DiMarzio Pickups - Which ones are YOUR favourites?

kartikg3

Roadie
Most of my Guitar Heroes use DiMarzios, so I've always fantasized myself playing through them, but there are so many options and so little time! So I turn to my TGF friends: Which are YOUR favourite DiMarzio pickups? What's on your wishlist? WHat do you like about your particular favs? Describe!

DP287FSGBK[1].png

Ya know, I used to say Dimarzio’s were my favorites and I hated EMG’s, but now I’ve got one guitar with Dimarzios, 4 with EMG’s and a bunch of Duncans.

I need to revisit the PAF Pro, that was always my favorite Dimarzio. Curious if I’d dig it as much now for the same reasons I did back in the day.

I've only ever had a Super Distortion, which I put in my BC Rich super strat, back in the day. Always been curious about the 36ths. Also love the double creme look on LPs and will likely try something DiMarzio for that reason alone. :love

Mainly due to availability and/or already being in a guitar I've bought, my pickup experience has mostly been with Bare Knuckle, Lollar, and Seymour (all of which were great).

I’m a bigger fan of their “single coils” than humbuckers.

I love all of these:

FS-1
True Velvet
Area 58/61/68
Area T
Area T 615
HS-3
HS-4
HS-2

Their humbuckers are a mixed bag for me. I hate the Tone Zone, I hate the Air Norton in the neck (but it’s ok in the bridge).

I do really want to try the Super Distortion and PAF Pro in my LP…

I really like every Dimarzio I've ever tried.
My personal favorites are:
Cruiser
Steve's Special
Super Distortion HB and single rail version
PAF Pro
Fred
Area 58
Area T's

I’m a bigger fan of their “single coils” than humbuckers.

I love all of these:

FS-1
True Velvet
Area 58/61/68
Area T
Area T 615
HS-3
HS-4
HS-2

Their humbuckers are a mixed bag for me. I hate the Tone Zone, I hate the Air Norton in the neck (but it’s ok in the bridge).

I do really want to try the Super Distortion and PAF Pro in my LP…

I have, use and love:
Super Distortion
PAF Pro
Air Norton
Steve's Special
Dreamcatcher
FS-1
HS-3
Air Norton S
Pro Track.

What in your experiences have been the unique "feels" and aural qualities of each of these?

What in your experiences have been the unique "feels" and aural qualities of each of these?
Hmmm. I'll try to keep the descriptions brief and generalized because there are subtle differences in other guitars with the same pickups. I have multiples of a number of these.

Cruiser (N) = clear, balanced, tight with heavier gain
Steve's Special (B) = Fat bottom, slightly scooped with a tight top end. Clear with higher gain. My favorite bridge pickup.
Super Distortion (B) = Strong low end and solid mids, not too bright.
Super Distortion S (B) = Same as above
PAF Pro (N,B) = lean and tight bottom, clear and punchy upper mids that cuts without harshness. Excellent pickup.
Fred (B) = slightly hotter with more pronounced mids than a PAF Pro
Area 58 (N,M) = Clear and punchy, good balance and not overly bright.
Area T's = neck is tight and punchy, balanced. Bridge (HOT T) is well balanced with right amount of sizzle and bottom end

Some more I have and love --

PG13 mini HB (N,B) = smooth and buttery midrange and clear top end
Injector (N) = I have this paired with a Heavy Blues 2 middle and FRED bridge in a strat. I've only used it for a month but I really like the punch and clarity.
AT-1 (B) = It's kinda similar to a Super Distortion, but with Alnico 5 mags. Fat bottom with more sizzle in the upper mids I think.
EJ Custom (N) = Clear and balanced. Does well with cleans and heavy gain.
Humbucker From Hell (N) = tight and punchy with a great treble attack. Pairs well with Steve's Special imo. I have my '77 Ibanez Artist set up this way. Love it.

I've used the Chopper and Fast Track 1 too but don't have them anymore. Also great pickups.

Hmmm. I'll try to keep the descriptions brief and generalized because there are subtle differences in other guitars with the same pickups. I have multiples of a number of these.

Cruiser (N) = clear, balanced, tight with heavier gain
Steve's Special (B) = Fat bottom, slightly scooped with a tight top end. Clear with higher gain. My favorite bridge pickup.
Super Distortion (B) = Strong low end and solid mids, not too bright.
Super Distortion S (B) = Same as above
PAF Pro (N,B) = lean and tight bottom, clear and punchy upper mids that cuts without harshness. Excellent pickup.
Fred (B) = slightly hotter with more pronounced mids than a PAF Pro
Area 58 (N,M) = Clear and punchy, good balance and not overly bright.
Area T's = neck is tight and punchy, balanced. Bridge (HOT T) is well balanced with right amount of sizzle and bottom end

Some more I have and love --

PG13 mini HB (N,B) = smooth and buttery midrange and clear top end
Injector (N) = I have this paired with a Heavy Blues 2 middle and FRED bridge in a strat. I've only used it for a month but I really like the punch and clarity.
AT-1 (B) = It's kinda similar to a Super Distortion, but with Alnico 5 mags. Fat bottom with more sizzle in the upper mids I think.
EJ Custom (N) = Clear and balanced. Does well with cleans and heavy gain.
Humbucker From Hell (N) = tight and punchy with a great treble attack. Pairs well with Steve's Special imo. I have my '77 Ibanez Artist set up this way. Love it.

I've used the Chopper and Fast Track 1 too but don't have them anymore. Also great pickups.
This is amazingly helpful, thanks brother!

36th anniversary are great PAF pickups -- really close to Duncan Antiquity, but a tad less bright who suits a lot of guitars really well, in my experience.

Gravity Storm neck pickup was great in an Ibanez S guitar. Pretty big and fairly high output but quite open compared to other big, higher output pickups.

I had a schecter NJ strat which I put a Chopper in the bridge which I loved - and cruiser (neck) in the neck which was very good at doing strat sounds and a crusier(neck) in the middle which was ok but I'm not a massive fan of middle pickups anyway.

Just recently installed a PAF Pro in a MM Axis Sport (the guitar seems darker sounding compared to my other guitars) and it seems to work well - very tight bottom end and not thin sounding.

I'm looking for a Dimarzio set for my Suhr Curly Modern which is basswood body and maple top and is quite a bright guitar. I didn't like the SSH+ in it (congested mids), it has had BKP VHII but they were too bright and it currently has a Suhr Thornbuckers in it which has cured the brightness but could be more defined in the low end and a bit more mid range push.

Not sure what to go for as so many choices - I'm leaning towards the Dark Matter 2 /Gravity Storm

Not sure what to go for as so many choices - I'm leaning towards the Dark Matter 2 /Gravity Storm
I haven't used those 2 (yet :grin), but based off the ones I have -- the Super Distortion or AT-1 work well to fatten up brighter guitars. That's exactly the reason I went with those in particular guitars.

Paf 36th bridge is a great all arounder

Paf 36th neck is great in brighter or balanced guitars

Paf master neck is a nice lower wind alternative in darker guitars

Area T set is killer for all around usage and no noise

Area 58, 67, 61 can be good in the right guitars if you need noiseless

Back