Do you buy guitars that are signature ?

Stone

Rock Star
I buy guitars based on what it offers for my needs in my price range
I love EVH but does not mean id buy a striped Frankenstrat
Also I wont buy a signature guitar either

what about you guys?

I buy based on specs and looks but somehow I've managed to get a lot of sig guitars. Not that I even recognize or am a fan of their music but just dug the guitar. I have balaguer sig guitars from fluff and beau burchell and 2 kieth merrow schecters. Honestly could not name one song from any of them but they are all awesome guitars. I also don't think any of them are that famous to the point where the average person would be like oh you are playing that one guys guitar.

My strat is signed … dated too (2/29/2016)

That make it signature? :unsure:

Signing Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

I have, and I have no problem with it, since on the one hand, the signature guitars I've bought did/do what I want, and in the case of the Majesty, I'm fine with some of the money going to John Petrucci, as his music has brought me the most enjoyment of any artist period.
Also I wont buy a signature guitar either
So if a guitar met your criteria, you wouldn't buy it just because it's a signature model?

I have, and I have no problem with it, since on the one hand, the signature guitars I've bought did/do what I want, and in the case of the Majesty, I'm fine with some of the money going to John Petrucci, as his music has brought me the most enjoyment of any artist period.

So if a guitar met your criteria, you wouldn't buy it just because it's a signature model?

Ahh yes well maybe, but then again signature guitars are often way out of my budget :idk

I had a frigging Drowning Pool guitarist sig V FFS. Shitty band but I thought it looked cool. I ended up with a second one and was not impressed the second go round :wat

Had a Derek Trucks SG. Great guitar. I just couldn't find a good balance between the pickups. Bridge
was too thin, and neck was too muddy dark for an SG. Replaced with a '61 Reissue SG.

Richie Kotzen Tele was great. Kept that for two years. Big, honking neck on that think with jumbo frets.
Just struggle with the bright Tele, bright Maple fretboard, into bright Marshalls. Works for Richie, but
not so much for me.

PRS Tremonti was supposed to be the modern LP to end all modern LPs. Neck was too slender for me,
though. If there is a Tremonti with a Wide/Fat neck profile I could be swayed.

Robert Cray Strat. A legit hardtail Strat. Super spanky, just like a lot of the lines Robert is known for.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat. How many Strats does a guy need to try before he finally throws in the towel? :rofl

Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold top. May have been one of the first guitars I owned with Roasted
Maple fretboard. I think Gibson was working out the bugs on that process because the board ended up
being smaller than the neck it was glued to. That was weird.

Jake E. Lee earlier Charvel this year. So excited. Total clunker that should have probably never left the
factory as it was. Sorry, Jake. Still love you.

Dean Michael Schenker V. Wish I still had that. Guessing they will not longer be made since the lawsuit
was decided in Gibsons favor.

J Masics Squier Jazzmaster. Still have it. A Jazzmaster that loves Fuzz and dropped tunings. YES!

Paul Gilbert Fireman. Surprisingly fat neck and warm tones for a Gilbert Sig. Kind of wish I had that
one back, too. May have to revisit.

Had a Derek Trucks SG. Great guitar. I just couldn't find a good balance between the pickups. Bridge
was too thin, and neck was too muddy dark for an SG. Replaced with a '61 Reissue SG.

Richie Kotzen Tele was great. Kept that for two years. Big, honking neck on that think with jumbo frets.
Just struggle with the bright Tele, bright Maple fretboard, into bright Marshalls. Works for Richie, but
not so much for me.

PRS Tremonti was supposed to be the modern LP to end all modern LPs. Neck was too slender for me,
though. If there is a Tremonti with a Wide/Fat neck profile I could be swayed.

Robert Cray Strat. A legit hardtail Strat. Super spanky, just like a lot of the lines Robert is known for.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat. How many Strats does a guy need to try before he finally throws in the towel? :rofl

Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold top. May have been one of the first guitars I owned with Roasted
Maple fretboard. I think Gibson was working out the bugs on that process because the board ended up
being smaller than the neck it was glued to. That was weird.

Jake E. Lee earlier Charvel this year. So excited. Total clunker that should have probably never left the
factory as it was. Sorry, Jake. Still love you.

Dean Michael Schenker V. Wish I still had that. Guessing they will not longer be made since the lawsuit
was decided in Gibsons favor.

J Masics Squier Jazzmaster. Still have it. A Jazzmaster that loves Fuzz and dropped tunings. YES!

Paul Gilbert Fireman. Surprisingly fat neck and warm tones for a Gilbert Sig. Kind of wish I had that
one back, too. May have to revisit.
I have always dug the shit out of that Fireman model. Headstock always struck me as weirdish though for no explainable reason.

I don’t care anymore about playing a signature guitar but they do come with baggage of expectations from the audience. I had a jem 777 in 87 and mostly played my Soloist even though the jem was more comfortable. The coolest signature guitars are the one offs that never got a production release. The Green Meanie and 5150 come to mind . If you want one you have to make your own.
7F5873E6-CA75-4C55-8535-514CAFA85732.jpeg

Another thing about signature guitars is for me they need to be identical to the one the artist uses. No cheap shit look alike cash in and the specs should change if the artist changes their own one . One of the best for actually doing this and staying totally faithful to the artist’s is the Fender YJM strat.
The worst of the worst is between the N1 and the jem jr for me.

I have a PRS Dustie Waring but didn't gaf about the association. Brian's guitars in CT recommended it to complete a 3 guitar deal and it doesn't disappoint one bit! Mojotone pu's ftw!

I don’t care anymore about playing a signature guitar but they do come with baggage of expectations from the audience. I had a jem 777 in 87 and mostly played my Soloist even though the jem was more comfortable. The coolest signature guitars are the one offs that never got a production release. The Green Meanie and 5150 come to mind . If you want one you have to make your own.
View attachment 3011

Yeah, the expectation from an audience is a pain in the ass and played a big part of me getting rid of all the Vai-associated gear I owned in high school. The second another guitarists saw the JEM I’d hear “We gonna hear some shred tonight?!?” and that’s never really been my thing. It was even worse in high school when I’d show up somewhere with a Legacy, Bad Horsie wah and a JEM.
Another thing about signature guitars is for me they need to be identical to the one the artist uses. No cheap s**t look alike cash in and the specs should change if the artist changes their own one . One of the best for actually doing this and staying totally faithful to the artist’s is the Fender YJM strat.
The worst of the worst is between the N1 and the jem jr for me.

To be fair, they only made the JEM555’s and JEM Jr’s to counter the Chibanez’ stuff, putting something out there at a price point low enough that someone considering a Chibanez would just take the Ibanez option and actually get a legit branded Ibanez and it’d still most likely be better than the Chibanez, they’d at least have a truss rod.

I have no problem with them, while I certainly wear my influences on my sleeve at times, none of the music I write sounds entirely like any of my influences enough for anyone to pigeonhole me and if someone is going to make an assumption based off a picture, I don’t really have enough f*cks to give about it.

I love JEMs, love the look of them and growing as a guitarists with mine (I got it my 4th year playing, 25 years ago) I thoroughly enjoy the features of it. Sure, I can pretty much get the same specs in an RG with a Wizard III neck, but aesthetically, I love the hell out of the JEM and I suppose there’s a bit of a mental aspect to it where I can’t bullsh*t myself into saying “I can’t pull that off with this guitar” because Vai pretty much decimates that idea.

Then my Gilmour Strat, which I did put together for the sole intention of being a wannabe Gilmour on it, like I only wanted to rip off Gilmour with that guitar, it just turned out it plays so damn well and there’s a LOT more tones available from it than I was expecting so I’ve barely even touched on the Gilmour stuff as much as I have just played the thing and explored what more I can get from it.

And if I could get my hands on an Ibanez JPM without spending $5K, I’d have one of those, too! Aside from getting a Tele, I have the majority of the tonal bases covered that I want to cover, so I kind of look at buying guitars as a novelty type thing at this point, I don’t need them, I just really love guitars, whether they’ve got someone else’s name on them or not.

Back