Narrowing down my options for a tube amp

I’m medium gain tops on a wild day…and really like the IRT. (Metal is on my “stuff I don’t get list“ ;-))

Damn, the 2nd part of that clip was sweet! I pictured myself having dinner in a dark, cozy upscale restaurant, candles and tablecloths, and would totally enjoy hearing that kind of playing style the entire evening. Very nice!

Damn, the 2nd part of that clip was sweet! I pictured myself having dinner in a dark, cozy upscale restaurant, candles and tablecloths, and would totally enjoy hearing that kind of playing style the entire evening. Very nice!
It is nice. A reminder that approach and technique is as important as gear.

Anyone have experience with the Blackstar St James 50w 6L6?

I know it ain't no Fireball but it's more wattage and less $$ It has a lower wattage mode, no Midi, but two channels. Demos sound pretty damn good too. I'd like something under 18" wide to stand atop my 2x12 in vertical position without looking like a big, stupid T.
Like @JiveTurkey mentioned I own the el34 version combo…and would buy again if a truck ran over it.
Main reason to try this amp was the fact that it’s 50w all tube at 23lbs…that is light enough to be grab and go…and loud enough for anything…so no more “lightweight options” needed in my amp stable…this is the amp I bring..period. To me reducing variables is important…so you always know what your gonna get when you turn it on ;-)

Since I mostly use it as a powered speaker for my preamp loaded pedalboard…I’m very pleased with the cabsim. Makes for an easier setup..plug board into return…plug foh into xlr on amp. Gives me flexibility for future gear choices..those don’t have to include cabsims. Considering my setup…it’s nice that the master volume sits after the return

soundwise…it’s very “in your face”…which I like. Tonestack gives control in the ranges I need it.
Both channels sound great. If I had to come up with a con…i would have liked a little less headroom on the clean preamp so you can dial that to ”edge” on the amp a bit more. Nothing a pedal can’t fix though.
its on the bass heavy side of the spectrum..but enough control to keep that constraknee.

I had the el34 next to the 6l6. Gain channel is obviously more modern (which is not me). The clean channels are simular, yet the el34 seems more present..at least at “guitar center volumes”.

Owning this amp did set one thing in stone…any next amp purchase I might do in the future will be one with a decent digital cabsim. I play stereo..so there’s still one side where I’m fiddling with gt core/cab m to feed foh…so I got 1 amp to desire somewhere down my path. (Where currently a non smelly IRT sits). I’m kinda hoping that more manufactures embrace the lightweight tech…so I wait till a nice full powered head hits the market. (I did consider adding a st James head…would be nicer to add a flavor..so I’m gonna be patient ;-))

I play stereo..so there’s still one side where I’m fiddling with gt core/cab m to feed foh
I was just watching a long video with the designers at Blackstar. The 1/4" line output is TRS stereo if you didn't know

Man, I'd keep the AC15Combo in that case. :sofa
Why? I never really use it, it was free, and takes up space. I actually got more money for it than I thought I would. Iff the MT15 doesn't sit well with me it'll go right back to GC

View attachment 4354
I sold my Ironball back to the former owner, who regretted he sold it, just before Christmas, and bought the SE 😉.
I use the Airstep midi foot controller, as I also can use that as an ordinary foorswitch on my Fireball.
I loved the Ironball Synergy module, one of the best modules IMHO and have eyed the SE several times.

Bro don’t.

You ain’t new to this, we been friends on forums for quite a few years.

You know what you want to play; there is LEGIT nothing new else out there.

Play what you love and fuck all the dumb shit…

Why? I never really use it, it was free, and takes up space. I actually got more money for it than I thought I would. Iff the MT15 doesn't sit well with me it'll go right back to GC

Well, since you asked. :LOL:

One's an iconically great amp and the other is the other.

You happy is all that matters. I just think long-term an AC15 will always be a better amp
in a wider range of styles and settings than the other amp. Granted no chugga chugga
with an AC15.

I always thought the AC15 amps were undesirable Vox turds?

I thought those were GC blowouts that weren't anywhere in the same league as the AC30s? Is there another Vox I am thinking of?

I tried to like it cause I had a cool green special edition…modded it…replaced the transformer…but gave up eventually...no go for me
I might also Associate it with a bunch of dumb posts at the other place with people running a modeler into the front input and wondering why it sounds like poop. Who knows.

Last edited:
Back