Budget amp suggestions

maddnotez

Groupie
Give me the goods.

Looking to temporarily downgrade but I'm on the poverty.

I like saturation. Wet and tight like your dad's BH. I'm looking at the 5150 Iconic EL34. It sounded good to me but isn't very saturated. I figured with the right boost maybe I'm good.

Trying to keep it under 1k. The cheaper the better but still needs to work with a band and not sound like complete shit.

For reference my top 3 amps have been the Uber Ultra, VHT 100CL and JP2C in order.

What should I be looking at. Might snag the 5150 iii el34 50w but damn I want 100w.

This

But I am just that guy.
The price is definitely right but I've used one, albeit at my friend's and not in my own surroundings. Not sure if there was an issue with the amp but we both said meh and he returned it for a Stealth.

Im super picky for a broke bish so I'll probably just get a Peaverty

I get it and all, but these are widely unappreciated in all circles. A highly versatile amp, for every style, and in the right hands sounds just as good as any boutique built amp, at a quarter of the price new ....

The biggest secret is to put an EQ in the loop ..bump up the output gain by 2 db....bam totally different amp at all gain levels.

Lately I recommend the newer hand built ones from the UK. But you said budget....so yeah.

It's cool though, I just always recommend these ...have a good hunt!

Peavey exists just for you.

Triple XXX / 3120
JSX / Triple XXX II

Maybe an Ultra 120 would work too.

Other budget amps worth thinking about:

- Laney Ironheart 120
- Jet City 100HDM
- Marshall DSL
- Laney GH100L / VH100

I feel like a JSX would be the one, tons of gain and saturation, 3 channels, 120W, and it’s on way more records than the 3 amps you mentioned (maybe even combined?).

Peavey exists just for you.

Triple XXX / 3120
JSX / Triple XXX II

Maybe an Ultra 120 would work too.

Other budget amps worth thinking about:

- Laney Ironheart 120
- Jet City 100HDM
- Marshall DSL
- Laney GH100L / VH100

I feel like a JSX would be the one, tons of gain and saturation, 3 channels, 120W, and it’s on way more records than the 3 amps you mentioned (maybe even combined?).
Yeah Peavey/EVH is definitely being considered heavily.

I have owned the Ultra 120 Years ago but never tried the XXX/3120

Bogner alchemist….if you don’t need to boost the gain channel post gain for solos…the efx loop is a parralel loop…and it’s heavy.
Otherwise….great sounding amp…should go for 350 tops.

People cant give away Engl combos on the used market…400 tops..never played one.

Laney IRT, I own the studio version….love it!

Disclaimer,,,I’m not a high gain guy….

Brand new DSL100H's are going for around $830 and prior, and probably better, versions can be picked up for around $500.

The EVH 5150 III is a wicked amp, the best choice from everything you listed. I don't know if they can be found for under 1K though.
There's a guy 2 hours away that has one (50 watt) and matching 2x12 for $1k

Yeah that was hard to resist. I ended up getting a Peavey 3120 and a 5150 4x12 for $700.

If I waited another day I may have gotten the el34 Iconic.

My thing is I needed both amp and cab immediately for rehearsal tonight. On top of that this is just a temporary budget solution until I pay off some bills so I wanted it to be as cheap as possible while still acceptable to jam on.

Down the road I'll probably get another Uber Ultra or maybe a 100CL or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Happy with the Peavey, it isn't the perfect tone by any means but it works. Now I'm on the hunt for a Mesa Cab.

Back