Do you buy guitars that are signature ?

May grab a PRS SE Holcomb 6 tomorrow at my local shop. Very gently used, we shall see. And for the record, I don't listen to Periphery lol.

May grab a PRS SE Holcomb 6 tomorrow at my local shop. Very gently used, we shall see. And for the record, I don't listen to Periphery lol.

Those are great guitars! I’ve played both the 6-string and 7-strings, both are killer. I almost bought the 7-string and most likely would have if it had a Floyd. I definitely prefer the necks on them compared to the standard PRS Custom neck.

Those are great guitars! I’ve played both the 6-string and 7-strings, both are killer. I almost bought the 7-string and most likely would have if it had a Floyd. I definitely prefer the necks on them compared to the standard PRS Custom neck.
Thank you sir! Falls in with what my own research has told me. Should go well with my CE24 DW, which I absolutely adore, other than the satin - which is probably going to get a thin coat of car polish added soon as the shiny spots are starting to bother my OCD-ness.

I'm pretty neck agnostic, have a core CU24 and the CE mentioned above, both thin but not overly so. My only other current thin would be a Jackson MII Soloist.

I wanted a fixed bridge that is more built for C/Drop-C as I need to branch out and learn some newer riffs! Finding one that's near mint as you can get for $200 less than new is a win for me, and it's local so even better.

Thank you sir! Falls in with what my own research has told me. Should go well with my CE24 DW, which I absolutely adore, other than the satin - which is probably going to get a thin coat of car polish added soon as the shiny spots are starting to bother my OCD-ness.

I'm pretty neck agnostic, have a core CU24 and the CE mentioned above, both thin but not overly so. My only other current thin would be a Jackson MII Soloist.

I wanted a fixed bridge that is more built for C/Drop-C as I need to branch out and learn some newer riffs! Finding one that's near mint as you can get for $200 less than new is a win for me, and it's local so even better.

I WAS neck agnostic until a recent 1” neck flipped me, when I picked up my SE Semi Hollow again, it was far too angular on the shoulders and too thin. I still love my Ibanez necks because those shoulders aren’t as sharp, but I was really surprised at how off my playing was on the PRS after adjusting to very C-shaped Strat necks.

Used SE’s are popping up all the time and for the most part, I haven’t seen any that have been beat up, knowing how well PRS sends them out, as long as the seller didn’t seem to butcher the thing, I’d have no problem buying one used. I still might snag a Holcomb 7 at some point, but Solar has been calling my name again!

Ha! Surprising, I have an SE HB II (my only SE to this point) and really like the neck! Everyone likes what they like of course. I have short fingers, little skill, bumb thumbs (tm) and I'm 55.

Finally got around the last 3.5 years to getting somewhere after trying to learn guitar 3 or 4 times since the late 80's. If the wife comes aboard this will make guitar # 10 lol, which seems to make more sense than 9. But then wouldn't 12 make ever more sense? :hmm The thing that worries me is that 13 is a baker's dozen and may make even more sense?!

Oh, almost forgot, Solar and Ibanez are calling my name, too. Not to mention Ten32, potentially.

Ha! Surprising, I have an SE HB II (my only SE to this point) and really like the neck! Everyone likes what they like of course. I have short fingers, little skill, bumb thumbs (tm) and I'm 55.

Finally got around the last 3.5 years to getting somewhere after trying to learn guitar 3 or 4 times since the late 80's. If the wife comes aboard this will make guitar # 10 lol, which seems to make more sense than 9. But then wouldn't 12 make ever more sense? :hmm The thing that worries me is that 13 is a baker's dozen and may make even more sense?!

Oh, almost forgot, Solar and Ibanez are calling my name, too. Not to mention Ten32, potentially.

Is Ten32 that company with the modular guitar that breaks down and fits into a carry-on/suitcase kinda thing?

If I were to get another PRS, it’d either be the Zach Meyers model or the HB II Piezo, seems a hollowbody would make a bit of sense with the piezo thing and I know the Meyers neck is pretty chunky. I was fine with the SE neck I own until that damn 1” Strat neck ruined me. It’s far too jarring of a difference to be comfortable at this point.

I’ve got one Solar already and it’s awesome. Like, really awesome. At this point I’m never looking at new Ibanez stuff because to get the same quality I got with that Solar, I’d need to spend twice the amount of a Solar. Love Ibanez, but no thanks on that!

Is Ten32 that company with the modular guitar that breaks down and fits into a carry-on/suitcase kinda thing?

If I were to get another PRS, it’d either be the Zach Meyers model or the HB II Piezo, seems a hollowbody would make a bit of sense with the piezo thing and I know the Meyers neck is pretty chunky. I was fine with the SE neck I own until that damn 1” Strat neck ruined me. It’s far too jarring of a difference to be comfortable at this point.

I’ve got one Solar already and it’s awesome. Like, really awesome. At this point I’m never looking at new Ibanez stuff because to get the same quality I got with that Solar, I’d need to spend twice the amount of a Solar. Love Ibanez, but no thanks on that!
Yes, that's the company. I probably won't get one with a detachable headstock, nor the fancy case - but he's trying to steer me that way during the quoting process. I may end up being a software dev for him, the problem is he's soooo busy with getting things going that I don't have a lot of direction to move forward with his site, etc.

Heard a lot of good about the Zach, and I think they're even putting good nuts on them now, but don't hold me to that. I have a core 594 and an Agile LP copy so I'm pretty good on singlecuts.

Damn, that's great to hear about your experience w/Solar. Ola is a cool dude. I was looking at a gold top A1 series on the 'verb but it has some weird little glob on the top. Do you think a Solar would be smarter than the Holcomb? I guess it's a toss up, my only real fear is getting one where the logo or inlay pops off, otherwise I hear 99% good things. I have heard that even Prestige level Ibanez has gone down hill, I just miss the one I let go lol.

Yes, that's the company. I probably won't get one with a detachable headstock, nor the fancy case - but he's trying to steer me that way during the quoting process. I may end up being a software dev for him, the problem is he's soooo busy with getting things going that I don't have a lot of direction to move forward with his site, etc.

Heard a lot of good about the Zach, and I think they're even putting good nuts on them now, but don't hold me to that. I have a core 594 and an Agile LP copy so I'm pretty good on singlecuts.

Damn, that's great to hear about your experience w/Solar. Ola is a cool dude. I was looking at a gold top A1 series on the 'verb but it has some weird little glob on the top. Do you think a Solar would be smarter than the Holcomb? I guess it's a toss up, my only real fear is getting one where the logo or inlay pops off, otherwise I hear 99% good things. I have heard that even Prestige level Ibanez has gone down hill, I just miss the one I let go lol.

Hmm, well, if there’s a Solar that’s got specs you find more appealing than the Holcomb, I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the Solar. Quality wise, they both came with great fretwork, but I’m going to give bonus points to Solar because they’re stainless steel and flawless.

E9C38C52-CAAB-4516-9617-CBEBD03CBE8E.jpeg

The logo IS lifting around the edges but I’m sure I could get it stuck back down with some CA glue and a piece of paper or something to get it under there, I just don’t care that much. No issues with the fretboard cracking or the inlay lifting at all. Honestly, I very much think there were maybe 5-6 guitars it happened to and the internet made a bigger thing out of it than it really was. I kept asking for some kind of proof that it was occurring as much as stated but no one could provide me with anything outside of one guy who has made it his life’s work to talk sh*t about Solar because he bought it used and they wouldn’t honor the warranty. I’m in several Solar groups on FB and if it were that big of an issue, I would have seen more of it popping up, but it’s just the same people complaining about it who never experienced it.

Also, @Ola The Swede is a member here. ;)

Hmm, well, if there’s a Solar that’s got specs you find more appealing than the Holcomb, I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the Solar. Quality wise, they both came with great fretwork, but I’m going to give bonus points to Solar because they’re stainless steel and flawless.

The logo IS lifting around the edges but I’m sure I could get it stuck back down with some CA glue and a piece of paper or something to get it under there, I just don’t care that much. No issues with the fretboard cracking or the inlay lifting at all. Honestly, I very much think there were maybe 5-6 guitars it happened to and the internet made a bigger thing out of it than it really was. I kept asking for some kind of proof that it was occurring as much as stated but no one could provide me with anything outside of one guy who has made it his life’s work to talk sh*t about Solar because he bought it used and they wouldn’t honor the warranty. I’m in several Solar groups on FB and if it were that big of an issue, I would have seen more of it popping up, but it’s just the same people complaining about it who never experienced it.

Also, @Ola The Swede is a member here. ;)
Ahh, that's a beauty! Frets do indeed look sweet, too! I came to pretty much the same conclusion you did about it being 1 or 2 disgruntled cry babies. The one thing I'm hesitant about is the lack of inlays, being a suck ass guitarist - I still rely on them pretty heavily. But then again the microscopic shark fins on my Jackson may as well not be there at all lol.

Ahh, that's a beauty! Frets do indeed look sweet, too! I came to pretty much the same conclusion you did about it being 1 or 2 disgruntled cry babies. The one thing I'm hesitant about is the lack of inlays, being a suck ass guitarist - I still rely on them pretty heavily. But then again the microscopic shark fins on my Jackson may as well not be there at all lol.

I’ve heard this from a few people, not just with the Solar, but the vine inlay on my JEM has screwed people up for years. I never even look at the fingerboard, just the side of the neck, so it was really foreign to me, but I can definitely see if one is leaning over the neck to watch where they’re fingers are going, it can be tough to get everything in view to see clearly.

I’ve heard this from a few people, not just with the Solar, but the vine inlay on my JEM has screwed people up for years. I never even look at the fingerboard, just the side of the neck, so it was really foreign to me, but I can definitely see if one is leaning over the neck to watch where they’re fingers are going, it can be tough to get everything in view to see clearly.
This is nothing next to the head fuck that my Gypsy jazz guitar is . It has no twelfth fret edge marker and the 9th fret mark is on the 10th . It’s driving me nuts.

This is nothing next to the head f**k that my Gypsy jazz guitar is . It has no twelfth fret edge marker and the 9th fret mark is on the 10th . It’s driving me nuts.

Hahahaha that’d drive me nuts, too!

Just work some Eagle magic on it!

Yeah I'm definitely looking over the top most the time, I know, I need to work on that - and I am to a point. It's hard to finally get some proficiency in the middle of your 50's, all by yourself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but progress is progress.

Yeah I'm definitely looking over the top most the time, I know, I need to work on that - and I am to a point. It's hard to finally get some proficiency in the middle of your 50's, all by yourself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but progress is progress.

Hell yeah, man. It’s not a race, enjoy it and soak it all in!

:headbang

I'm guessing the "really awful music" might have something to do with it.
I say Trey solo about 15 years ago or so. He was always right on the edge of shredding but never quite exploded into all out shred. Was a good show TBH and Im nowhere near a fan.

Back