SS amp for modelers

Dont skip cheap rack power amps, they are not overpriced as guitar specific power amps and they are actually flat.
I have had two now. Too big and hard to transport unless in a rack case, which makes it even bigger. Looking for something more portable and won't look like a T when on top of my cab in vertical position
20230815_115832.jpg

Here's a related thread, @Alex Kenivel.

Go ahead, poop on it!

triumph the insult comic dog conan25 GIF by Team Coco
I remember it well, I think that must have been before the poomojis were added?

Why does @Alex Kenivel toss out :poop: emojis like they are candy??? Save 'em for the potty training toddlers, AK! :LOL:
Ask me what I'm sitting on right now....

I tried Seymour Duncan, EHX, and Quilter before settling on a Sampson stereo rack unit. Price is pretty reasonable and sounds great with both an HX Stomp and various SS pre-amp pedals.

Servo for Guitar
It's not exactly more portable than a PA amp, though. I wouldn't wanna be lugging it from room-to-room. Also MIGHT not be loud enough with a drummer driving greenbacks (low sensitivity) at 16 ohms, depending on how loud the drummer is and how big the space.

@Alex Kenivel the biggest issue I have with lugging stuff from room to room is cable management. For that reason alone, if I ever find myself needing portable again, I'll make a cab with a built-in plate amp.

It's not exactly more portable than a PA amp, though.

Ya, I wish they'd make a standalone version with the two amp sides stacked instead the current layout. I don't use a rack so it looks a bit stupid just sitting on a shelf. The rack ears are integral to the front panel and not removable. Sounds so damn good though.

IMG_20140419_144014.jpg

It sure does makes a Duncan Powerstage 170 look WAY overpriced though.

Ya, I wish they'd make a standalone version with the two amp sides stacked instead the current layout. I don't use a rack so it looks a bit stupid just sitting on a shelf. The rack ears are integral to the front panel and not removable. Sounds so damn good though.

IMG_20140419_144014.jpg

It sure does makes a Duncan Powerstage 170 look WAY overpriced though.
I dunno -- I sold my PS recently, but I still don't know that I find it overpriced. Build quality on it is fantastic...I don't think I've read any account of one failing, which is no surprise given the reputation of the ICE boards that they use. No need to deal with an external power supply. All the right I/O on board for guitar amp use. I get why people go for the BAM and other cheaper options, but I also get why the SD costs what it costs...especially having priced a home-brew diy version of it using the same ICE board and recognizing that I couldn't really build it for THAT much cheaper than it costs new.

Build quality on it is fantastic...I don't think I've read any account of one failing,

I am definitely not being negative towards the Powerstage. I'm familiar with the guts and it's premium all the way. It's just that it lists for $400 and the Sampson is $250. Considering the insides of each it seems overpriced by direct comparison is all.

I am definitely not being negative towards the Powerstage. I'm familiar with the guts and it's premium all the way. It's just that it lists for $400 and the Sampson is $250. Considering the insides of each it seems overpriced by direct comparison is all.
power stage is quite a bit louder than the Samson, IME.

I had the PowerStage 700 briefly, and it was fantastic. I returned it because I don't really need that much juice, and I don't plan to run stereo for the modeling rig.

I think I'll do the 200, and then that'll give me the option of running my analog rig in stereo though, if I want.

The signal path on the 200 is mono though, right? Just has two speaker outputs - or is that all you meant by stereo?
It's mono, yes. So the plan would be:

4CM-->guitar into dirt/phaser/vibe-->front of amp:

BL50 send-->Julia-->Brig TRS-->El Cap TRS-->DIG TRS-->Blue Sky TRS-->1. SD PS200 2. BL50 return. Small, theoretically efficient stereo rig.

I had the 800 and it noisy af with power buttons I did not trust. And not all that loud ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Noisy you mean in the room? If so yeah, my GT1000 sounds like a jet engine because it's the 1U version haha. A little annoying if you're playing alone quietly. And sad that matrix have not been able to continue building - I gave up trying to find a GT2k for bass. As for volume, you gotta feed them hot enough and not be afraid to max out the volume knobs - but yeah, not as loud as the rating would have you believe possibly.

The other thing that happens in the TB202 "FRFR" mode (apart from flat EQ) is that the power amp interaction with the speaker is stiffened.

Incidentally, I have a bunch of nice emails from Pat Quilter. This is _after_ he already retired once and came back to finish his life's work. And he still finds time to answer my questions. What a wonderful guy!
I wish Quilter would do a power amp-only amp optimized for modelers, that’s stereo/mono switchable. Their stuff is so good, but some of its a bit or a workaround.

I wish Quilter would do a power amp-only amp optimized for modelers, that’s stereo/mono switchable. Their stuff is so good, but some of its a bit or a workaround.

Yeah, I had the 2 channel Mach 3 head for a while. 2 simulataneous independent channels! It had pretty much everything except it was mono
out.

So so close!

Back