Cars suck nowadays

If you like "drivers cars" it's hard to beat a Porsche.
I like drivers' cars. My dd is an E46 BMW (previously I had a 2013 Audi S4), and my (presently inactive) autox car is a 1970 Lotus Europa. If I want an SUV, it'll be because I need a tow vehicle. A Cayenne or the like (the platform, but not the engine, is shared with the VW Touareg) doesn't fit my definition of a good tow vehicle, for a number of reasons.

They're very comfortable yet have fantastic handling. Not many 5000 lb cars that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and pull almost a g on the skidpad.
I take no issue with either statement. OTOH, I would never corner anything with that high a CG at 1g, nor would I ever pull ~1g in any vehicle, no matter how capable, on public roads. The Europa can pull about 1.2g steady-state, more in transients. Once you've learned to fully exploit that capacity under controlled conditions, the notion of driving anywhere near the limit on public roads takes on a whole new dimension. The people who make that mistake often end up wadding up their prized rides (and sometimes themselves).

FWIW, I am not offering criticism of the engineering in high-end SUVs; I just have no use for the platform.

Last edited:
Back