Narrowing down my options for a tube amp

A few words on the MT 15 or the suggested EvH 50 Watter. Both these, and the whole EVH amp range, basically most modern higain amps (resp. their higain channels) are over-gained imo (SLO, Recto, 5150, JVM, ....). No one should ever need so much gain, even using low output PAF type pickups.
I also find, that many YouTubers present these amps or channels using too much gain.
In fact many many professional (modern) metal players don't use that much gain.
Ok had to get rid of that, sorry.

With the MT 15 I agree that this is a quite big and mature sounding amp considering it's price. Its flaws could be solved with a few mods. Should be an easy job for an experienced tech. However, having to pay for the tech, equalizes the cheap price .. :cool:

A few words on the MT 15 or the suggested EvH 50 Watter. Both these, and the whole EVH amp range, basically most modern higain amps (resp. their higain channels) are over-gained imo (SLO, Recto, 5150, JVM, ....). No one should ever need so much gain, even using low output PAF type pickups.
I also find, that many YouTubers present these amps or channels using too much gain.
In fact many many professional (modern) metal players don't use that much gain.
Ok had to get rid of that, sorry.

With the MT 15 I agree that this is a quite big and mature sounding amp considering it's price. Its flaws could be solved with a few mods. Should be an easy job for an experienced tech. However, having to pay for the tech, equalizes the cheap price .. :cool:
If you could kill the noise and bump it up to 50 watts with a transformer swap (which I believe you can do the second thing); that form factor is :chef

I think there is a YT vid out there where the clean power amp output of the MT 15 is measured, and I think it was 23 Watts or so.
Swapping trannies can be quite acoatly thing, and may or may not involve checking if the components affected can stand the higher voltages.

IME, the Studio IRT is good for Metal and Clean… not much else. With regard to opinions on amps having too much gain… Geesh. Just use your guitar volume, the gain knob or a preamp tube swap or two. The first two take zero effort.

Sounds great. Using single coils?
Not sure what I used for this one…either a levinson blade strat with Duncan prails on the p90 setting.
or..a prs 513 in singlecoil mode…where I may have switched to paf setting for the clean part.

#answerthatsaynothing ;-)

Not sure what I used for this one…either a levinson blade strat with Duncan prails on the p90 setting.
or..a prs 513 in singlecoil mode…where I may have switched to paf setting for the clean part.

#answerthatsaynothing ;-)
I had a feeling. I strictly use full humbuckers and never got close to that sound with that unit. I even tried two. But then again being able to reach ripping gain is my priority. I can typically cover that ground, medium gain and clean with ‘59 humbuckers or JB’s (on a good day) with a great amp. The Studio SRT never gave me that even after being retubed and tweaked to achieve that goal. Just sounded sterile to me. My tech said it was plate starved. But clearly your clip showed it can sound great under the right conditions.

Bravo!

Eyeballing the ENGL Ironball SE! That feature set looks mighty drool-fest. IR loading, friggin delay and noise gate?? MIDI?

At that price I'd have to wait quite a few months tho..

Eyeballing the ENGL Ironball SE! That feature set looks mighty drool-fest. IR loading, friggin delay and noise gate?? MIDI?
137575A2-3AD3-4E4B-A4E6-E86F3E911AF2.jpeg

I sold my Ironball back to the former owner, who regretted he sold it, just before Christmas, and bought the SE 😉.
I use the Airstep midi foot controller, as I also can use that as an ordinary foorswitch on my Fireball.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm gonna have to save up some chips for sure, I don't think I wanna buy a used tube amp unless it's from someone I know. Perhaps by summer I'll have enough to reopen this door.

View attachment 4354
I sold my Ironball back to the former owner, who regretted he sold it, just before Christmas, and bought the SE 😉.
I use the Airstep midi foot controller, as I also can use that as an ordinary foorswitch on my Fireball.
The SE is a killer feature laden amp. It can do a lot of tones and sounds great direct or through headphones as well. I regret selling mine. I was just in a bad mood I think.

Anyone have experience with the Blackstar St James 50w 6L6?

I know it ain't no Fireball but it's more wattage and less $$ It has a lower wattage mode, no Midi, but two channels. Demos sound pretty damn good too. I'd like something under 18" wide to stand atop my 2x12 in vertical position without looking like a big, stupid T.

Anyone have experience with the Blackstar St James 50w 6L6?

I know it ain't no Fireball but it's more wattage and less $$ It has a lower wattage mode, no Midi, but two channels. Demos sound pretty damn good too. I'd like something under 18" wide to stand atop my 2x12 in vertical position without looking like a big, stupid T.
@AFKAEjay has the EL34 St. James and likes it a lot.

Back