Line Out to 2nd Amp

Liquidfusion

Groupie
Hi - Like to run Line OUT from Fender Blackface Champ to input of Vox AC10

Do I need a DI Box? Have Countryman 85 and Reamp X Amp
Can I just run an instrument cable from Champ Line Out 1/4" (Line Level) to Vox Input 1/4"?

Plan - Without Mismatching Impedance!!
- Line Out from Fender Champ (4 Ohm) to Vox AC10 (16 Ohm)
- Connect ext Alnico Blue Speaker (16 Ohm) - in speaker cab in Vocal Booth - to Vox AC10 (16 Ohm) + Mic + Record

Attachments

• PXL_20240314_214150843.jpg
    PXL_20240314_214150843.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240314_214214624.jpg
    PXL_20240314_214214624.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230105_150039494 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230105_150039494 - Copy.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 13
  • - Studio 2022 1124 (3) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    - Studio 2022 1124 (3) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Studio 06 DPI 150.jpg
    Studio 06 DPI 150.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 14
  • - PXL_20230105_150004948 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    - PXL_20230105_150004948 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That line level signal will be way too hot for the instrument level input of the AC10. It will
likely overdrive and distort it, and change the character of the amp beyond what you are
used to. And I am guessing not in a good or pleasing way. :idk

Expanding on @la szum ...

First, remember that when using the Champ line out, the speaker MUST stay connected.

Running an instrument cable from the champ line out to the Vox input may work (see @la szum post above), but you may also encounter ground loop issues. To prevent/eliminate the ground loop you need to place an isolation transformer between champ out and vox input.

nice examples of iso transformers...

or

A better option is to get the Lehle P-Split which will let you split your guitar signal to both the champ and vox inputs.

you could also try an isolated A/B/Y switch allowing you to select the champ, the vox, and both.

Yeah, unless this thread is about to uncover the world's greatest undiscovered guitar tone I am
guessing running a Champ preamp into the preamp of a Vox at line level is NOT going to sound
good. :oops:
Many Bands do this - Keith Richards / Rolling Stones - maybe they know something we don't

Do I need a DI Box? Have Countryman 85 and Reamp X Amp[/Quote}
Reason I mentioned Countryman 85 and ReampX - to bring Line level back to Mic level - before hitting the amp
Good that you an others confirm Line level is not good.

Last edited:
People talk about using a load box to bring down the line out level from the 1st amp before going into the 2nd amp. Would a Weber Mini Mass attenuator be good for that? Want to see if if can be done - Don't want to blow up my tube amp. Have a Cambridge 15 amp with line out as well.

- Can someone talk about slaving?

Last edited:
People talk about using a load box to bring down the line out level from the 1st amp before going into the 2nd amp. Would a Weber Mini Mass attenuator be good for that? Want to see if if can be done - Don't want to blow up my tube amp. Have a Cambridge 15 amp with line out as well.

- Can someone talk about slaving?

That would "work" but chances are the signal will still be too hot for the Vox input since the amp is expecting to see a guitar level input not line level or even mic level.

When slaving, you send the signal into a power amp that is able to handle a preamp signal. If your second amp ha a serial FX loop you could use the FX return as the power amp input but the AC10 does not have that.

You could try to use a DI box from the Champ line out, engage the DI -20dB pad and use a XLR to 1/4" cable to plug into the Vox. That will correct the signal level but I'm not sure it sound good. It's cheap enough to be worth a shot though.

I don't think slaving would be ideal with these 2 amps. With these amps your best bet would be to just split the signal before the input. Get an ABY box, plug your guitar into it and send the signal to both amps. That's the easiest way to run them together without modding the amps.

Last edited:
Hi My goal is / was - to get the Champ (4 ohm) playing into an Alnico speaker (16 ohm) cab via the though the Vox amp, without blowing up either amp. Just seeing if / how it might be possible. Asking here so I don't destroy either amp. Thanks JiveTurkey!!! Appreciate your caution.

Hi My goal is / was - to get the Champ (4 ohm) playing into an Alnico speaker (16 ohm) cab via the though the Vox amp, without blowing up either amp. Just seeing if / how it might be possible. Asking here so I don't destroy either amp. Thanks JiveTurkey!!! Appreciate your caution.
Agreed a million percent. Gotta keep those amps safe!

You could try to use a DI box from the Champ line out, engage the DI -20dB pad and use a XLR to 1/4" cable to plug into the Vox. That will correct the signal level but I'm not sure it sound good. It's cheap enough to be worth a shot though.

Idea : Champ Line Out > Countryman 85 D I (-20-db Pad) Line to mic level > Nobels ODR-1 Guitar Pedal > Vox AC10C1 > Ext spkr Alnico Blue (16 Ohm)

Is this safe? Will it damage the Champ / Vox AC10C1? Going for the Champ sound in the Alnico Blue speaker

Champ Rectifier = 5Y3 and Power tube = 6V6 - setup now for less clean headroom - early breakup / distortion

Attachments

• PXL_20240316_173948214.jpg
    PXL_20240316_173948214.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Idea : Champ Line Out > Countryman 85 D I (-20-db Pad) Line to mic level > Guitar Pedal(s) > Vox AC10C1 > Ext spkr Alnico Blue (16 Ohm)

Is this safe? Will it damage the Champ / Vox AC10C1? Going for the Champ sound in the Alnico Blue speaker

Champ Rectifier = 5Y3 and Power tube = 6V6 for less clean headroom - early breakup / distortion
It's safe, but I doubt it will sound good. Won't break anything though. Give it a try.

Back