Do you buy guitars that are signature ?

I have a PRS Tim Mahoney (311) that I lusted after for years. Unfortunately the neck profile makes my hand cramp up. :(

I have a Phred Ernesto because I have an ethical dilemna about dropping over $10k on a Languedoc, but wanted something to scratch that Trey itch.

Oh, and I have a couple guitars with Les Paul's name on it. :LOL:

Other than a couple nerd guitarists in the room, I doubt anyone would notice I'm playing "someone else's guitar" at a gig.

I have a PRS Tim Mahoney (311) that I lusted after for years. Unfortunately the neck profile makes my hand cramp up. :(

I have a Phred Ernesto because I have an ethical dilemna about dropping over $10k on a Languedoc, but wanted something to scratch that Trey itch.

Oh, and I have a couple guitars with Les Paul's name on it. :LOL:

Other than a couple nerd guitarists in the room, I doubt anyone would notice I'm playing "someone else's guitar" at a gig.

Oh dude, @TSJMajesty and @la szum are going to be soooooo jealous of the Langeudoc-a-like, those dues LOVE Phish and anything Trey-related. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I have no problem buying them if they have features I'm looking for.

I love EJ and Yngwie sig Strats because they have features you can't get on any other model Fender makes. In the case of the EJ you can't get that neck anywhere but on that guitar and I love it.

I also really liked my EBMM JP6 and Majesty because they both had features and sounds that were unique and appealed to me.

Oh dude, @TSJMajesty and @la szum are going to be soooooo jealous of the Langeudoc-a-like, those dues LOVE Phish and anything Trey-related. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Episode 14 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

I buy guitars based on what it offers for my needs in my price range
I love EVH but does not mean id buy a striped Frankenstrat
Also I wont buy a signature guitar either

what about you guys?
doesn't matter to me. i modified all my signature ones, anyway.

my lincoln brewster strat has a humbucker and no boost anymore. my jeff beck strat has a humbucker.

i have a frankenstein on order and will probably keep that the same, but really i just wanted a drop D guitar and i played one in a music store over thanksgiving, and even with fairly dead strings it had a vibe that reeled me in. plus, i am a fender artist, so i get the deal...

Does a Jem or a Universe count? I feel like these particular guitars have become "a thing" in their own right. (See also the aforementioned Les Paul.) And (unlike the LP) they don't actually say "Steve Vai" anywhere on them.

I owned a YJM for a while because I dig scallops, and there just aren't a whole lot of production guitars with scallops out there. And I bought an Epi Iommi SG, because it looked cool and didn't cost much and I'm a rabid Sabbath fanatic.

Generally though, I'd rather not pay the premium that comes with having another artist's name on my headstock. Besides which, I'm not that artist. :idk

calvin-klein-back-to-the-future.gif

I don’t seek out Sig Guitars because of the artist or because they are signature. I only really look at them if they have the features I like / want.

Even then, I’m a bit reluctant to purchase ones that have the artist obviously branded on it. For example - Slash Les Pauls. I’ve liked a couple, but I don’t want him on the headstock, etc., because people will assume I’m a big Slash fan and expect me to play a bunch of songs or riffs, and while I love listening to G ‘n R, I haven’t learned to play any of the songs…

Plenty of other guitar options for me, so i just tend to not go there.

I would go with something like Paul Gilbert‘s Fireman because I love the look/style of that guitar, and no one would really know it’s a Gilbert Sig. Unfortunately, I don’t care for the fat neck.

Another thing about signature guitars is for me they need to be identical to the one the artist uses. No cheap s**t look alike cash in and the specs should change if the artist changes their own one . One of the best for actually doing this and staying totally faithful to the artist’s is the Fender YJM strat.
The worst of the worst is between the N1 and the jem jr for me.
I love my Jem Jr, but I wouldn't even call it a signature guitar. It's just a fun low-end RG with some nice cosmetic touches. Exactly what I bargained for.

I forgot that I had (borrowed) an N4 for a few years. And I still have an Epi Joe Pass on the wall. And an Allan Holdsworth Kiesel at my desk. OK, I guess I suck at not playing signature guitars LOL.

Last edited:
I have a Misha Mansoor Jackson So-Cal but you wouldn't known it's a sig model. I also have a Schecter KM-7 MKIII. I got them because I liked the specs. I wouldn't get a Frankenstrat, though, as that's just going too far.

After seeing some real-world pics of the Adam Jones Epiphone sig, there’s a GOOD chance I’m going to end up with one.

This guy does a comparison to a Norlin-era LPC and really had nothing bad to say about it, all the specs of a Norlin era are there, mahogany body, maple cap, maple neck, ebony board, long neck tenon, etc. Seems the only real difference is the volute size and location.

They’re releasing 7 different runs with different artwork, with the last one not having any artwork. My current plan is to snag one in February and if I don’t dig the artwork I’ll just trade it for one of the no-artwork ones down the road, or just keep it and see if it hits the prices the Brent Hinds Epiphones are up to (which is f*cking lunacy)

@la szum check out some of the pics on there, the burst looks a bit more gradual than what we’re seeing in the promo shots. Gives me a little hope! $1200 is definitely the lowest price I’m going to snag a Silverburst for, if it’s 10% off from a legit one, I think I can live with it.

Those Epi Signature guitars always seem to go up in value, too. The Lifeson Axcess, the Cantrell Wino,
the Heafy sigs, the dozen or Bonamassa sigs. I think they are super good decisions, because, like you
mention, you can always trade it out and not lose a cent on the purchase. How often can you say that
on a "new" guitar?

No.

Everyone is fawning over the Adam Jones signature stuff, and maybe it is coz I'm a lefty, but fuck that. Even though I'm the biggest Tool fan (I love dicks lol) I wouldn't drop that sort of coin on a copy of one of my guitar heroes guitars.

I'd much rather get a cheap 80's or 90's lawsuit Les Paul, stick some Seymour Duncan's in it, and call it a day. Cheaper, and more unique to my vibe.

Does my white Strat count as a Hendrix sig?

The only sig I've had was a Dean Michael Schenker Standard V I bought after selling off my drums, paying off my car, and deciding on it for some casual guitar playing, not because I'm a fan or anything, I dug the look and the feel. It had MS STD on the headstock so it's name became Ms. STD. That guitar ended up seeing some touring.

Kotzen Tele feels so good. I'd bash.

No.

Everyone is fawning over the Adam Jones signature stuff, and maybe it is coz I'm a lefty, but f**k that. Even though I'm the biggest Tool fan (I love dicks lol) I wouldn't drop that sort of coin on a copy of one of my guitar heroes guitars.

I'd much rather get a cheap 80's or 90's lawsuit Les Paul, stick some Seymour Duncan's in it, and call it a day. Cheaper, and more unique to my vibe.

I don’t even care about the Adam Jones aspect, my lust for the aged Silverburst color runs quite deep and Orville, Burney, Greco, Ibanez, etc, don’t make no Silverbursts. The Norlin-era Silverbursts are my favorite LP’s, hands down. Now if I could get one of those above refinished by someone who could pull off the aged finish….hmmm…

Back