Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Just seen the AD in my other email that I just checked and screen shot a different view of it...

newbosssynth.jpg

I'm intrigued by the PART 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 section and the R button. Wtf are these for....
Also notice the jacks on the back? No GK 13 input where it says GK...

I'm intrigued by the PART 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 section and the R button. Wtf are these for....

No GK input? So those of us with GK3's can't attend the party?

That pick up looks like it has to be wireless and it looks like it has no switching on it. I’m not sure why they would do that Unless they think the control switches are all we need. Maybe the pickup is packed with so much midi hex conversion there was no room for more.
Either that or they purposely pick a photo that doesn’t show what I would think they would want noticed.

Yeah that GK-5 is intriguing. I can’t figure out what they’re doing there. It does look like it has only a 1/4” jack :unsure:

That would make sense… so plug the magnetic pickups into the 1/4 input and send both signals wireless. That could be cool.

I’ve never really trusted 13 pin cables, it would be nice to get rid of them.

I guess that would mean it’s only compatible with a specific receiver though. Probably just this one pedal

That would make sense… so plug the magnetic pickups into the 1/4 input and send both signals wireless. That could be cool.

I’ve never really trusted 13 pin cables, it would be nice to get rid of them.

I guess that would mean it’s only compatible with a specific receiver though. Probably just this one pedal
It'll be interesting to see what this all ends up being. Certainly.

Can’t wait to slap that pickup on my new LP Standard!!! :banana

Seriously, though, if somehow this slides in under the price if the SY-1000, I may be interested.

The other add shows a new GK-5 pickup, but it's not a 13-pin... the pickup goes to a box that has a 1/4th jack....
I’m putting money on its some form of digital signal through a trs cable.

Guess my 80s Ibanez GB30 with build in GK5 & controls just dropped in value ;)

I'm guessing the 4 parts are the different synth types and modeling engines like what's in the SY-1000. This where you can select the part you're tweaking on screen. That would an UI improvement over the SY-1000, but not an actual sound improvement.

Wireless GK may not be a good thing if it adds latency (likely). No 13 pin input would make prior gear obsolete or at least incapable.

Question for guitar synth users: Why guitar synth over having an actual synth keyboard to the side?

I've tried a guitar synth once, don't remember which Boss model, it's been many years now so probably not the latest. For me the big problem was adapting to play it like the instrument in use. Guitar -> sax sounds is pretty straightforward, but e.g guitar -> keyboard type instruments was more difficult. It felt a bit weird to play guitar like that.

For me it's just easier to use an actual keyboard for that stuff, plus not worrying about any of the guitar synth quirks like tracking etc.

Question for guitar synth users: Why guitar synth over having an actual synth keyboard to the side?

I've tried a guitar synth once, don't remember which Boss model, it's been many years now so probably not the latest. For me the big problem was adapting to play it like the instrument in use. Guitar -> sax sounds is pretty straightforward, but e.g guitar -> keyboard type instruments was more difficult. It felt a bit weird to play guitar like that.

For me it's just easier to use an actual keyboard for that stuff, plus not worrying about any of the guitar synth quirks like tracking etc.
I bought a Kong MinilogueXD after selling off my 3rd attempt to keep an SY1000. I still have it and sometimes try to get better at using keys. Certainly sounds better and is free of all the quirks. The problem is I can't improvise on a keybed like I can on a fretboard (not that I'm any kind of wizard). So it is hard to get in a groove when you feel like you are stumbling to find the right note. I know I should just press on and develop my skills.

That and I love exploring a guitar sound mixed with keyboard sounds. However trying to play a part twice, once on each instrument, is way beyond me without lots of stopping and thinking. And even if I could it requires tracking it to even hear if the two voices together are greater than the sum of the parts. So spontaneous inspiration is not possible.

Back