Classic Combination: SG & 800 - what to play?

The new Epi stuff is IMO fantastic. I have a 2021 335 that I can’t find fault with.
I have a Epi 335 Custom Shop that needed action, some fret leveling and end dressing off the shelf, but I did it myself so it wasnt bad on the wallet. I did replace the stock pickups and wiring, but didn't really need to. A buddy gave me some classic 57's out of his Gibson LP so I couldnt resist. I also put 50's wiring in it while it was apart.

I have been meaning to pull it out of the case, because my new Strat has been getting all the love for the past 3-4 months.

I have a Epi 335 Custom Shop that needed action, some fret leveling and end dressing off the shelf, but I did it myself so it wasnt bad on the wallet. I did replace the stock pickups and wiring, but didn't really need to. A buddy gave me some classic 57's out of his Gibson LP so I couldnt resist. I also put 50's wiring in it while it was apart.

I have been meaning to pull it out of the case, because my new Strat has been getting all the love for the past 3-4 months.
Yeah fretwork is one of those things I expect to need to have done. The Gibson SG Standard I bought last year needed a fret level from the factory, and those are supposed to be PLEK’d.

Oddly, my MIJ guitars have been the only ones I’ve not needed to touch frets on from the factory.

My 335 has been rock solid. I lowered the nut height and polished the frets. It could probably use a round of fret cleanup but I just can’t complain at all for a sub $500 guitar…other than I’ve not really found a use for a 335.

Yeah fretwork is one of those things I expect to need to have done. The Gibson SG Standard I bought last year needed a fret level from the factory, and those are supposed to be PLEK’d.

Oddly, my MIJ guitars have been the only ones I’ve not needed to touch frets on from the factory.

My 335 has been rock solid. I lowered the nut height and polished the frets. It could probably use a round of fret cleanup but I just can’t complain at all for a sub $500 guitar…other than I’ve not really found a use for a 335.
I play some classic and older alternative rock, so my 335 is my LP goto with those 57's. I had a much older Epi LP at one time and it played great, but I was so uncomfortable playing it due to the balance and weight. I even thought about selling the 57's and replacing with Burstbusters since that may open up more/harder HB tones but the thought of pulling and changing electronics on a semi-HB again has steered me away. It really is the pain in the ass everyone says it is. I'm going to try to dial those harder tones better with the Stomp XL for now.

So this stuff is still living in my living room. I’ve been plugging into it a couple times a day to just noodle and experience what it’s doing.

I really love it.

With the stock bright cap doing its thing, it’s so aggressive and toneful. The SG brings the meat and the whole thing just balances into a very responsive, raw experience. There’s also this “swirl” going on that makes sustained chords feel so alive. Even at moderate home volume I catch it trying to drift into controlled feedback and I just can’t think of anything more I’d ask out of this circuit.

Predictably, I get a similar playing experience shoving a Les Paul through it. So good.

So this stuff is still living in my living room. I’ve been plugging into it a couple times a day to just noodle and experience what it’s doing.

I really love it.

With the stock bright cap doing its thing, it’s so aggressive and toneful. The SG brings the meat and the whole thing just balances into a very responsive, raw experience. There’s also this “swirl” going on that makes sustained chords feel so alive. Even at moderate home volume I catch it trying to drift into controlled feedback and I just can’t think of anything more I’d ask out of this circuit.

Predictably, I get a similar playing experience shoving a Les Paul through it. So good.
That's awesome! Glad you are getting some playing time in with that rig!!

BTW, after our discussion on the Epi 335, I pulled mine out of it's case and have been playing it a lot this week. By doing so, I just remember what I wanted to change on this 335 next, the stock tuners suck balls! They look good (Classic) with the green tint buttons but I hate them!!

I'll probably be changing them out very soon to some old Grovers I have in a box that came off an old Epi LP someone sold me that had a busted headstock I just wanted for parts. Maybe they will do a lot better.

Back