Cars suck nowadays

Baba

Shredder
First off, I’m talking about ICE cars. I know about cobalt mining and the charging infrastructure and all that. I’m not talking about EV’s.

If you want to get on a soapbox about the environment, do it somewhere else, we’re not talking about that here.

We’re talking about STYLING.

I’ll be buying another car in the spring, and I just don’t like any cars out there. In fact, that’s the main problem, there aren’t many “cars” left, it’s mostly crossovers and SUVs.

It’s come to the point for me, where, because of the choices out there, I don’t really care what I drive, it’s come to that “point A to point B” thing.

I can just remember back when every automaker had the econobox, the sporty econobox, the hot hatch, the V6 sporty coupe/sedan, the V8 sporty coupe/sedan, AND minivans and SUVs.

I’ve kind of HAD to drive SUVs for the last 20 years because of the band gear I was carrying, but now that it’s just me and my paltry gear, I’d love a sexy, sporty sedan or coupe with a V6, and a non-CVT transmission.

That day is gone.

It used to be:

1. What do you like/want?
2. What can you afford?

Now it’s:

1. What can you afford?
2. Well, look for “something” in that price range, but you’re probably not going to really like it, and it’s going to look like ______, and it’ll probably have a CVT . . .

Get off my lawn.

I went looking for a new commuter/work car in Nov 2021 when there was ZERO inventory...

I was originally just looking for a used Civic or similar little 4 door with good gas mileage. Everywhere I looked people were asking 20k+ for cars with 80k+ miles on them and they were beat to hell.

I was about to cave and take what I could get when I came across an Alfa Romeo dealer with a dozen or so "off lease" Guilia models. I eneded up walking out with a 2017 model with 37k miles for $25k w/ a 5yr warranty. When I showed up with it at home, my wife thought I spent a fortune on it, lol. I had to explain that I couldn't afford NOT to buy it.

The picture below isn't mine, but looks just like it. It's such a fun car to drive, I really lucked out.

2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-review.jpg

Umm what?
There are plenty of sedans out there.
1. Ford no longer makes a sedan.
2. Chevy has ONE sedan.
3. The Challenger is going away
4. The Camaro is going away
5. Nissan has nothing but CVT 4 cylinders.
6. I’m pretty sure Honda has nothing but CVT 4 cylinders.

I’m trying to stay mainstream, as the luxury brands are outside of my price range.

Pretty much, a Kia, Hyundai, or Volkswagen Jetta or Golf GLI are what I’m looking at, for a non-hybrid, sporty car in the mainstream, that has a stepped transmission, but again, all 4 bangers.

I feel like there used to be so much more variety in car designs. Now if you see one white car, it's easy to mistake it for a dozen other models.

I'm happy that I don't need to own a car.

First off, I’m talking about ICE cars. I know about cobalt mining and the charging infrastructure and all that. I’m not talking about EV’s.

there aren’t many “cars” left, it’s mostly crossovers and SUVs.
Here are some actual cars:

Mazda 3 Hatchback. There's also a Mazda 3 sedan.

Subaru Impreza and Legacy.

Audi A3. There are also S3 and RS3 versions.

There's also Nissan Sentra, Altima, and Maxima, various Mercedes and BMW models, Hyundais, Hondas, etc., etc.

Some, but not all, versions of some of the above are available with CVT. It's usually specific to trim level/option package, so you've got to choose the correct version to get a non-CVT transmission. FWIW, I won't buy a car with CVT either.

I bought a Mazda MX5 6 years ago. The Rectoverb 25 fits in the trunk and the guitar goes in the passenger seat. Gig ready. No regerts. Yeah it’s a 4 cylinder but it is so fun to drive.

IMG_1106.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JT
I bought a Mazda MX5 6 years ago. The Rectoverb 25 fits in the trunk and the guitar goes in the passenger seat. Gig ready. No regerts. Yeah it’s a 4 cylinder but it is so fun to drive.

View attachment 15895

I have one of these and I absolutely love it (ND2). I was going to look for a used car too, until I ran into the same thing and it was actually easier/cheaper to buy new because of what people were asking for a decent used car. My husband has a mini that's also a great little car! See also BRZ/FRS. Granted all of these are 2 doors so I'm not really sure it counts.

I have one of these and I absolutely love it (ND2). I was going to look for a used car too, until I ran into the same thing and it was actually easier/cheaper to buy new because of what people were asking for a decent used car. My husband has a mini that's also a great little car! See also BRZ/FRS. Granted all of these are 2 doors so I'm not really sure it counts.
I’m going to give all 3 of those (Mazda/BRZ/FRS) a serious look when I’m ready

suvs that can't do anything off road and can't tow are basically our entire work parking lot. They all look the same and are maybe 3 different colors

Oh I just love sitting higher

Fml

We are so dumb

suvs that can't do anything off road and can't tow
That one's a puzzle to me as well. The only SUV I ever owned was a 1998 Ford Exploder that was the tow vehicle for my autocross car. It served that purpose very well and was narrow enough to fit into "compact car" parking spots. The tradeoff was the truck ride. Absent a need to tow, I'll always go with a sedan. If I ever need to haul hay or cowshit, I'll rent a pickup for the purpose.

Another puzzle: high-end SUVs. If I were to ever want to own a Cadillac (don't worry, I won't), it wouldn't be an Escalade or XT. Same for other high-end makes. Porsche Cayenne or Macan? Uhh, no thanks....

Another puzzle: high-end SUVs. If I were to ever want to own a Cadillac (don't worry, I won't), it wouldn't be an Escalade or XT. Same for other high-end makes. Porsche Cayenne or Macan? Uhh, no thanks....
I test drove a Cayenne GTS in 2016. Bought it on the spot. Told everyone for years it was the best car I'd ever owned and I've owned lots. Loved that car. Got hit by a deer so I traded it in for a 2020 Cayenne Turbo. It's even better and I tell everyone it's the best car I've ever owned and I've owned lots.

If you like "drivers cars" it's hard to beat a Porsche. They're very comfortable yet have fantastic handling. Not many 5000 lb cars that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and pull almost a g on the skidpad.

I test drove a Cayenne GTS in 2016. Bought it on the spot. Told everyone for years it was the best car I'd ever owned and I've owned lots. Loved that car. Got hit by a deer so I traded it in for a 2020 Cayenne Turbo. It's even better and I tell everyone it's the best car I've ever owned and I've owned lots.

If you like "drivers cars" it's hard to beat a Porsche. They're very comfortable yet have fantastic handling. Not many 5000 lb cars that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and pull almost a g on the skidpad.

We have the OG 2013 GTS Cayenne with the 435 hp V8. 10 years old and like brand new.

Back