mistake" until the issue was actually verified to be a

Yep, even FAS make mistakes now and again. The JPIIC had to be fixed as well as the Dark Glass bass preamp. I like that Cliff seems to be very open to constructive criticism of his models if you can be specific and back it up with evidence. Unfortunately, the cult of users (of whom I am one) isn’t always very open to the same critiques.

Excited Ultimate Warrior GIF by WWE

Back