Dill pickles or sweet pickles?

Which is the superior pickle?

• Total voters
Dill only

and pickles only a la cart. They do not belong on burgers or sandwhiches or anything else

no slices either. I want the pickle entering my mouth as an intact cylinder, I want my teeth to feel the tensile strength of the skin as I bite into it, and moreover, more flavor from skin on my tongue then the inner flesh

I bought some stuff to make some this weekend.

DYI Kimchi can be amazing. I should actually do some somewhen during the next weeks, it's been a while since my last homemade run (in fact: years...), the rest of the family just doesn't like it (what kinda ignorant barbarians did I marry and breed?). I really like it that you can put literally everything in and that you have more or less free choice regarding the amount of fermentation.

DYI Kimchi can be amazing. I should actually do some somewhen during the next weeks, it's been a while since my last homemade run (in fact: years...), the rest of the family just doesn't like it (what kinda ignorant barbarians did I marry and breed?). I really like it that you can put literally everything in and that you have more or less free choice regarding the amount of fermentation.
My gf makes kimchi every once in a while with the recipe she found I think from this video:

It has turned out super tasty. The problem is having the patience to wait for it to really get tasty before eating!

My gf makes kimchi every once in a while with the recipe she found I think from this video:

Some good stuff in there as it seems.
Got a traditional receipe somewhere, too, straight from the owner of a korean restaurant.
In fact, it's not that tough to make Kimchi, but ideally you need a decent asia grocery store to get the good stuff. Works with pretty much anything else, though, as long as you get the fermentation started properly.

This is the one I have been using. I tried a "quick" Kimchi, without a ferment and I like the
traditional period of fermenting for 3 to 7 days better. Temp seems to play a role, too. Higher
temp = faster ferment and lower temp = a longer, slower fermentation. I have even seen some
recommend fermenting in a refrigerator rather than at house/room temp.

I have even seen some
recommend fermenting in a refrigerator rather than at house/room temp.

From what I remember, the last time I made Kimchi myself, I started with 1-2 days at room temperature and then moved it to the fridge. In fact, unless you somehow completely seal the glass, the fermentation process never stops anyway, so all you do is slowing it down when moving it to the fridge.

From what I remember, the last time I made Kimchi myself, I started with 1-2 days at room temperature and then moved it to the fridge. In fact, unless you somehow completely seal the glass, the fermentation process never stops anyway, so all you do is slowing it down when moving it to the fridge.

Same. Have to burp it when it is super active at room temp. I'll probably do room temp over the weekend
and then bottle and refrigerate it after.

Thanks for the chat! I really enjoy this. :beer

Just started a 6 hour saltwater bath for the Cabbage.

20230126_181058.jpg

I can get on board with kimchi

You know what really grinds my gears though? Fucking pickled jalapeños :cuss

It’s a travesty and a national crisis. If I’m at a restaurant I always have to clarify if the penos are pickled or fresh

I get it. I have a beef with all the vinegar that is used in Hot Sauces. WTF??
Don’t buy those kind. (I like some vinegar… have a few I like)

Seriously… try secret aardvark sauce.

I like their habanero sauce - a daily thing on my eggs.

And when I want hotter I go smoked Carolina Reaper sauce, mixed in with a little ketchup.

208C72A2-915C-45F0-80FB-FEF8D5A39ECC.jpeg

Thanks! It's almost impossible to find a decent hot sauce that is NOT vinegar based.

The El Yucateco brand is pretty stellar. No vinegar.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's almost impossible to find a decent hot sauce that is NOT vinegar based.

The El Yucateco brand is pretty stellar. No vinegar.
If you like it, you can get it for half price by buying it by the case/12 bottles at a time.

I have a stash

Back