DiMarzio Pickups - Which ones are YOUR favourites?

I have been OBSESSING over Andy Timmon's tones
His neck pickup sound is the sweetest neck pickup sound I have ever heard! Apparently he uses the Cruiser Bridge (DP187 I believe?) for his neck, and I am obsessed with that sound. It's the top on my wishlist. My Godin SD22 neck is a single coil, and I love the single coil sound it has. The Cruiser seems to also hold that so gle coil character while giving it more power, from what I hear in the videos.

I've just heard some extracts on Thomanns website the AT-1 does seem quite promising - bright but not shrill and seems quite focused
Yeah, it has enough top end without being harsh and I wouldn't consider it a brighter pickup at all, but it does have that focused midrange and low grunt thing going.

I have been OBSESSING over Andy Timmon's tones
His neck pickup sound is the sweetest neck pickup sound I have ever heard! Apparently he uses the Cruiser Bridge (DP187 I believe?) for his neck, and I am obsessed with that sound. It's the top on my wishlist. My Godin SD22 neck is a single coil, and I love the single coil sound it has. The Cruiser seems to also hold that so gle coil character while giving it more power, from what I hear in the videos.
It's the Cruiser neck now. I'm pretty sure he's changed it in his #1 from an interview I saw. The Cruiser neck is my favorite pickup, period. If I could only have one, it'd be it. I highly recommend it.

It's the Cruiser neck now. I'm pretty sure he's changed it in his #1 from an interview I saw. The Cruiser neck is my favorite pickup, period. If I could only have one, it'd be it. I highly recommend it.
*Do you have a link to that interview by any chance?

Last edited:
No, I'll have to take look. But I do remember it being brought up and talked about.
Sorry I meant to ask "*Do* you have a link", not "*So* you have a link" haha that may have sounded passive aggressive and snarky. Sorry!

Sorry I meant to ask "*Do* you have a link", not "*So* you have a link" haha that may have sounded passive aggressive and snarky. Sorry!
No worries, I didn't take it that way at all! But I am looking through some vids -- man his touch is so, so good.

My Godin is an HSS. I have no interest in changing my middle pickup, since all I ever use it are in the 2 and 4 positions for that out of phase Knopfler/Vai-clean/SRV clean type tones. I am pretty happy with the neck pups, but I am GASsing badly for those Cruisers after hearing AT! I have never been very happy with the stock bridge humbucker on my Godin SD22. So that one definitely needs an upgrade. Just judging from tones I love, I am leaning towards Watch sounds (Mo Joe? His PAF?) Or perhaps the AT-1 bridge just to have an even pair? I am not sure.

I am.after those dynamics+Harmonic overtones when I dig into the single note stuff...

My Godin is an HSS. I have no interest in changing my middle pickup, since all I ever use it are in the 2 and 4 positions for that out of phase Knopfler/Vai-clean/SRV clean type tones. I am pretty happy with the neck pups, but I am GASsing badly for those Cruisers after hearing AT! I have never been very happy with the stock bridge humbucker on my Godin SD22. So that one definitely needs an upgrade. Just judging from tones I love, I am leaning towards Watch sounds (Mo Joe? His PAF?) Or perhaps the AT-1 bridge just to have an even pair? I am not sure.

I am.after those dynamics+Harmonic overtones when I dig into the single note stuff...
Well, I think I told you in another thread I have (had, it's my nephew's now) a SD24, similar to yours. Big difference is the neck extension which puts the neck pickup back more, making it slightly brighter sounding. Fwiw, I modded it to have a Cruiser neck with the AT-1 Bridge. I removed the middle pickup and covered up the hole there. I ended up making a new pickguard for it out of wood. The pickup combo really sounded great. Funny you don't like the stock humbucker in the Godin though. Mine would have been the same but I actually do like it so I put it in another guitar. It has a nice classic PAF sound I think. The AT-1 is stronger and darker, with more push which could be a good thing for you? Hard to say til you try one. It works well in bright guitars imo. I've never tried the Mo Joe. Unfortunately with pickups, no matter what I or others say, you never quite know til you have them in your guitar and played through your rig.

Well, I think I told you in another thread I have (had, it's my nephew's now) a SD24, similar to yours. Big difference is the neck extension which puts the neck pickup back more, making it slightly brighter sounding. Fwiw, I modded it to have a Cruiser neck with the AT-1 Bridge. I removed the middle pickup and covered up the hole there. I ended up making a new pickguard for it out of wood. The pickup combo really sounded great. Funny you don't like the stock humbucker in the Godin though. Mine would have been the same but I actually do like it so I put it in another guitar. It has a nice classic PAF sound I think. The AT-1 is stronger and darker, with more push which could be a good thing for you? Hard to say til you try one. It works well in bright guitars imo. I've never tried the Mo Joe. Unfortunately with pickups, no matter what I or others say, you never quite know til you have them in your guitar and played through your rig.
Thanks, yes that makes sense!

Recorded a clip, grabbing a few guitars with some of my DiMarzios: 2203 model in the Axe
View attachment 18098
Tweaks to base model: Depth at 6.04, negative feedback at 4.53

1: Super Distortion. (MIM Strat) The pickup is from the 80's.
2: Steve's Special (Ibanez JPM100)
3: Dreamcatcher (Ibanez MSM1)
4: FS-1 (MJT/Allparts partso)
5: HS-3 (In Eb, it's an Yngwie strat , required to be in Eb by law)

Samply link, best audio : DiMarzio-pickups.aif

Vocaroo:

Loved the SD and Dreamcatcher!

Loved the SD and Dreamcatcher!
Also, during my rabbit hole YT dive, found this! You I am pretty sure @Blix ?

That is just some creamy chewy tone, and amazing playing! The best review of the dreamcatcher pickup IMO. I am leaning heavily towards this pickup for my Godin SD22 bridge now.

Also, during my rabbit hole YT dive, found this! You I am pretty sure @Blix ?

That is just some creamy chewy tone, and amazing playing! The best review of the dreamcatcher pickup IMO. I am leaning heavily towards this pickup for my Godin SD22 bridge now.

Thank you, and yep it's me. :). Banjomikez on eBay had the Dreamcatcher for sale even before it was listed on DiMarzio's website so I got one early :)

Back