BluGuitar Amp X

Latest announcement on his Academy of tone
Hopefully out in Germany by end of year
The rest of the world expecting mid / summer of 2025
He is doing his due diligence
Is on Rev 7 of the board and there is a delay due to back order
So probably 2027 😄
IMO, Thomas would’ve been better off keeping this whole project under wraps until he was close to releasing it.

4e57410e-a420-408c-be92-f35a38cebab5_text.gif

Man, again: one of the nicest dudes in the industry, and very creative. But JFC, Thomas.
he needs too be honest though , this I will have it out by Christmas , not a chance

With NAMM less than a month after that , I guarantee he is back at NAMM with the final ( or what should be the final ) saying this will go into production later this year

I really hope this comes out fully featured and awesome, because I get the sense that if there are early issues or bad reviews out of the gate this could potentially crater him and the company given the protracted development time.

I really hope this comes out fully featured and awesome, because I get the sense that if there are early issues or bad reviews out of the gate this could potentially crater him and the company given the protracted development time.

Fwiw, in one of his interviews, it seemed pretty much as if there'd be additional content planned that you'll have to purchase.
And to quote you from the Genome thread:

Paid DLC after purchasing hardware sucks.

So much about "fully featured and awesome".

Fwiw, in one of his interviews, it seemed pretty much as if there'd be additional content planned that you'll have to purchase.
And to quote you from the Genome thread:

So much about "fully featured and awesome".

I’m not even worried about his DLC plans now, I’m more concerned that the company could find itself busted after a protracted development period if this thing stumbles out of the gate. Dude seems like a genuinely good guy. I hope he pulls this off.

Dude seems like a genuinely good guy.

Defenitely. But perhaps not like someone to get involved into all this kinda thing too much. I mean, from all I know, he's always been a player by heart, rather than a business man (let alone an engineer or programmer). Maybe not the best pre-requisite.

Defenitely. But perhaps not like someone to get involved into all this kinda thing too much. I mean, from all I know, he's always been a player by heart, rather than a business man (let alone an engineer or programmer). Maybe not the best pre-requisite.
He's been involved in product development at Hughes&Kettner for many years though, including digital products like the H&K Zentera afaik. I guess the real issue is he's taken on a massive task of making the Amp X which has a feature set closer to a modeler than an amp. He said in his livestream that he has a small team of developers and engineers working on it.

Only if you must have more stuff. IMO the Amp 1 alone is so versatile that the only things I'd consider purchasing are new effect options. I don't mind the paid DLC thing if it means those effects, amps etc will be done really well, or if their original developers get some kickbacks which sounds fair to me.

Totally agree he should have kept it under wraps. But at the same time, people would be constantly asking "Is there an Amp 2 coming out?" as the current Amp 1 range has been on the market since 2018 (Mercury) and 2019 (Iridium).

I'm in full waiting pattern here for next gen modelers or the Amp X. I really wish the product ends up successful and finds its audience. I've got my pedalboard + Amp 1 rig working great so I can wait and see how it turns out.

He's been involved in product development at Hughes&Kettner for many years though, including digital products like the H&K Zentera afaik.

Yeah, I know. Seen him quite sometimes showcasing H&K amps (and also talked to him a bit @ Musikmesse).
To me, he's always been the player they needed to steer their development into the right direction. But from all I know, he's never been involved in any detailed technical development (let alone any business).

IMO, Thomas would’ve been better off keeping this whole project under wraps until he was close to releasing it.
Yeah I agree. I was excited about this but it kind of wore off with all the delays.

I also have a pedalboard with an Amp1 and a Boss MS-3 and I don't really see what the Amp X will do that I can't already do with that setup, which is cheaper, readily available and actually smaller. .

So idk, I think just adding a few basic effects to the Amp 1 like delay, chorus and a tuner for an additional $200 and calling it Amp 2 or whatever would've been sufficient.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. I was excited about this but it kind of wore off with all the delays.

I also have a pedalboard with an Amp1 and a Boss MS-3 and I don't really see what the Amp X will do that I can't already do with that setup, which is cheaper, readily available and actually smaller. .

So idk, I think just adding a few basic effects to the Amp 1 like delay, chorus and a tuner for an additional $200 and calling it Amp 2 or whatever would've been sufficient.
IMO "two Amp 1s in one box" would have done it, basically two channels you can set to any of the channels, each with their own EQ.

Afaik he even had a concept for "Amp 2" that was exactly like that. But it kept evolving with things like wanting an IR loader there, which means now he has a DSP which could be used for effects. So it ballooned into the Amp X.

I can totally see how they got to that, but it's definitely been way too ambitious considering all the effects they need to work in.

Back