BluGuitar Amp X

laxu

Rock Star

I'm putting this here because the Amp X is not a digital modeler, it's an amp with built in fx. Even if there's a lot of overlap with modelers in its feature set.
You can read about the intended features and functionality from the product website.

This latest video shows some of how it functions. Guitar volume on the video is often low so turn up to hear the playing.

TL;DW main news points:
  • Release date still unknown, but seems they might be aiming for next NAMM for some sort of limited US release.
  • Hardware seems mostly complete and basically it all comes down to software.
  • There won't be a desktop editor at launch. There may be a web-based editor later. Which is IMO fine considering web technologies can do a helluva lot these days and are a pretty good fit for custom UIs with virtual knobs and whatnot.
  • BluGuitar will launch a website where you would be able to download extra models, aka BlugPrints, to the Amp X. No info on what will be offered, free or paid etc. They showed the website but it looks pretty work in progress, with no good categorization etc and probably atm only testing that downloading and uploading data to the Amp X works as it should.
  • BluGuitar seems to aim for this to be a pretty long term product, throwing in the air that it could be something they work on improving for the next 10 years or something.
My thoughts:
One thing I'm not sold on is using traditional analog knobs for the X controls that control the 4 params with small screens. They have a "catch up" feature to show you where to point the knob to make it match the value saved into a preset, but infinite rotaries would have greatly simplified this. The main controls feature a similar catchup feature but shown on the bigger screen.

Selecting what to edit is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand you can press dedicated buttons for assigned effects to get to them quick, but on the flip side there's definitely some scrolling involved to select the effect type and then which effect to use.

Overall it ends up in a similar issues most things have where seeing stored values at once isn't happening in an easy way and either requires menuing or some knob twisting. I don't have too much issue with this even on my large pedalboard so it will work ok overall.

To me seems BluGuitar guys, especially Julian who works on the software, are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work. Both he and Thomas looked kinda tired there so they must've been really working hard over these last few months. I hope they can hire some additional software devs who could help. It seems their software is still quite half-baked and has plenty of bugs, as all pre-release software does.

When this releases, my expectation is that there will be people who will complain that it doesn't have their specific favorite flavor of amp or cab or effects there, or that some modeler has more of them and so on. Which of course ignores that e.g Line6 or Fractal have been developing their systems for a long time now. But at least BluGuitar's system does allow for eventually adding more - both analog and digital effects.

I'm guessing that the device's onboard memory is not designed to hold hundreds of different models at once and the intention is instead to kind of pick your favorites and install them on it as a package of Blugprints. Plus what comes as stock of course. I think that would work well for them because we all have things that we love and others we don't care about so we could leave some of those out and keep all those lists much cleaner.

I'm on their waiting list but it really depends on what my situation looks like when this comes available to buy. I'm of course interested in giving it a try because I feel the Amp 1 Mercury Edition I have is just a really good amp, even if it has its limitations. But on the flipside I've already got fx I like and the Amp 1 does largely enough for me so I don't feel like I necessarily need all the extra stuff the Amp X will offer.

I watched the stream aswell. It really does seem to be the toughest project of Blug's career. Certainly seems like they took on way more work than a small team could easily handle; and it sounds like they added more to the workload (feature set) themselves as they were going along.

I'm still rooting for them though! I am a fan of Blug's work and the Amp1 ME we own here is really great.

Last edited:
I watched the stram aswell. It really does seem to be the toughest project of Blug's career. Certainly seems like they took on way more work than a small team could easily handle; and it sounds like they added more to the workload (feature set) themselves as they were going along.

I'm still rooting for them though! I also am a fan of their work and the Amp1 ME we own here is great.
Yeah, sounds a bit like classic feature creep. It also seems like they had to go back to the drawing board a few times and redo stuff, which is never a nice spot to be in.

I think they’re doing some interesting work, but this doesn’t look good for them. I hope it doesn’t sink them.

I really wish they’d do a small head with dedicated controls for channels. That’d be way more interesting to me.

I think they’re doing some interesting work, but this doesn’t look good for them. I hope it doesn’t sink them.

I really wish they’d do a small head with dedicated controls for channels. That’d be way more interesting to me.
BluGuitar has shown a simple concept drawing for an "Amp 2" somewhere which started from that exact premise.

But then you add an IR loader, which requires a DSP, then you start thinking what else you could use it for and end up with a selection of digital effects. Then you think, we have a boost so let's try to expand that. And then it ends up with analog effects as well.

It's a crowded market and BluGuitar needs to push for something different so that it does not get lumped in with digital modelers. I think they could have a hit on their hands if they can get more tube amp users (the "eww, digital amps!" crowd) to pick the Amp X, and also draw in some of the modeler users, who don't really need 300 amp models and effects in one box, just a handful of really good ones.

I don't know if they can land at the previously mentioned ~2000 € price point in the current economy tho. For reference the FM9 Turbo is 2299 € with German 19% VAT. But if they can, I think that's a pretty good price point considering you can hook up the Amp X straight to a guitar cab without worrying about power amp choices like you do with modelers.

I think they also briefly mentioned that it will have at least stereo in/out USB interface capabilities so that's good.

Based on the video it seems they are pretty close to having the Amp X in a condition where it is fully giggable, which means that most of the functions work as expected but maybe the configuration for those doesn't quite work yet, maybe all the amp/fx models are not there yet etc. Thomas Blug considers the unit to be ready to move forward when he's happy to gig with it. Then it will go to other players for testing and feedback and from there start to ramp up to being sold to the public.

Yeah, I really like the formats that Hughes & Kettner did with the Black Spirit 200. Little head version available with separate footswitches, or the all-in-one floor version.

💯💯💯

I have enough stuff on the floor as it is. Gimme a Blug-powered AMT Stonehead and I’m sold.
1690464658951.png

This, for guitar, and I'd buy it.

Watched a half hour or so. I always found the Amp1 to be an interesting device and would like to give it a try one day.

I do wonder if they’ve gone too far here. Seems like the device loses a bit of its simplistic charm once you get to the second row of controls under the hood.

I find the analog modeling aspect of it (Blugprints?) interesting but I wonder if that’s not being dragged down by the rest of it, trying to be an everything to everyone device.

I have zero interest in an amp, any amp, with built-in effects. When you get to the point that you're paying $2000 for something, chances are you're pretty selective with effects too.

I have zero interest in an amp, any amp, with built-in effects. When you get to the point that you're paying $2000 for something, chances are you're pretty selective with effects too.
Agreed. A simpler concept with good programmable pre and post amp effects loops (stereo for post) and a powerful stereo power amp would be more to my liking.. Maybe with a decent bread and butter delay thrown in for convenience at most.

Seems like an Amp1 but with the BlugPrint thing would have been a cool progression. (While maybe expanding on the Boost and Reverb options that were already built into those devices)

Seems like all the additional control complexity, feature creep, cost, revolves around to expanding beyond that, and for what target audience?

4F65014FF9E14C298658B6DD7A2254C7_12073_4096x1506_6dfe518c4dab1abae35d28d0f3329126.jpg

Yamaha THR100HD wasn't far off. I'm still disappointed that Yamaha has not made a successor for it, it was just some improvements away from being great. Stereo, with blendable channels, separate IRs you can give to each channel's each model...lots of good ideas there hampered by some boneheaded design choices.
Yup; it was close. But yeah had some really dumb ideas, and now they’re gone.

Baking in effects into an amp always gives off the air of "cheap". No matter how good the effects and amp are. Throwing modeling on top of that and oy vey? Probably will sound great but not drawn to it in the slightest.

Baking in effects into an amp always gives off the air of "cheap". No matter how good the effects and amp are. Throwing modeling on top of that and oy vey? Probably will sound great but not drawn to it in the slightest.
Yeah I agree. I mean, I’m sure the effects are great. But am I paying more for the device because of it? Probably. Are they as good as Strymon? Maybe, probably not.

4F65014FF9E14C298658B6DD7A2254C7_12073_4096x1506_6dfe518c4dab1abae35d28d0f3329126.jpg

Yamaha THR100HD wasn't far off. I'm still disappointed that Yamaha has not made a successor for it, it was just some improvements away from being great. Stereo, with blendable channels, separate IRs you can give to each channel's each model...lots of good ideas there hampered by some boneheaded design choices.
This Yamaha amp sounded soooooo good. Too bad it kind of missed whatever imaginary mark for whatever reason.

It's designed to be a replacement for a pedalboard. If Blug has been using pedals + Amp 1 now, Amp X will bundle all that into one, even smaller setup.

I think that's different from e.g amp heads having built in effects, often more as a convenience rather than something trying to challenge or replicate pedals.

For me it comes down to whether I like how they sound and if they are convenient to work with. I feel like I already have most of the Amp X by having an Amp 1 + pedals, it's just significantly larger. My pedalboard is roughly the size of something like 3 Amp X units if two are horizontal and one vertical.

Back