Classic Combination: SG & 800 - what to play?

EOengineer

Roadie
After a bunch of colorful conversation about the 2203/2204 over in the modeling section, I dragged out my Ceriatone 2204 and SG Standard today.

08F35854-8446-418B-81CC-5B87558E8309.jpeg

The combination sounds so frickin’ glorious I had a hard time putting the guitar down. I think I’m going to leave it set up for a bit.

I think my only issue is I’m running a little low on songs featuring SG/800 tones. Would love some recommendations if anyone has any, all styles welcome!

@EOengineer What speaker is in the cab?

That Ceriatone is a real beauty!
Thanks! I’ve grown to really love the Ceriatone since taking delivery a half year ago.

The 3 way bright cap mod (from the factory) is just perfect for letting me dial in the right kerrang across my various Strats, Teles, LPs, etc. It has the buffered loop that can be bypassed too, which I’ve yet to use but eventually will. Highly recommend for anyone into 800s as it really nails it.

This cab is using an EVM12L right now. Up until I got the Ceriatone 2204 I was using this cab to gig my 1959 and needed that crazy power handling. As it turned out, the 12L sounds amazing with both amps so I’ve just rolled with it. I have a redback that I’ve been been meaning to throw in there to try but I like the 12L so much in the oversized sealed cab that I haven’t been bothered to mess with it.

An idea I’ve been kicking around lately. 2204s kick ass. Pretty much ALL the ass. Since mine is an imposter and has this wonderful fx loop built in, and I have a Tonex pedal laying around…maybe I should get some captures of my 2204 preamp from the fx send and turn this bad boy into a 2204 with nearly infinite channels. This would be especially useful because I could capture different bright cap settings to have specific channels set up for different guitars.

giphy.gif

I saw these guys kill it live in Tampa for
The Gasparilla Music Fest when the stage was located near Ybor.
Dude went straight in, we’ll, he did have the
trusty SD-1 in the floor for the fire in the hole moments.
Good dude’s.

Yeah I do! I have a pretty solid selection of drive, fuzz, and boosts that I was planning to shove through the front of this thing this week.

burn-watch.gif

I LOVE me some MIJ guitars. What was it?
It was a white Epi SG. I thought I bought it off Reverb but I was wrong. Might have grabbed it off the emporium elsewhere? Great guitar \m/

I've got a newish ('22 I think?) Epi SG that's really great for $499. G-string nut slot took a little work to get sorted, but nothing crazy. covers everything from jazz/blues, to swampy Americana and currently have it tuned to drop-D and is handling heavy riffage great, too! Pickups are surprisingly open with an ALMOST single-coil/mini-hum vibe to them.

I've got a newish ('22 I think?) Epi SG that's really great for $499. G-string nut slot took a little work to get sorted, but nothing crazy. covers everything from jazz/blues, to swampy Americana and currently have it tuned to drop-D and is handling heavy riffage great, too! Pickups are surprisingly open with an ALMOST single-coil/mini-hum vibe to them.
The new Epi stuff is IMO fantastic. I have a 2021 335 that I can’t find fault with.

The new Epi stuff is IMO fantastic. I have a 2021 335 that I can’t find fault with.
Mine isn't at all fault-free -- had to re-solder the selector switch within 6 months; it absolutely looks like a $500 guitar, etc., but sounds and plays much better than a lot of $500 guitars I've had previously.

Back