New amp day bummer

I just got a used 50 watt Metropoulos in the mail today and something is definitely not right with it. It doesn't start breaking up until around 8, and then it sounds like a kazoo. It feels like every note is choked off. It was sold as a 12,000 series, but I'm skeptical that's what it is as there's no 3-way switch or pull knob. I've got an email into George to ask if he can identify it for me by the serial. I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it back. I know some of you guys build amps - any clue about might what be wrong? I'm hoping it's something simple.

The store I bought it from (online) says I can either ship it back or take it to someone local for repairs, so I'm going to put some feelers out and see if I can get someone to take a look at it.

Do you have spare tubes?
Replace the preamp tubes one at a time, test each time.
Next replace both power tubes, biasing doesn't matter for a quick test.
That's about all you can do without opening the amp.

The cause can be many things, I don't think guessing will be of any help, a tech has to open the amp and check literally everything.

Do you have spare tubes?
Replace the preamp tubes one at a time, test each time.
Next replace both power tubes, biasing doesn't matter for a quick test.
That's about all you can do without opening the amp.

The cause can be many things, I don't think guessing will be of any help, a tech has to open the amp and check literally everything.

Yeah, I swapped out the preamp tubes and it didn't make a difference. I don't have any spare EL34s, unfortunately. I figured it was destined for the bench, but I figured it was worth asking on the off chance there was something I hadn't thought of.

The Metro is fixed! There was a bad solder joint in the phase inverter which caused the push-pull between the power tubes to be "way asymmetrical", in the words of my tech. There was a short in one of the power tubes as well. Sounds like a proper plexi now.

I sent an email to George Metropoulos to find out what the deal was on the amp, and he said this was the last 50 watt replica he built.

Back