BluGuitar Amp X

infinite rotaries would make more sense to me.
I’ve heard that current spikes (DC? Voltage? Dunno, I’m not an expert but an expert friend once told me this) can do weird things to them where they can change values dramatically on their own, so using 0-10 pots is more stable.

I'm still not convinced that using regular 0-10 style pots for the 4 "X controls" with the little displays above them is the right move, infinite rotaries would make more sense to me. But I'm not an amp designer so maybe BluGuitar has good reasons to go with this solution instead, even if it makes adjusting different fx a pain in the ass in comparison.

My guess is that there are some purely analog circuits that will be controlled by the X controls, along with the digital effects.

My guess is that there are some purely analog circuits that will be controlled by the X controls, along with the digital effects.
Yes, but if you recall a preset those settings will still be applied using digital control to an analog circuit.

This is the same thing as e.g my Strymon Compadre - which is actually a fully analog compressor and boost circuit, just controllable digitally.

Even my ASM Hydrasynth Explorer (not that expensive synth) has infinite rotaries with no notches and it has zero problems with parameter values fluctuating.

But it is entirely possible there is some effect that I don't know about that makes those 0-10 pots more desirable.

I need to try asking about this again in some BluGuitar live stream if I happen to catch it when it's live. I asked in one live stream but the question was ignored.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you recall a preset those settings will still be applied using digital control to an analog circuit.

This is the same thing as e.g my Strymon Compadre - which is actually a fully analog compressor and boost circuit, just controllable digitally.

Even my ASM Hydrasynth Explorer (not that expensive synth) has infinite rotaries with no notches and it has zero problems with parameter values fluctuating.

But it is entirely possible there is some effect that I don't know about that makes those 0-10 pots more desirable.

I need to try asking about this again in some BluGuitar live stream if I happen to catch it when it's live. I asked in one live stream but the question was ignored.
Right, but these are 2 different control paths.
Does the Strymon Compadre uses infinite rotaries?

If you ask Blug, please post his reply here, I'm interested to know what his reasons are.

Right, but these are 2 different control paths.
Does the Strymon Compadre uses infinite rotaries?
Nah, Strymon is the typical 0-10 pots as well, I was talking about restoring those values from presets as the encoder should not matter for that.

I brought up the Hydrasynth mainly because the control concept on it is exactly like the X controls. But obviously it's a digital synth so maybe that is why it's no problem.

If you ask Blug, please post his reply here, I'm interested to know what his reasons are.
It might just be a question of cost and complexity. (Which Blug probably wouldn't be in a hurry to disclose.) Passive pots are probably more compact than encoders/LEDs and the electronics to power, decode, etc.

It might just be a question of cost and complexity. (Which Blug probably wouldn't be in a hurry to disclose.) Passive pots are probably more compact than encoders/LEDs and the electronics to power, decode, etc.
Possible, though with the small displays you don't need LED rings or anything like that.

I'm still not convinced that using regular 0-10 style pots for the 4 "X controls" with the little displays above them is the right move, infinite rotaries would make more sense to me. But I'm not an amp designer so maybe BluGuitar has good reasons to go with this solution instead

I'd bet that he hasn't. It's just not on their radar. Business as usual.

I'd bet that he hasn't. It's just not on their radar. Business as usual.
There's already an infinite rotary encoder right under the main display though...

I took a quick look and Bourns makes rotary encoders without detents that seem like they would be perfect for this, and they are cheap.

Similarly the code needed to detect the changes is not difficult, though if you want them to feel nice (rather than require a lot of turns) you may want to apply some acceleration curve to them which is a bit more math.

The trick this has to do is convince people it's better than grabbing a Katana head.
I think the first trick it has to pull is to convince people that it isn't vapourware*! ;)

That being said, I'm still entirely unconvinced in the idea of chargeable Blugprints, unless the unit actually ships with a much larger number than has been previously mooted.

* I jest - I'm sure it will see the light of day, but it has been a *very* long time since it was originally unveiled!

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of the BluPrint addons ($) but this sort of DLC is not going away in this space unfortunately.

I am curious to see how comprehensive the amp and effect list is for this thing. With all the dev delays it needs to come out of the gate fully realized.

giphy.gif

I took a quick look and Bourns makes rotary encoders without detents that seem like they would be perfect for this, and they are cheap.

Similarly the code needed to detect the changes is not difficult, though if you want them to feel nice (rather than require a lot of turns) you may want to apply some acceleration curve to them which is a bit more math.

I think "cheap" is not exactly an objection when it comes to Amp X.
However, it seems to be cast in stone that it'll feature non-endless encoders - and as far as that nonsense goes (there's no justfication for standard 270° encoders in the digital world anymore), I'm defenitely not one of BluGuitars customers, regardless of how great this thing will sound.

---

Interestingly enough, even if it might read as an oxymoron: To get as close to analog usability in the programmable world, analog-style pots are completely counterproductive.
"Select something -> perhaps (visually) check current parameter value -> adjust". That's the closest you can get in digital land.
"Select something -> try to find out about the current parameter values in whatever weird ways -> adjust" however is bogus. But it's precisely what you get with analog-style knobs.

I’m not a fan of the BluPrint addons ($) but this sort of DLC is not going away in this space unfortunately.

I am curious to see how comprehensive the amp and effect list is for this thing. With all the dev delays it needs to come out of the gate fully realized.
It will never satisfy anyone here who is used to Helix, Fractal etc level of effects etc available.

Most likely it will come with a good selection of Blug's own vintage pedals and amps, some high gain classics, everything the Amp 1 models can do, everything in the Blubox cab sim, as well as some custom delays, reverbs and modulations.

My Amp 1 ME already does a ton, so I have no concerns about not getting sounds I love out of it. Effects quality and usability are my concerns.

I think "cheap" is not exactly an objection when it comes to Amp X.
However, it seems to be cast in stone that it'll feature non-endless encoders - and as far as that nonsense goes (there's no justfication for standard 270° encoders in the digital world anymore), I'm defenitely not one of BluGuitars customers, regardless of how great this thing will sound.

---

Interestingly enough, even if it might read as an oxymoron: To get as close to analog usability in the programmable world, analog-style pots are completely counterproductive.
"Select something -> perhaps (visually) check current parameter value -> adjust". That's the closest you can get in digital land.
"Select something -> try to find out about the current parameter values in whatever weird ways -> adjust" however is bogus. But it's precisely what you get with analog-style knobs.
Yeah that's disappointing to me too, but it's a compromise I can live with. That's basically what is going on with my Amp 1 + pedalboard setup right now.

The Amp X would at least improve it a bit by being able to immediately see current settings from the displays vs the "turn the knob until you see a LED flash" on my Strymon and SA pedals.

It will never satisfy anyone here who is used to Helix, Fractal etc level of effects etc available.

Yes, that's a good point.

With this product you would be essentially enjoying a curated collection of tones and effects.

Nothing wrong with that! It will suit some people and not others; same as any gear.

Yes, that's a good point.

With this product you would be essentially enjoying a curated collection of tones and effects.

Nothing wrong with that! It will suit some people and not others; same as any gear.
Yup. If I learned something from owning a bunch of modelers, it was that it didn't matter if there was only a handful of things to choose from, as long as they were good and worked for what I wanted to play. I don't care if I have a Marshall Superlead 1959 model, all I care about is getting "a really good Marshall Superlead style sound."

While I trust Blug's ears, and the H&K Replex and reverbs he has demoed sounded really good to me, my worry is that it will be a mixed bag for effects. With my Strymon/SA pedalboard the bar for quality is pretty high as is.

I think the Amp X will end up in the gap between amps and modelers, where it's probably closer to running a pedalboard + amp in 4CM while also having some aspects of the floor modeler units.

My current pedalboard + Amp 1 rig is more complex than e.g Fractal or Line6 for programming things like switching multiple fx at once, but is much faster for changing settings on multiple effects. If the Amp X can deliver that, but with easier programming in a size that is about as big as my pedalboard, I think it will work well for my needs.

It's a great concept. I recently tried out the Hughes and Kettner floor unit (Black Spirit, I think) and while I prefer the tone of my BluGuitar ME, the functionality was pretty great. If the Amp X combines the BluGuitar tone with that kind of flexibility, it will be awesome.

It's a great concept. I recently tried out the Hughes and Kettner floor unit (Black Spirit, I think) and while I prefer the tone of my BluGuitar ME, the functionality was pretty great. If the Amp X combines the BluGuitar tone with that kind of flexibility, it will be awesome.
I can't remember if I ordered the head and Musicians Friend sent the floor model or vice versa by mistake. I packed it back up and didn't try it and I sort of regretted not giving it a go before returning it.

Back