Dill pickles or sweet pickles?

Which is the superior pickle?

• Total voters
A buddy of mine used to sit on his porch, drinking beer, while taking out raccoons who were trying to get to his chickens. Excellent target practice.

We have very large ‘yotes here … there is a den not far down that fence line off on the corner. There’s a reason we let the dogs out in pairs.

Pulling out any rifle would be a felony here (city limits). Although I have a bunch of air guns that will work on small critters.

But no outdoor cats, so we have loads of birds like you cannot believe. Eagles, hawks, herons, gulls, hummers, crows, jays, finch, partridges, etc.

Nature’s a trip!

Last edited:
We have very large ‘yotes here … there is a den not far down that fence line off on the corner. There’s a reason we let the dogs out in pairs.

Pulling out any rifle would be a felony. Although I have a bunch of air guns that will work on small critters.

But no outdoor cats, so we have loads of birds like you cannot believe. Eagles, hawks, herons, gulls, hummers, crows, jays, finch, partridges, etc.

Nature’s a trip!
Lots of coyotes here too. Trimming down their population is encouraged here. I maybe several friend who’ve lost their pups to them. They are 100% ruthless.

Lots of coyotes here too. Trimming down their population is encouraged here. I maybe several friend who’ve lost their pups to them. They are 100% ruthless.
Rabid too

I could go grab suppressed .22lr right now, and no one would ever know.

Got no prejudice against taking a coyote to save livestock … I lived in Colorado for a real long time where they are a fucking nuisance for sure.

But I live in the city, in a nice neighborhood and even though I’m in the middle of a forest, no rounds through the hood. ;)

Just got a rugged chicken coop and Los guardianes

Last edited:
So, I love the occasional pickled red onions on my Mexican and Indian food. I typically just do a 1:1 ratio of vinegar to water with about 3 tbs of kosher salt to keep it simple and let the other ingredients of the dish shine through.

Any of you do your own pickling? What are your favorite herbs and spices to pickle with?

I always have Pickled Red Onions in the Fridge. :chefBeen known to reuse the brine, too.

I toss in a little Sugar to add a hint of sweetness. 1:1. 1/2 cup Vinegar and 1/2 cup of Water.

I have tried some funky blends. Sesame Oil, Soy, Peppercorns, Bay Leaves, Coriander. :idk

I realized I like just the basics and that acidity from the vinegar makes it the best option and the most
versatile.

I do like the Daikon and Carrot together for use with Sandwiches (great on Brisket!). Have some in the
Fridge right now. Also, English Cucumbers sliced thin. Tasty!

I have tried some funky blends. Sesame Oil, Soy, Peppercorns, Bay Leaves, Coriander. :idk
Interesting. Yeah, I’m more of a less-is-more when it comes to condiments. Coriander might work well with Indian. I’m going to experiment a little.

Mmmmm.... Vinegar Soda! :LOL:

My friend was homebrewing a bunch a decade or so ago. It was well before I got into
pickling here at home, and he was on fire for the process like a newly converted fanatic.

Just seeing those gallon jugs of brownish liquid with a bit of solids in it sitting in his entryway
when I would go to visit was enough to get me to an hard, "NO!"

It's just an odd mouthfeel---sour bubbles. :idk

It's like Pop Rocks for the New Age crowd. :oops:

:ROFLMAO:

Yep. Been drinking it for years on and off. Never quite sure I can believe some of the health benefit claims surrounding it, but I enjoy it all the same; with just a little bit of hope at the back of my mind that it miiight be doing me some good.
I find that the occasional bottle “resets” my gut. I eat yogurt every day, which of course contains similar “good” bacteria. I look at Kombucha as more of a “good bacteria” bomb.

I love this strawberry sage stuff, mmmmm hmmm!

Screenshot_20230822-165646~2.png

Back