An idiot attempts to build a 2204

Merren or Heyboer (or if you can find a Classictone that’d be good). Hammond are absolutely fine too

That Hammond has a 3.2 not 3.4 primary, what if any impact would that have? I have no clue where any value drift would impact anything tonally in a meaningful sense.

Here is a Heyboer that’s 3.4k

That Hammond has a 3.2 not 3.4 primary, what if any impact would that have? I have no clue where any value drift would impact anything tonally in a meaningful sense.

Here is a Heyboer that’s 3.4k

I’ve played some clones that had hammond transformers and they sounded cool but haven’t compared side by side. Tbh Heyboer’s for that price are perfect (you guys are spoiled for choice for transformers).

Like for like, that difference in primary impedance is going to be a tiny tonal difference - it's kind of a bell curve, and maximum output, minimum 2nd order distortion and minimum 3rd order distortion each occur at different primary impedances too, so it's not even like there's one "ideal" value.

For context, some amps deliberately run at a full 2:1 mismatch for tonal reasons. When I had 8 and 16 ohm celestion alnicos sitting around I ran my AC30 1x12 with two valves pulled at a 2:1 mismatch for months and kinda preferred it.

@DrewJD82 I’m about to start a DIY Pedal Megathread. Can we get a DIY sub-forum?

I thought mega threads = bad?

Jimmy Fallon Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Alright, barring objections or something “better” I think I’m going to order these tonight for my OT and PT.

Heyboer APD-8025H. OT

Hammond 290GX PT

So I need three 12AX7’s and two EL34’s. Any reason to not just go JJ’s across the board? (JJ ECC83s/12AX7 + JJ EL34) Is there a “magic” combo, I’ve seen some rec Sovteks for the preamp but there are a million versions of those. :unsure:

I’m personally not a fan of JJ’s. Generally their short plate 12AX7 sounds a bit weak and flat to me. The long plate sounds quite good, but they’ll be more prone to noise/microphonics. Short plate can work ok in PI. Prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years so I tend to tolerate JJ’s more than I’d like - for whatever reason I’m finding them to go bad faster than other valves. You’ll want to go with Chinese or JJ (or NOS) for V2 as New Sensor valves aren’t ideal for cathode follower voltages. Tung Sol is decent in V1, or Reissue Mullard or Sovtek LPS. EH7025 is an excellent current production low noise 12ax7, really like those.

EH EL34’s are what Dan Gower and Dave Friedman have both recommended, Dan said they’re the closest he’s found to old RCA EL34’s. I’ve got them in a few amps and I dig them. Also had good experiences with Tung Sol and Sovtek EL34’s.

I’m personally not a fan of JJ’s. Generally their short plate 12AX7 sounds a bit weak and flat to me. The long plate sounds quite good, but they’ll be more prone to noise/microphonics. Short plate can work ok in PI. Prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years so I tend to tolerate JJ’s more than I’d like - for whatever reason I’m finding them to go bad faster than other valves. You’ll want to go with Chinese or JJ (or NOS) for V2 as New Sensor valves aren’t ideal for cathode follower voltages. Tung Sol is decent in V1, or Reissue Mullard or Sovtek LPS. EH7025 is an excellent current production low noise 12ax7, really like those.

EH EL34’s are what Dan Gower and Dave Friedman have both recommended, Dan said they’re the closest he’s found to old RCA EL34’s. I’ve got them in a few amps and I dig them. Also had good experiences with Tung Sol and Sovtek EL34’s.

So EH’s across the board for all stages (pre and power) could work out well?

Both transformers in the house.

IMG_4705.jpeg

Some gunk on the OT, not sure if that’s normal looking or not.

IMG_4706.jpeg

Tubes are ordered. (Thanks Mirror)

Slowly getting there in my prep.

I need to start looking at the parts lists for all the filters, caps, resistors etc.

But I can go even more basic:
  • What sort of wire should I get?
  • Is the wire all the same just different color based on whether it’s used neutral, ground, hot etc.
I’m also not sure if the wiring diagram that came with the PC gives me an indicator whether the pots will be PCB mounted or not.

I’d also be curious if this diagram is based on the vertical input vs horizontal input 2204’s. I’d assume so. The verticals I’ve heard in comparisons are wayyyyy better.

Back