Dingbat w/ PX-8+ pedalboard build in progress

The Magma57 arrived today and sounds absolutely :chef...

but it's freak'n HUGE! (insert that's what she said jokes here)
PXL_20231114_002015253~3.jpg

I need to do a little layout rework for it to fit. (insert more that's what she said jokes here)

Pedal playground mockup.
pedalz_galore2.JPG

(Currently) Hx Stomp XL & top row are slated for a separate independent board.

Plan to use board in 4CM.

What should stay? What should go? What should be swapped in or out?

Help me figure this out, please.

Last edited:
Waiting on a Wetter Box to arrive before final build, but this is how I have the pedals attached to the board(s).

1000000987.jpg

Up top is a nano board with Exp1 (wet mix),exp2 (H9¹), mini cry baby, and an amp f/s (Badlander or Fillmore). When used with the 410H or Mark VII I'll use MIDI to control the amp.

Signal chain: guitar > wah > tuner (buffer) > gate (guitar in) > gate (loop send) > (H9¹-left) > switcher (in) > loop 1 ( Timmy) > loop 2 (cali76) > loop 3 (Halcyon) > loop 4 (revival drive) > loop 5 (magma57) > loop 6 (dcx boost) > switcher insert (H9¹-right) > loop 7 (empty) > loop 8 (amplifier preamp) > switcher out > gate return > (wetter box + H9² + halo + bluesky) > amp return (left) + isolator.> power station (right).

The H9s and bluesky are controlled via MIDI PCM sent from the switcher. Two button foot switch below wetter box is used to control H9² looper.

I know I probably missed something, but at least I have a game plan for wiring it up tomorrow.

:sleep:

Last edited:
Back in the day I had two Voodoo Labs 'Pedal Switcher' units, along with the 'Commander' strip.

To this day, I still think it was one of the best boards I ever have.
1702027439162.png

I have a real soft spot for Voodoo Labs switchers, even though they're probably out-featured by a lot of the competition... they just seem to "get it right" and I like that their stuff isn't complicated at all.

That PX-8+ looks sick!

With a rested mind this morning, I reviewed my routing plan and think I will leave the pedals in their current layout, but I will run the Halo in loop 8 in mono instead of in stereo through the Wetter Box. Then I can capture the Halo.output into the H9² looper.

That just makes more sense to me since I'll most likely only run in mono when playing live, reserving stereo for my home studio. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I need to add a MIDI splitter because the BlueSky does not have MIDI thru/out. Waiting to hear back from Voodoo Lab support to find out if the PX-8 sends power via its MIDI out.

Thinking about WIDI (Bluetooth), but then I need 5v USB-C from the Pedal Power 3. Thinking I can use something like this:

Screenshot_20231208-122311_1.png

Anyone else encounter this issue?

The converter pictured above doesn't work. I suspect that the input power from the Pedal Power 3 (9v @ 500 mA) is not sufficient since the converter is geared toward use with a car's high current battery output.

Decided to try a DIY approach using a simple circuit comprised of a single 7805 voltage regulator IC. Positive 9v out from PP3 to pin 1, ground from PP3 and ground from output connector to pin 2, and pin 3 is the positive 5v output. Parts don't get here until Monday, so back to playing guitar.

The converter pictured above doesn't work. I suspect that the input power from the Pedal Power 3 (9v @ 500 mA) is not sufficient since the converter is geared toward use with a car's high current battery output.

Decided to try a DIY approach using a simple circuit comprised of a single 7805 voltage regulator IC. Positive 9v out from PP3 to pin 1, ground from PP3 and ground from output connector to pin 2, and pin 3 is the positive 5v output. Parts don't get here until Monday, so back to playing guitar.
According to this version of the manual, it does:

CONNECTIONS
Power
PX8 requires 9VDC at 100mA to a standard 5.5x2.1mm center negative barrel connector. Since this is the same power requirement as most pedal effects, you can use any 9VDC output from a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. Alternatively, most 9V power supplies intended for battery operated pedals are acceptable.
If you are using a Voodoo Lab foot controller, such as Ground Control Pro or Commander, it can be phantom powered from PX8. Phantom power is provided over pins 1 and 3 of PX8’s MIDI IN. Make sure to use a MIDI cable with all 5 pins wired. These are often labeled “5-pin active.”
Important: When using phantom power, you must provide enough current to operate both PX8 (100mA) and your foot controller. For example, if your foot controller needs 500mA, then your power supply must be capable of providing at least 600mA (500+100) to operate both.

I appreciate the info, but phantom power is provided via MIDI in and the splitter needs to split the MIDI out since the PX8+ is the controller sending the PCMs.

I think I may try one of the portable USB battery packs. I can velcro it under the board and probably only need to recharge it twice a year since the splitter / WIDI device only consumes 37 mW (7.4 mA @ 5v). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:beer

It's alive!

PXL_20231211_011614256.MP.jpg

I still need to sort out the MIDI connections and finalize the power & audio layout under the board. Also waiting on connectors for making a custom loop pigtail cable for the Decimator gate.

The Wetter Box and Humdinger arrive on Tuesday, so final layout and making custom cables will have to wait until then.

Received a package from GB a day earlier than expected.

PXL_20231211_190553753.NIGHT~2.jpg

I should be able to finalize my wiring layout tonight, and then start soldering custom "to length" cables rest of the week for a tidy look and minimal capacitance signal path.

After playing through the board for several hours I've decided to make some signal chain adjustments to better utilize the PX-8+ switcher and improve gain staging into the front of the amp.

I'll share a detailed description and/or diagram after I'm done with my current proof of concept experiments.

Picked up an HX One for an almost too good to be true price and I have been experimenting with changes to my board layout and signal path.

Going to run the HX One at the start of the chain after dropping the Polytune mini. Then I'm going to drop one of the H9s and add a Ditto+ looper at the end of the signal path.

Truly loving the HX One up front!

New mockup with chroma console added and swapping the Halcyon Green for the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe.

pedalboard-021523.PNG

I'll let this simmer for a while before I try to implement the changes.

Plan on setting up for typical mono usage, and wet/dry when adding a second amp.

Back