Do you buy guitars that are signature ?

rygiogtgz8i0rabuh07j.png
When I used to teach at a local guitar store I remember when PRS started their SE line and shortly after one of their first sig models for it was Paul Allender (Cradle of Filth). I’m a fan of the band but even I thought it was an odd early choice in PRS’s budget lineup. It was a fantastic looking instrument with the purple and gold and the bat inlays but what really got me was how good it sounded.

I was not expecting much due to the one dimensional (not necessarily in a bad way) guitar sound of the band, but wow, I was completely floored by the how well it sounded both clean and high gain. I found it had a lot of versatility across both pickups and rolling off the volume and tone. I used to pull it off the rack weekly to use in my lessons and after approximately a month I got an email from the GM telling me to buy it or leave it the fuck alone. It was one of my favorite guitar purchases.

Eventually I was able to get a smoking deal on a core PRS P22 and I figured I didn’t need it anymore and sold it. I still regret that decision. Every once in a while I’ll scour eBay or Reverb seeing if I can find a used one but have not had much luck finding one at a reasonable price.

No.

Everyone is fawning over the Adam Jones signature stuff, and maybe it is coz I'm a lefty, but f**k that. Even though I'm the biggest Tool fan (I love dicks lol) I wouldn't drop that sort of coin on a copy of one of my guitar heroes guitars.

I'd much rather get a cheap 80's or 90's lawsuit Les Paul, stick some Seymour Duncan's in it, and call it a day. Cheaper, and more unique to my vibe.
The funny thing is all these signature guitars are mostly repros of off the rack cheap stuff to begin with. Your approach is best. Make stuff your own.

My #1 guitar is a Knaggs Doug Rappoport signature and my #2 is a steve Stevens 😂 but I still don’t disagree. As least these 2 guitars aren’t reproductions of anything.

I’ve owned a few signature guitars over the years. Some of them I wasn’t really a fan of the artist, some I was definitely a fan and there was one that I didn’t even know who the artist was! ;)

I’ve already got my cookie cutter strat and tele so most of the time I’m looking for something that’s a little different, out of the ordinary or gives me something special that I’m looking for. That’s how I’ve end up with signature guitars. Don’t really care about the sig thing, a good guitar is a good guitar.

I have two, one I got without realizing really realizing it was a signature model until I was in the "checkout" process, I bought it for the design/specs/appearance. The other is a Andy Timmons Sig Ibanez I got used, bought it on impulse because I'm a fan boy, and wanted to check out a strat clone with those bridge cruisers. It's out for a refret at the moment. It's not my #1 but it's different enough it's a enough it's a change of pace. I also have one guitar with the builder's signature, even though I don't believe he personally built the guitar.

I have two, one I got without realizing really realizing it was a signature model until I was in the "checkout" process, I bought it for the design/specs/appearance. The other is a Andy Timmons Sig Ibanez I got used, bought it on impulse because I'm a fan boy, and wanted to check out a strat clone with those bridge cruisers. It's out for a refret at the moment. It's not my #1 but it's different enough it's a enough it's a change of pace. I also have one guitar with the builder's signature, even though I don't believe he personally built the guitar.
AT is extremely underrated and a great human being, too. I wonder what hes been up to since ONJs passing.

AT is extremely underrated and a great human being, too. I wonder what hes been up to since ONJs passing.
He put out a new record in March but doesn't seem to be out 'touring', just some local dates in the Dallas area. Saw on Youtube he did a thing on the Keely Halo with Chicago Music Exchange but as far as I could tell no performances up here. Yeah, by all accounts a humble, great guy.

rygiogtgz8i0rabuh07j.png
When I used to teach at a local guitar store I remember when PRS started their SE line and shortly after one of their first sig models for it was Paul Allender (Cradle of Filth). I’m a fan of the band but even I thought it was an odd early choice in PRS’s budget lineup. It was a fantastic looking instrument with the purple and gold and the bat inlays but what really got me was how good it sounded.

I was not expecting much due to the one dimensional (not necessarily in a bad way) guitar sound of the band, but wow, I was completely floored by the how well it sounded both clean and high gain. I found it had a lot of versatility across both pickups and rolling off the volume and tone. I used to pull it off the rack weekly to use in my lessons and after approximately a month I got an email from the GM telling me to buy it or leave it the f**k alone. It was one of my favorite guitar purchases.

Eventually I was able to get a smoking deal on a core PRS P22 and I figured I didn’t need it anymore and sold it. I still regret that decision. Every once in a while I’ll scour eBay or Reverb seeing if I can find a used one but have not had much luck finding one at a reasonable price.

My uncle rocked one of these for a few years, doing classic rock covers, and loved it. “I just hate the f*ckin’ bats!” :rofl The SE’s are no joke and a whole lot of guitar for under a grand. I’m shipping my semi-hollow to my best friend this week because I don’t play it at all but don’t want it gone forever.

I mean Les Pauls are my favorite, so... :cop

My gut reaction to signature models is usually pass, that said if the guitar is cool and I want it then at the end of the day doesn't matter. When i was younger I had a schecter Suicide Silence signature 7 string that was pretty cool. I also had a LTD viper type that I put Gibson P94s in to doom out, but it was the signature for some tacky nu metal band, Il Nino I want to say? :roflthat guitar was pretty sweet though, aside from tacky Spade inlays that I covered with block decals

The only signature guitar I've bought was a used Yamaha Pacifica 1511 - the Mike Stern signature model. I just wanted a nice Tele type guitar, I did not know who Mike Stern was at the time. I gutted the humbuckers and installed a Vintage Vibe humbucker size P90 and a Tele singlecoil on it. Ultimately did not get along with the vintage neck radius so I sold it but it was a nice guitar.

When I was younger, if I had had the money I would have probably bought half the signature Vai, Satriani and Petrucci models out of the well-drooled Ibanez catalogs I had. Ibanez has done signature models better than many brands because they are actually unique enough to stand out.

The only signature guitar I've bought was a used Yamaha Pacifica 1511 - the Mike Stern signature model. I just wanted a nice Tele type guitar, I did not know who Mike Stern was at the time. I gutted the humbuckers and installed a Vintage Vibe humbucker size P90 and a Tele singlecoil on it. Ultimately did not get along with the vintage neck radius so I sold it but it was a nice guitar.

When I was younger, if I had had the money I would have probably bought half the signature Vai, Satriani and Petrucci models out of the well-drooled Ibanez catalogs I had. Ibanez has done signature models better than many brands because they are actually unique enough to stand out.
Man I saw him at some little place here in NYC his playing is otherworldly.

Typically no but I made an exception with the Suhr Ian Thornley Roughneck model. His name is on the back of the headstock so it’s really not obvious it’s an artist model.

I kind of love the new Satchel Charvel :rofl
Would totally grab a white one, though I wish there was a gloss-finish option. I just don't like matte finished guitars.

I LOVE the neon green/black tiger striped one. I dug the neck on it, too, wasn’t feeling the hardware/build quality that much though.

I’ve been reading/watching reviews of the Adam Jones LP for the last couple of ideas, first, let me get my assholery out of the way-

I’m pretty sure the only people who bought the first run are either Dunning Krueger specimens or beginners who believe they know a LOT of about guitars. Go onto YouTube and watch *any* demo of the AJ Epi and see what I’m talking about. I watched all of them last night and they’re all……not good. All of them. Holy sh*t. One guy was bitching about the setup, or lack of a setup, then said he has to bring all his guitars in for string changes. I can’t take that seriously, but once he started playing I just shut it off.

Thankfully, written reviews have been much better, especially those who own not just an LPC, but a Norlin-era LPC. I’m not so much worried about how it sounds, but the build quality because I’ve played some pretty sh*tty Epi’s, but from all accounts, this thing is a really well built guitar and they put some effort into stepping up the quality. Between this and the standard LPC’s they’re putting out, I could end up with a couple of them.

My only concern at this point is getting a shitty burst, I saw a few where it looks like they sprayed in straight lines and didn’t bother smoothing it out. But if it shows up like this, I’ll be a happy camper!

60090_Epiphone_Adam_Jones_Les_Paul_Custom_Art_Ryden_Incl_Protector_Case_EILPCAJV1ASBNH3_7_4000x@3x.progressive.jpg

I picked up the Cantrell Epi a while back and quite honestly it is a great f'ing guitar! I am all
for an LPC that doesn't set me back $5,000 to $6000.

Came with an hardshell case, too.

I picked up the Cantrell Epi a while back and quite honestly it is a great f'ing guitar! I am all
for an LPC that doesn't set me back $5,000 to $6000.

Came with an hardshell case, too.
Yeah, something's off. My LPC cost $680 in 81. A quick search says that $1 is now $3.28. If that's accurate, those guitars should be ~$2200 today.

Back