Can’t decide between Kemper Stage or Fractal

I know the ONLY way to know for sure if you’ll like something is to try it yourself.
this.gif

In search of something "better", I've gone from Helix to QC back to Helix, Helix to FM3 back to Helix, and Helix to FM9 back to Helix.

Conventional TGP group-think would have it that once I hit the Fractal products, I would have stopped searching and been "happy" having hit Tone-Nirvana, but I still ended up going back to the Helix because it just works best for me, and the tones have always been there.

Currently, I'm mostly working with a ToneX pedal in the loop of an HX Stomp, and I think that may be the sweet spot for me, but I'm not always using the ToneX and still love and use the HX amps more often than not in my presets.

The main takeaway that I've learned from all this (ok, more like confirmed), is that there is *no* substitute for practical long-term experience with a particular modeller to find what works best for you.

I don’t roll down the tone knobs on my guitar or even NEED to use any in between settings on amps.

The way I play is totally pure clean tones and high gain and nothing in between.

But I agree that modeling is superior to profiling in that it allows you to access ANY amp tone instead of a static snapshot of an amp in only one setting.
Yes was just pointing out different needs for different folks
not disagreeing on your choice, we all have different needs and tastes

I have no clue what “black box” vs “white box” means. Can you clarify this?

What is NAM? I also don’t know what that acronym means.

"Black Box" is referring to devices that take a snapshot of an amplifier to create a profile (e.g.: Kemper). It is called "black box" because you capture the amplifier with specific settings, and the options to shape the tone are quite limited.

"White Box" is referring to modelers that replicate the actual circuit of the amplifier using complex programming (e.g.: Fractal Audio). It is called "white box" because it is open to change many parameters of the amplifier. Not only the Gain and Tone knobs, but advanced settings like tubes, power supply, bias, compression, harmonics, grid clipping, transformer characteristics, EQ type and location, output compression, speaker compression, etc. There is a full list of parameters at this link

Both can get very good results and are used by many professionals. The choice is up to the user needs and preferences (and, apparently, to what we are recommending here 😉)

NAM (Neural Amp Modeler) is a profile/capture software plugin that is free and open source. Many users are claiming that the results are better than any of the existing profilers. It is software, so it requires a computer, although someone has managed to run it on a Stand-Alone Raspberry Pi

Note that the name "Neural" is not related to the "Neural DSP Quad Cortex" profiler. The developer says that he was using that name before the Quad Cortex was created.

And it is wrong that he is calling it "Modeler" because it is not a modeler, it is a profile/capture device. That must be misleading a lot of people at the guitar community.

It can be downloaded here:

More info:

Last edited:
I have a Kemper, a Helix, and an Axe-FX III. Of the three, the Kemper is the easiest to find good tones quickly (as long as you know what you're after from the beginning). Helix has always been the most difficult and needs a lot of fine tuning to get that last little bit "right." But when you get it dialed in, it sounds great as well.

For ease of use with only the basic, traditional effects chain, I would always recommend the Kemper. If you get into elaborate signal chains or complex routing and switching, the Fractal is unbeatable in that regard.

Helix's strongest point is the extremely intuitive UI. If you want to get up and running without looking at the manual or watching a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, Helix is the way to go.

Helix has always been the most difficult and needs a lot of fine tuning to get that last little bit "right." But when you get it dialed in, it sounds great as well.
This was never the case in my experience - personally I've always found the Helix easy to dial in.

I do wonder if this a "genre" thing though - anecdotally it does seem that many people who regularly frequent digital and modelling forums are high-gain/metal players (for the most part), whereas I seldom want to play anything "heavier" than AC/DC, and really tend to live in the clean/edge-of-breakup space.

This was never the case in my experience - personally I've always found the Helix easy to dial in.

The Helix became easy to dial in for me when I switched to a high quality "FRFR". Not sure that this has any grounds and I don’t have much experience with the other units, but I have the impression that the Helix has a less “polished” sound; a less-than-ideal "FRFR" may emphasize some nasty frequencies that are difficult to dial out.

I do wonder if this a "genre" thing though - anecdotally it does seem that many people who regularly frequent digital and modelling forums are high-gain/metal players (for the most part), whereas I seldom want to play anything "heavier" than AC/DC, and really tend to live in the clean/edge-of-breakup space.
Then there's me, I haven't found any of the modelers to require that much tweaking regardless of genre. The default settings for Helix amp blocks don't agree with my preferences so I end up overwriting them. Fractal is more of a blank slate as its main controls just default to noon.

Meanwhile most of Fractal and Line6 effects tend to come with pretty good default configurations that don't need a whole lot of editing to be nice.

Yesterday I spent about an hour figuring out the "perfect" cab sims for my Strymon Iridium. It was basically running a loop through it with each amp model and then auditioning different York Audio IRs as well as building custom IR mixes using ML Sound Lab MIKKO plugin. I found that the Iridium works best with cab sims that are on the bright side because then you have more room with the Iridium's EQ controls to fine tune it to your liking.

Maybe it all works for me because I've had a pair of rather nice Genelec studio monitors for years as well as Sennheir HD 6XX headphones which I find work well with modelers. I also used to run the Axe-Fx 2 -> Atomic FR 1x12 fullrange setup for years and was happy with how that sounded so I'm not chasing some "cab in the room" sound either.

How do you feel Kemper does high gain? Outside a few profiles, I had an issue getting a tone I liked outside marshall
Kemper works perfect with any tone,my advice always reset Kemper to factory,also tone depend on the profiles you buy,for high gain try Sinmix,Josh Middletone JTM,STL Mark Lewis Signature,Choptones

knowing very well both products (owned 2 kemper and still have the axe 3)

As soon as I have the axe 3, the kemper was taking dust. I prefer the tone of the axe. Impossible to play back with the kemper. Everything is tighter in the axe, less fuzziness.
The kemper is a good product, the clean tones are great, gapless switching, profiling is entertaining. But if I have to choose I stay with the axe without hesitation.
to each his own,i been a fractal user for many years but when i bought the Kemper the axe 3 start collecting dust under my desk,im not going to bash the axe 3 is a pretty cool device but im a Kemper guy

This is why I guess we all have to try different gear to see what works for us.

For SO many years, I’ve heard “Kemper is untouchable for amp tones,” and “Fractal sounds the BEST, period.”

But we all have different uses— recording, touring, playing at home for fun— and one unit is the better choice than the other for people.

If I HAD the money, maybe I buy both…

:)

This is why I guess we all have to try different gear to see what works for us.

For SO many years, I’ve heard “Kemper is untouchable for amp tones,” and “Fractal sounds the BEST, period.”

But we all have different uses— recording, touring, playing at home for fun— and one unit is the better choice than the other for people.

If I HAD the money, maybe I buy both…

:)
I recommend sticking to one unit and learning it well. I don't listen to my advice tho lol

Back