Sell Outs

And if making music is your income one can’t play stuff they don’t like?
I'm guessing that most of the folks participating here have never been working musicians. If I'm wrong in that guess, I'm sure I'll be corrected promptly. :sofa
I mean “shit music” to me is guys regurgitating 80s stuff, or worse guys that were there the first time around still serving Luke warm reboots of it.
I'm not gonna slag '80s music generally. Never was (and am not now) a fan of big hair music. I did enjoy some tunes of that era from Steve Winwood. Bonnie Raitt, Little Feat, Neville Brothers, Tom Waits, Tina Turner, Pat Metheny, etc., however.
I try again at 15 I hated Chic, EWF etc
I played some EWF tunes during my full-time days. That was some of the more enjoyable cover material I played. For some serious funk/soul, one of my favorites was (and still is) Tower of Power.
Later on at the times I subsidises income by doing cover bands those bands material was the fun part of the gig for me.
Whereas I hate doing stuff like Whitesnake for example.
Fortunately, I've never been asked to play Whitesnake or similar. Not saying I would have refused, though.

I'm guessing that most of the folks participating here have never been working musicians. If I'm wrong in that guess, I'm sure I'll be corrected promptly. :sofa

Thanks for being civil.gif

Lesson learned: those that have not only worn them in trenches, but also made the actual design and procurement decisions for a "foot corn remover pad" are allowed to make comments about, "foot corn remover pads", (on public discussion forums) for all time. Rules are required in societies!
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Dude, to me we’re on forums to talk in generalities, not shoving our music CVs in each other’s faces. I don’t think it’s good form to require the people I’m talking to to pass an exam before they get to interact with me.

And let’s not forget that the majority of musical instrument players likely AREN’T working musicians.
Of course not.
Without them, we probably wouldn’t even be having this conversation right now, nor would we have the section of gear that’s available to us today.
And this is relevant to the concept of "selling out" in precisely what way?

But for real…

My point is that this whole notion that if you aren’t a working musician, somehow you don’t have the right to criticize a musician, their work, OR their financial decisions, is complete bullshit.

Non-working musicians are just as important to music and the MI industry.
Certainly to MI but how to music, assuming working musician means someone deriving his money from music, not just cover or tribute guys.

As for opinions…it’s easy to have a generalised opinion about some one’s choice, particularly when one has a day gig.

As for guys like Metallica, once they’re stars they do usually wanna stay relevant.

Look my GF is a huge Vai fan, and they’ve become friendly a few years back.
She think he’s sold out since the new rhythm player, new tech and the guy that caterewauls on top of For The Love Of God.

I keep telling her he’s getting old and wants to stay relevant.
As the colab with Poliphia shows. I can totally understand that.

My point is that this whole notion that if you aren’t a working musician, somehow you don’t have the right to criticize a musician, their work, OR their financial decisions,
I didn't say that. Did someone else say that?
Non-working musicians are just as important to music and the MI industry.
What part of "sell out" escapes your understanding? If nobody's buying what you're offering, then you don't have the option of "selling out." Unless you know them personally, what someone else's motives might be in an "artistic" decision they've made is a matter of nothing but blind speculation.

Honestly, it matters not a whit to me whether Metallica compromised their "artistic integrity." It's a stage act, for God's sake.

Back