Boss ME-90 Multi-Fx

I don't know if I want to like this or not.

On one side: Lots of dedicated knobs, easy to operate, all the stuff an average guitarist needs.
On the flip side: Saved preset settings become invisible, like on most pedals with presets but no displays. Plus you lose the modularity of pedals but do get more fx in the tradeoff.

Yup. Turds are turds. No reason to get nostalgic about a turd is there?? :idk

I am not Nuno rocking a GT-6 for over 2 decades. Not even skill here to
outshine that piece of kit. :LOL:

My me-50 was an absolute dumpster fire. The GT6 was pretty cool though. I helped a friend set one up as a pedalboard a few years ago when he couldn’t swing a board full of real pedals, I was able to make it something giggable that sounded and felt good. He was still doubting it so I played a gig with it myself to show it was totally up to the task.

Wouldn’t be in my top 10 choices, but it could do its job. The me-50 could not…

D

My me-50 was an absolute dumpster fire. The GT6 was pretty cool though. I helped a friend set one up as a pedalboard a few years ago when he couldn’t swing a board full of real pedals, I was able to make it something giggable that sounded and felt good. He was still doubting it so I played a gig with it myself to show it was totally up to the task.

Wouldn’t be in my top 10 choices, but it could do its job. The me-50 could not…

D

I had the ME-50, too.... when it was the solution it didn't turn out to be. :brick

Was hoping to at least have real patch names instead of the usual 1980's numbers straight out of War Games. Sheesh.
matthew broderick professor falken GIF

Jeez, guys. How did I know TGF wouldn't like the ME-90? It's clearly not for the GX-100 or POD Go customer.

I totally get the WYSIWYG and no display thing. BOSS sold tons of ME-80s and they'll sell tons of these; all those extra features for only $50 more than the ME-80 is really impressive.

Jeez, guys. How did I know TGF wouldn't like the ME-90? It's clearly not for the GX-100 or POD Go customer.

I totally get the WYSIWYG and no display thing. BOSS sold tons of ME-80s and they'll sell tons of these; all those extra features for only $50 more than the ME-80 is really impressive.
I'm obviously buying one

Hey I'm still buying one!

If it works, it’s cool for what it is. A boost, comp, drive, two delays (or delay and a mod), plus reverb is my bread and butter so I’m sure I could get through a gig with it just fine… if it works. The me-50 was notoriously dodgy in effects loops, swore off the ME series after that experience.

Maybe they’ve resolved those issues. I just don’t trust them anymore lol.

D

I won't be getting one,
but I do know many guitarists who don't get on with complicated menu driven units,
and require something with tactile knobs and switches with the familiarity of stomp pedals.

I have an FM9 but this is really tempting. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, >90% of my playing is with basic sounds. OD, mod, delay, etc... I really don't need the horsepower of the FM9. The remaining 10% where I do use the FM9 power is really doing it because I can. It's overkill.

I also really like knobs. Yes, not being able to see the current settings on each patch is annoying. The wireless to Boss Tone Studio is an improvement but a screen would be better (but it's never happening on an ME box). IMHO the prime usage for the ME as an amp/pedalboard replacement. In a live situation I'd live on one patch with a few extra for unique song requirements.

Things that I find attractive about it:
1. Boss effects. I tend to like them.
2. You can switch out one of the effects in each type for a different one. Ex: Replace Recti Stack (which I'll never use) with Boutique.
3. Battery power.
4. Boss AIRD. I've had a GT-1k and I like some of the amps. I only need a few amps.
5. Knobs.
6. Great price.

What I hate?

1. The FX loop limited to right before or after the preamp is weak but honestly, how often would I or the millions who will buy this use the FX loop?
2. Digit only display. Really lame in 2023.
3. Only 3 IRs? That's cheesy.
4. Can't change the factory speaker type to a different factory speaker. It's either the factory matched cab or one of the 3 IRs.
5. Amp on/off tied to a footswitch. I can totally see myself accidentally turning the amp off while performing. I can't think of a use case where you'd want to turn it off on the fly with a footswitch. They should have used that switch for something else like dedicated CTL and had a different way to turn the amp sim on and off.

Back