Dingbat w/ PX-8+ pedalboard build in progress

gearJunkie

Shredder
I definitely don't need this, but, you know, gear. :facepalm

1000000910.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for some patch & power cables to arrive from Amazon, but I wanted to use the wait time to experiment with the PX-8 Plus loop switcher.

The user manual overview clearly states that the device can send MIDI commands to external devices when selecting a stored preset.
Screenshot_20231104-001458~2.png

Unfortunately the manual neglects to provide instructions for configuring or utilizing this "feature".

I've sent an email to their customer support asking for guidance. Let's see how long it takes for them to get back to me. :facepalm

Did you see this manual?

It says this:

View attachment 13212

Not sure, but sounds like it sends a PC for the preset you select... That's a midi command, just not a programmable one.
Yes, I read that statement. The manual in the link you shared is actually older (rev 0.9 5/2017) than the one I have (rev 1.0 10/2019), but the portion you highlighted is the same in both.

Even if that's the case (which it most likely is) there is still quite a bit of detail missing. Since it can only select one of 36 presets using the onboard switches, does it send PCM 0 through 35 or 1 - 36, and on what MIDI channel? If it is the same channel as which the switcher is configured to respond, this "feature ' seems to be of minimal usefulness IMO.

My plan has always been to use my HX Stomp XL to control everything, but having some sort of stand-alone MIDI controller capability would be useful. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I appreciate you talking the time research my issue and share your findings.

:beer

I’ve got one of those boards, it was a special order at my local mom & pop that the buyer chumped out on. The owner sold it to me at his cost. I use the loops, but haven’t messed with the MIDI stuff.

I’ve got one of those boards, it was a special order at my local mom & pop that the buyer chumped out on. The owner sold it to me at his cost. I use the loops, but haven’t messed with the MIDI stuff.
My plan is to use it in "loop strip" mode. The eight on-board switches toggle the corresponding loop into the signal chain.

Using an external MIDI controller (stomp xl) it will respond to program change messages to select up to 128 preset loop combinations. I can then use the on board switches to modify the preset in real time.

Lots of planning and effort to get there, but the journey should be a blast.

Ben, from Voodoo Lab responded to my information request with the following:

No special configuration is required, only to use the PX-8 Plus in the "Preset Method of Use" and as such MIDI is automatically sent.

The MIDI (OUT) transmitted from PX-8 Plus is quite simple... when a PX-8 Plus preset (1-36) is selected, the corresponding MIDI Program Change number (1-36) is sent, as follows:

Bank1, preset A sends: MIDI Program Change 1
Bank1, preset B sends: MIDI Program Change 2
Bank1, preset C sends: MIDI Program Change 3
Bank1, preset D sends: MIDI Program Change 4

Bank2, preset A sends: MIDI Program Change 5
Bank2, preset B sends: MIDI Program Change 6
Bank2, preset C sends: MIDI Program Change 7
Bank2, preset D sends: MIDI Program Change 8

etc...

Bank9, preset A sends: MIDI Program Change 33
Bank9, preset B sends: MIDI Program Change 34
Bank9, preset C sends: MIDI Program Change 35
Bank9, preset D sends: MIDI Program Change 36

As such, when creating PX-8 Plus presets that also control MIDI devices, you will need to edit the corresponding patches (1-36) on those MIDI devices themselves to be appropriate for whatever is the desired sound (for the specific PX-8 Plus preset being created).
Hats off to Voodoo Lab customer support for a prompt, friendly, and informative response.

Ben answered some follow-up questions regarding MIDI channel and passthrough. Sharing here for posterity.

The MIDI channel is the same for both transmitting and receiving and CH01 is the default.

Correct, MIDI Program Change (PC) messages are generated on in "Preset Method of Use" but can pass through (MIDI IN to MIDI OUT) in either mode.

First attempt at experimenting with the physical layout. Have a DCX boost arriving tomorrow, so final layout and determining which ODs and boosts make the cut will have to wait until tomorrow.

1000000932.jpg

Will probably drop the Polytune since I can use the tuner in the hx stomp.

I plan on using one H9 in pre/post mode with pre side at the start of the chain for pitch shifting, compression, fuzz, etc. and the post side will sit after all boosts/ODs and before the input to the stomp for modulation effects.

Stomp in 4CM sending stereo out to the Halo and then the second H9 to the return(s) of one or more amps.

Still need to figure out which pedals will be looped through the PX-8+. Too much to worry about now.

Stay tuned :beer

Thank you FuzzyAce.

I think I'm going to pull the RC Boost and replace it with the DCX Boost. Too many ODs and I'm not getting a bigger board.

Will probably pull the expression pedal to make room for the Magma57. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah I suppose you could bear losing 1 or 2 of the ODs. You could just have the expression pedal on the side of the board? I have 2 of the big moog ones and they take up too much pedalboard space, so I would normally have them detached.

Yeah I suppose you could bear losing 1 or 2 of the ODs. You could just have the expression pedal on the side of the board? I have 2 of the big moog ones and they take up too much pedalboard space, so I would normally have them detached.
Great suggestions. I actually "borrowed" the mini expression pedal from a tiny board I use next to the Fractal FC-12.

It (usually) has two of the Dunlop X mini pedals and a box with 4 momentary switches I have mapped to various amp block modifiers (e.g. boost, bright cap, fat, & bass cut).

Maybe I will use the tiny board to augment the main board. I like that idea because I can angle the expression board for max comfort.

Great suggestions. I actually "borrowed" the mini expression pedal from a tiny board I use next to the Fractal FC-12.

It (usually) has two of the Dunlop X mini pedals and a box with 4 momentary switches I have mapped to various amp block modifiers (e.g. boost, bright cap, fat, & bass cut).

Maybe I will use the tiny board to augment the main board. I like that idea because I can angle the expression board for max comfort.
Sounds like you have good plan. One reason I got two of the PX-8+ boards was to accommodate for the big pedals I have and love. Another reason was to have more than 8 loops and be able to recall. This was around 2020 and band stuff didn't happen so I've been keeping it simpler these days. I'd still like to do a multi-board setup though, just takes some planning.

Back